It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:33 am

Free Newsletter

Personal Trainers

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Personal Trainers

Postby GoddessInside » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen I would love your input !

I have a few questions about personal trainers and am hoping you could provide me information.

So here we go:

:?: How long have you had a personal trainer ?
:?: How soon before you saw / felt any results ?
:?: How much do you pay ? Per session ? Bulk sessions ? Monthly ? etc
:?: Are your training sessions personalized ?
:?: Does your trainer listen to your needs or just throw you in ?
:?: Any other thoughts ?

I am trying to weigh up whether I should try and fit a PT into our budget or let it go at this point in time.

My current exercise includes walking & upper body workouts, I would love to incorporate other exercise into it, however I am frightened by it all. I was thinking that a PT might be the right thing for me, but still not convinced.

Thank you all for your input :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Mandie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 am

I think a good personal trainer would be awesome for you Helen, one who was experienced in dealing with very overweight people and would know how to push you without overdoing things.

I've had two sessions with a PT now, I got them free with my gym so I am not entirely sure what they cost :)

After each session, I KNOW I have worked 1000x harder than I would have on my own, and he gets things out of me I never knew I could do! I think it's the best thing ever, and when my free sessions run out, I'll most likely continue on and pay for further sessions. He takes me to my limit but not past, and he ups the ante every week in a way I can handle.

He varies things (even between two sessions) so I don't get bored and he's really motivating and encouraging :)

Totally recommend it!
Mandie

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:00 am

I started going to the gym when I was 16. I really got into it when I was 17. I'm not 20, and I've made more progress in the last few months than I have for the passed 3 years!

I benefited dramatically by following a proper program rather than doing my own thing.

I only had one session with a trainer - he ran through what I wanted to do, and he set me up with a program and even recommended a diet he uses for weight loss while training.

You shouldn't need a personal trainer all the time with you - just there occasionally to make sure you're doing the proper technique in exercises... you should have the motivation already because here you are! :D

Perhaps pay for a pack deal at the gym - they should have a deal for a few sessions, or even the membership may come with a few free sessions.
Juddy

Postby bferbear » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:34 am

I am paying for one session a week with a PT at the gym I go to. I found it keeps me motivated and he pushes me harder than when I am on my own. The other positive is that I have ended up with several free "mini sessions" when I have been working out and he hasn't had any clients booked, he has come over and yelled at me for no charge at all. :P

Another point to remember is that their prices ARE negotiable. Discuss booking multiple appts at the same time and working out what the rates will be. The guy I am using wanted $70 an hour, we negotiated and I am getting a much better rate.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby ellecee » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:58 pm

I highly recommend PT's.
Its great that you're not just jumping into it.
look at recommendations/credentials, and you've of course got to be able to click with them, after all its all about you and your performance and getting the best from them.

I had an initial 2hr appt. with my PT, going thru goals/nutrition/exercise/motivation/ and anything I wanted from him. From that meeting he worked out a program to suit me and my needs etc.
I workout at home so he centred it all around the equip. i have. So i received an 8wk program and have PT sessions on a casual basis. It's all up to me and what I want and can afford.
I pay $35 per 1/2hr and $65 for the hour. At the end of the 8wks I book a 1/2hr follow-up session with him where we sit and discuss how Im doing both exercise and diet, and work out the next 8wk block.
I would love to afford it weekly, but Im finding 2-4wkly is working for me. My added plus with him is that I can ring him for a quick chat if need be. Its such great support.

They are catering to your own needs, so you know the time you are putting into your training is quality time and the work you're doing is within your capabilities.

So ask lots of questions of them and what they offer, each are different. I was taken in by my PTs total passion for his work..he truly thrives on what he does.

Best thing Ive done is to get a PT. Ive never felt more focused and happy as I do now.

It's all about YOU.
all the best, :)
SW: 142.4 - Nov '07
CW: 119.2
GW: 75.0

4th mini goal: 115kg - Pandora Charm
~ I am one workout stronger than yesterday ~
ellecee

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:02 pm

ooh where is your pt at mandie?
ive just joined fitness first and im after a pt :)
Jisgone

Postby Karma » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:10 am

I've been with my PT for a year now. I've definitely felt differences, my strength and balance have greatly improved. I've lost some weight, but I've been quite unreliable food wise. The first couple of times you'll be really sore for a few days but trust me, your body starts to heal faster. Now I barely feel anything the next day.

I pay $30 for a 30 min session. He normally charges $35 but my parents originally bought me 10 sessions for $300 for Christmas last year and he kept it at that price when I started paying for myself. I pay each session individually just because I find it easier that way.

