It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Free Newsletter

Help - Need ideas

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Help - Need ideas

Postby tabbycat » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:46 pm

I need some help when it comes to different exercises. I live in the semi-country with a 3 year old and an 8 month old. They only exercise i seem to do is walking but would like some variety. I am thinking about buying some equipment but would like to know what people found they used the most? I am getting really sick of walking.

Even thinking setting up one of the spare rooms into a mini gym. Am very serious about losing weight and keeping it off. But travel 1/2 hour to get to the gym and organise two kids at the creche is not my idea of a good time. PLEASE HELP ME. :roll: :roll:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
tabbycat

Postby natalie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:18 am

The good news is walking is a great form of exersise and I have lost most of my weight by walking alone.Its easy,It costs nothing,and it can be done anywhere.

I have a treadmill which I use alot as I find it really challenges me and I also use hand weights.

I have a gym at home in one of our spare rooms.I think it would be good if you can do it.You dont need much in there.Have you tried exersise videos? This will add a bit of variety and your little one can join in :D

Also playing in the backyard with your 3 year old can beome a workout in itself.Kids seem to have endless energy LOL....

Good luck with it all and we look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Natalie.

"All we have is here and now"
natalie

Postby Tas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:16 am

Hi Tabbycat
I live in a semi-rural area and have set up a little gym in my office - the reason I gained weight a part from medication was the fact that I work long hours at the computer. Now all my equipment is on hand.
What I find I use the most is a gym ball, a rubber mat and a weight. I lie on the mat with feet to the floor, arms above my head- (I hope I am decribing ths so that you know what I mean LOL). I have the gym ball in my hands and I lean forward sucking in tummy at the same time bring my legs up and hand the ball to my legs. I then go back slowly to start position. Then repeat, only bring the ball to my hand in a sit up type motion.
I also lie on the mat with feet to the floor, knees bent, arms to my side-and raise my feet off the floor for a few seconds, you can increase the length of time. As you get more strength you can slowly move your feet further away from you which makes it more challenging.
Another one is: get on the mat on all fours, knees to the mat and hands to the mat, drop your back so that your bottom sticks out. Then, stick say your right leg out and your left arm and hand out, hold for a few seconds - as you get better at that you can hold a weight. Increase the length of time as you get fitter.
I hope all this makes sense, if not ask away I will try and make is easier to understand
Cheers
Maria
TAS
Last edited by Tas on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tas

Postby Tas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:22 am

Oh another one I do regularly is using a chair! Put the chair safely up against a wall so that it doesn't slide back. Hold a weight in your hands in front of your tummy. Back straight, suck in tummy but still breathe, and sit down on the chair and only slightly sit down, don't plonk down, just let your bottom just touch the seat and get straight back up again and repeat, but just remeber to suck in and hold for a few seconds - but breathing is important. As you get better with this exercise you can remove the chair and it will be a squat.

Cheers
Maria
Tas
Tas

Postby tabbycat » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. What type of gym equipment do you have? Thinking of getting a gym ball and an aerofit to start with and possiably getting some weights. My friend has an aerofit an lost a lot of weight just by using that. Just finding it very hard to find time to go for a walk unless it is very early in the morning. Seem to feel like doing exercise when both the girls are having a rest in the afternoon.
[/url]
tabbycat

Postby Tas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 pm

HI Tabbycat (love the name)
I don't know who you were asking sd to what equipment but in case you were asking me I have:
2 different size gym balls
a rubber mat
a set of weights from 1 kilo - 4 kilo
an exercise bike
an ecliptical trainer
a multi gym which is set on abdomen work out
a tread mill
I'm not sure what an aerofit is but it sounds interesting, what is it?
Good luck
Maria
Tas
Tas

Postby Tas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 pm

Ok I just checked out an aerofit and it is very similar to an ecliptical trainer that I have here.
It has steps for the feet and you move you arm at the same time as your legs and feet...that type of thing. It took me months to get used to that piece of equipment, I kept falling off it LOL but I was jiggling to music at the time LOL Not a good look!! :twisted:
Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby tabbycat » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:03 pm

Thanks for that Maria, Sounds like you have quite a good gym setup. Do you think it was an worthwhile investment? Do you use it a lot?

