It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Free Newsletter

Should i be doing more

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Should i be doing more

Postby phatcappy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:36 pm

okay so this is my basic exercise regime:

I go to the gym at least 3 times a week for around an hour/hour and a half. Each session i do a little weights and the rest is high intensity (HR above 160). I burn around 1600Kj each session doing cardio alone.

The days i dont go to the gym, i work at coles in 9hr shifts in grocery stocking shelves etc which involves alot of heavy lifting and a lot more walking. Would this be counted as exercise? Or should i be going to the gyms on these days as well?

On top of my exercise regime is a firly strict diet and my daily intake is around 4000-4500Kj.

is this enough for weight loss or should i be doing more?
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:59 pm

How do you feel with your current regime? Do you physically feel like you're doing enough or do you think you could do more? If you're sore and tired then you're probably doing enough, but if you have excess energy and aren't sore then do a bit more!

Maybe 2 30min walks a week on the days you don't go to the gym might help.

I think the stacking shelves could count, its physical work.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Juddy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:09 pm

When training for the movie, 300, the actors weren't restricted to the typical gym equipment... but were put through unusual exercises.

One of their exercises involved throwing car tyres!

The typical way of building muscle these days is by using the exercise machines designed to target muscle areas and re-create the type of exercises that people in the olden days would have done by working or even fighting!

So yes! Stacking shelves would probably work your whole body (depending on what you were stacking and how you were stacking it).

A friend of mine does bodybuilding, also does landscaping... but he finds himself more exhausted and sore after work than he does at the gym!
Juddy

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:39 am

That is so true Juddy!

Remember the Rocky movie where he fights the Russian? I think its Rocky IV. The russian uses all this high tech gym equipment and Rocky does pull ups, skipping, old fashioned sit ups, punches meat, drags a slay in the snow, goes for a run, and does all his training without equipment AND he beats the Russian :D

That movie gets me so pumped, I might watch it today hhehhehehe
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby bferbear » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:07 am

A friend of mine is one of the most ripped individuals I know and he has never lifted a weight or set foot in a gym in his life. He works as a bricklayer so has a very active job, and he does 200 pushups and around the same of situps every day. I watched him one arvo, doing 50 normal pushups, 50 left hand only, 50 right hand only and 50 handstand pushups. (I then felt so exhausted watching him I had a beer and a rest, but that might be more about why I am here and less about him.)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Juddy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:54 am

I love watching Rocky, haha.

Bricklayer eh? He'd be bending down, lifting up, twisting sideways - moving bricks around would be just like weight lifting but using bricks rather than using plates! He'd pretty much be working his whole body if he did a variety of tasks.
Juddy

Return to Exercise Talk