It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 am

Free Newsletter

WHY WONT WALKING HELP YET?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

WHY WONT WALKING HELP YET?

Postby jaydees » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:13 pm

i have been walking everyday for 45 minutes.this will be the second week and i have sore legs etc and am watching what i eat.am i not walking for long enough cause i havent budged on the scales and am losing hope.considering i have been walking for 2 weeks on tuesday and am walking fast as i can.could anyone please give me some advice :(
jaydees

Postby carleyjt » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:23 pm

First bit of advice is 'DONT GIVE UP"

My body did this too. When we decide to lose weight sometimes the body goes into shock and starts starvation mode (where it stores extra fat) so it takes a while for your body to realise that this is the way it is going to be from now on and starts getting back to normal and it burns fat.

Also you may be losing fat but due to the walking your muscles are growing so this adds weight making it look like you havent lost any weight at all.

And lastly it usually takes about 2 weeks before your body accepts anything new so from now on you should notice some changes. Pay attention to your clothes rather than your scales as they are usually a better indication of weight loss.

Hope i havent bored you :oops: Good luck
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby jaydees » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:30 pm

thanks for the advice.i know i havent lost any around my waist etc cause my clothes still feel the same but atleast i know it may take a little while.yes my body is probably in shock at moment.not used to exercise!thanks again ,no u didnt bore me
jaydees

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:46 pm

when I started I severely cut what I was eating. This had the effect of making my body store everything AND killed my energy levels, making me all shakey. I ended up putting ON weight.

Also, be sure that you're drinking enough water so your body can get rid of all the stuff it needs to. I've been skimping a bit on this lately :oops: should get back on the bottle (of water)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tas » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:02 am

What ever you do, don't give up! I started this journey in October last year and in 2 weeks I GAINED 500 grams!! I was astounded!! Then I realised (through this forum) that I had turned some fat in to muscle...
You said your legs are aching, then perhaps they have more muscle now and very soon you will notice the scales. The scales was the last thing to show I lost weight - my clothes were the first.
Keep on going and you will see a remarkable difference.
Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby jaydees » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:51 pm

i dont drink alot of fluids.i have half glass of oj in morning and i cup skim milk mid morning,maybe 3 glasses of water if i am lucky and a can of coke zero.i probably do need to add more water.
jaydees

Postby Groovychic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:36 am

You need to drink a lot more water than that. At least 1 and a half litres of water. I drink about that, plus have a glass of metamucil each morning, numerous cups of tea, and normally, either a cordial or milk or juice. My sister, whom is a nurse, said if you are peeing yellow you are not having another fluid! The other thing that you might all find interesting is this. My girlfriend went to see her doc the other day and said she had been trying to lose weight and had been having diet choosing, such as coke zero, diet yogurt etc and the doc said not to have that. She said sugar is much better than the pretend stuff in the diet products. She said it is better to cut out the sugary products, or at least reduce the amount you have, than to substitute them for the diet products. She said you will have more trouble losing weight by having the diet products. And I realise what she is talking about. I have been drinking more soda now that I have been drinking the diet versions than I did before when I just had the standard coke etc! So once the stuff in the cupboard is gone then I won't be buying anymore diet stuff. My girlfriend is the same. So it will be interesting to see how it goes. The other thing is that it may take over a month before you see any difference on the scales Jaydee. And you really have to make sure you sweat for a minimum of 20 mins. Well with me I have to. Thats why I have upped the walking to a treadmill. I was power walking for an hour a day with wrist weights and it made no difference on the scales. So I am trying to treadmill and now I sweat! So if it means you have to add a bit of jogging sections to your walk to make you sweat then that might be what you have to do.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Return to Exercise Talk