I have use my friends aerofit a few times and let me tell you it is a sight to see. :wink: Very uncoordinated. Spend most of the time laughing at myself but I have fun.
[/url]
tabbycat

Postby Tas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi Tabbycat
I use the gym ball, mat and weights every day - the ecliptical trainer I use most days - maybe 4 days out of 7.
I would definitely buy a gym ball, a nice quality rubber mat, some weights and an areofit (ecliptical trainer)
I use my multi gym occassionally, simply because I am not very strong in the arms and it actually hurts considerably. I may use it more often some time in the future though. I hardly use the treadmill simply because it is on a incline and my knees creak and groan LOL
I really like the ecliptical trainer - as I am stood up and weight bearing. I could only do 2 minutes on it when we first purchased it and I thought what a waste of money!! But it is great and also monitors the heart rate so I ensure I stay at least 10-20 minutes at top rate now. But it took months to get there. Just don't overdo any of the exercises because if you do you tend (or at least I did) to be put off. Make it enjoyable - I get up in the mornings and have my ususal fix of coffee, read emails, about an hour later i ould set myself up to exercises. I'd spend 10 minutes on the ecliptical, 10 on the exercise bike, 10 on gym ball and then another 10 on the ecliptical.
Then I'd shower have some breakfast and work at my computer - but every hour without fail I get up and do something for at least 10 minutes, whether it is the multi gym (very low weights)bike or gym ball.
I am actually enjoying the work on the gym ball - I have just done some press ups with it - it is an easier form of exercise I think.
Let us know what you get and maybe I can send you something a little clearer than my explanations to try out?
You'll enjoy it, just do small amounts at first so that you don't over do it and go off the idea - even set yourself something for afterwards. I would enjoy a banana smoothie with low fat milk :-)
I also found that if I was feeling like that salt or sugar fix I would jump on the bike or trainer and by the time I came off it I was too hot and tired to eat chips or chocolate!! :roll: all I needed was a cold glass of water with a splash of light cordial!
I don't even know how many times tried to co-ordinate myself on the trainer - the more i tried the more I teetered on the edge of falling off!! Very funny to see, ask my OH LOL
Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby tabbycat » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks Maria for that. Its my birthday in a few days so I might get the fitball and some weights. :) I will keep an eye in the paper for an aerofit. Had a look at the ecliptical machine - can see how someone would keep falling off bcause I would.

Congratulations on the weight loss so far.
Tabbycat
[/url]
tabbycat

Postby Tas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:37 pm

Happy Birthday!!
Check out ebay because I saw one on there today (checking out what an aerofit was) and they were very reasonably priced.
I'll have another look and see if I can find the price - in australia too
Thans but I still have a few more kilos to go and even maybe some more, gotta get rid of this gut :-)

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:38 pm

I've lost most of my weight through:
walking
badminton
occasional strength exercises (the plain old situps, pushups, leg lifts, squats type thinng and a bit of pilates)

I have also just bought myself a pushbike to ride to and from work as I find now I've started work I generally don't have the time/energy to drive home and THEN exercise. I figured I can combine travelling and exercise.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby tabbycat » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:11 pm

Thanks very much for your help. Have got a few ideas running around in my head. Now I jsut have to put them to practise.
:wink:
[/url]
tabbycat

Postby Dolly » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:29 pm

One day I'll take a short walk

the next day I'll do
20 crunches
20 step-ups
20 wall push-ups
20 leg lifts (each leg)
100 dumbbell lifts (each arm, they weigh 3kg each)
Dolly

Return to Exercise Talk