My sessions are personalized in that everyday is different. Lately we've been doing alot of boxing because we did one session of it 2 months ago and I really enjoyed it, and since then I've been nagging him to do more. But we try new combos and mix in some ab work, and I think we're gonna start moving towards kick boxing as well once I build up my punch strength ;)

My PT listens to my needs - not wants. "I'm tired" is not an excuse, neither is "I can't". That being said, he also knows I've had hip and ankle problems so he knows to take it easy in that respect. I think its a matter of trust - he knows what my body is capable of more than I do sometimes, and even though my muscles are screaming at me to give up, I -can- do another 5 reps or last another 10 seconds, etc.

I think its really important to be able to relate to your PT as a person, not just a service. Know what you need to motivate you - some people need to be screamed at, others need to be encouraged. My PT has become a good friend over this past year - he's even offered to come to my uncles funeral earlier this year, which meant alot to me.

Good luck in your search :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCmINhO/]
[/url]

Postby Mandie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 am

jewels - hes at CBD health spa :)
Mandie

Postby sassi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:20 am

How long have you had a personal trainer ?
i went for about a year - starting late 05 & then stopped around sept 06, but then started again about a month ago

Question How soon before you saw / felt any results?
i saw fitness-related results very quickly - i.e. extra weights added on certain exercises, completing cardio in shorter amounts of time etc. in terms of weight, i have lost a kg in the last fortnight - so i think you see weight benefits fairly quickly as well.

Question How much do you pay ? Per session ? Bulk sessions ? Monthly ? etc
i go once a week. as someone else said, their rates aren't set in stone & you can negotiate. previously i was doing 55 min sessions for $40, now he charges $49 for these, but also offers group sessions for $30 for an hour - so i'm doing those. when he says group sessions it's not like you're all doing the same things, each person is working on their own program, there just might be 3 of you there at the one time. i actually find it motivating to have other people there - i'm even less likely to ease off the pace! (my trainer works out of his home - more about that below!)

Question Are your training sessions personalized ?
very much so - i've noticed this even more now that i'm doing the group sessions. each person has a different workout & i also do slightly different things each time i go. he also gave me an eating plan as well and has suggested an exercise plan for at home between sessions, based on what equipment i have available to me.

Question Does your trainer listen to your needs or just throw you in ?
nope, he absolutely listens to me. don't get me wrong, he pushes me hard - he won't let me get away with not pushing myself because i think i can't do it, but he always gives time to recover if someone genuinely needs it. a good consultation before you start with a trainer also gives them the info they need regarding previous injuries, health conditions etc.

Question Any other thoughts ?
i think a pt can be the best experience - very few people have the ability to push themselves as hard as a pt can. most of us tend to give up when we think we've hit our limits - not knowing that we are actually capable of much, much more. my biggest advice would be to shop around - any good trainer will offer a free session & consultation to see if the two of you can work together. i'm not a real gym person (yet - i may well become one at some stage!) and i found my trainer on the net - he actually has a gym set up in his unit (well, he used to live there but i think the equipment etc has taken over the whole place now!) and i feel far less intimidated by this set up.
my trainer is probably the best possible fit for me - he pushes me without intimidating me, recognises that i'm quite competitive (even against myself) so knows to tell me when i'm beating a time, lifting a heavier weight etc to keep my motivation going.
i know it's a cliche, but i walk out of those sessions feeling a million dollars! i feel fit & strong afterwards & motivated to eat in a way that fuels my body to operate as efficiently as possible and so very positive.

sorry. i've rambled! as you can see i'm kinda passionate about this topic! i think mostly because i'd struggled along for years on my own not really getting anywhere & the pt has just helped me focus :lol:
sassi

Postby GoddessInside » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 pm

Thank you for all your input guys n gals ! I think Im going to look into and see how I go. The only thing that will stop me at the moment is the $$$ aspect, however Im sure I could twist hubbys arm around that :D

Thank you again for all your wonderful information !
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby milkyway » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi Helen - I had a PT for a few months in 2006. I left the gym when he did! He was brilliant - really nice young guy who pushed me just enough and then a little bit more. He was so encouraging and I learnt so many drills and exercises that I can do on my own now. The only downside was the expensive. For a while, I was going to see him twice per week and it was costing me $360 per month but this also included the gym membership. I quit the gym because the hours it was open conflicted on my availability. Now I go to a gym that's open 5am to 11pm most days :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:22 pm

My partner has a friend who is a PT, and he seems to be keen to help us, but I dont know how it sits with me as I would prefer a stranger I think!

I think they can be a really good idea though. After reading AJ Rochester's book, the one thing I kept thinking was "yeah I am sure I could do it too if i had someone to support me like that!"
Gal Friday

Return to Exercise Talk