It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am

Free Newsletter

Fitness First

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Fitness First

Postby ali » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:15 am

Im thinking of joining a gym for some extra motivation and Fitness First is the only one in my area.

Im just wondering if anyone has been to a FF gym and what they think of it? Also, how much does it cost? The website doesn't seem to be very helpful.

Thanks! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby sassi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:42 pm

i used to be a member & i'm not a big fan - but that's because it wasn't suited to me specifically - loads of people love them!

i thought the facilities were pretty good - i've been to a couple of them & i thought the showers/changerooms were nice and there was a reasonable amount of equipment.

i think it cost me around $80 a month for a membership that allowed me to go to more than one of their gyms, it's cheaper if you just nominate one gym. i think it's a 12 month contract that you need to commit to.

the reason they didn't suit me was that they didn't do any sort of fitness assessment to begin with & just left me to my own devices. there were no real staff on the floor at the ones i went to - mostly because the staff there (other than on the desk & taking classes) were actual trainers who were either training someone or who would prefer you to pay for their advice.

my pt calls them 'finance first' :lol: BUT i do think if you're someone who already knows what workout they should be doing (and how to adjust it as you go along) or who really just wants to go and do cardio/classes, then it's not a bad option - they definitely offer lots of les mills classes.

hope that doesn't sound too negative!!

also - i think sarah c will be able to point you to a site where you can get a free pass so you can try out the gym :)
sassi

Postby ali » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Sassi.

Lol at "Finance First". I can understand where you are coming from, its so much nicer going to a friendly gym where people are willing to give you advice and support without a price tag attached, thats why I usually prefer smaller gyms, but Fitness First is the only one in my area. There is actually two in my area :shock:

I think I will have to keep thinking about it...

Thanks for the help!
[/url]
ali

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 pm

http://www.gymlink.com.au :D

I went to a FF many many years ago. I can't remember what happened, but I ended up spending $45 and couldn't get it back... I wasn't happy.

They seem expensive, and from what I have heard, very persistent re getting you to join. If you got a free pass, I would be expecting a few follow up calls from them to see how you liked it!
SarahC

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:13 pm

my bf bought me a ff membership for xmas cause theres a new 'platinum' one opening 100metres away from my work
i think its $19.95 a week but that was an opening special, normally the platinum ones are $29.95 a week altho i have no idea what the difference is!
from looking on the site the platinum ones seem to be in more expensive areas, and non platinum members cant go to them
only thing it doesnt have is a pool :( but theres one 10 mins from my house that does have a pool so i might go there
also they can always waive the joining fee, but its impossible to make them waive the $70 paperwork fee!
dont sign up unless they waive the joining fee!
Jisgone

Postby Karma » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:46 pm

I'm with FF and I really do enjoy it, but I can see where the Finance bit comes in.
I unintentionally held out as long as I could when they were signing me up (I was scared of committing to anything financially) and in the end I paid like $50 joining fee, nothing else. Depends who you're dealing with really.
I found the variety helpful in someways - I go to the Murray St one in Perth regularly, but I was going to the Cannington one from time to time to use their pool as well. It also helped when I spent a few weeks in Sydney I could still use the gyms over there instead of being stuck for 3 weeks.
I pay about $35 a fortnight for my membership, but I think it may have gone up to be honest. Also be careful - if you do sign up and decide not to continue after the 12 month contract, you have to give them a written declaration otherwise they won't take you off it, and it takes them a month to take you off the thing as well. So if you want out after 12 months, put your paperwork in at the 11 month mark so you don't get charged any extra.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCmINhO/]
[/url]

Postby ali » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Hmm, that really does work out quite expensive. And they seem to reel you in with quite a few catches eg. one month to quit the contract and having to sign up for 12 months.

What ever happened to the gyms where you could pay as you go, pay for a week, month, few months, etc. It seems like quite a big commitment. I think I will have to keep looking unfortunately because I just can't afford that! Oh well.

My sister has a very small gym at her apartment block so maybe I will just have to use that, hehe. But I cant use it without her and she is always so busy. :roll:

Thanks for all the advice guys, it has been really helpful! Thanks! :D
[/url]
ali

Return to Exercise Talk