It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Free Newsletter

outdoor fitness training sessions

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

outdoor fitness training sessions

Postby dan_L08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Has anyone tried outdoor group fitness sessions?

Are they fun? What do you like most about them?

I am wondering whether to give it a go for somethin different!
dan_L08

Postby Karnak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:03 pm

I do Step Into Life and I love it. It covers all fitness levels (when I was 188kg I was training with marathoners - they just ran further and harder), its a tough workout but each session is different so theres variety there too. I also think of it is "honest" exercises as your using the outdoors and the equipment at hand. Like the curb for step ups and a park bench to do pushups. Most of all though is that your doing it with other people and they become friends - which is even more incentive to go. At gyms sure theres lots of people around but rarely do people talk.
Karnak

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 am

I am a bit afraid of joining in on these! my partners friend is a PT and is running these once a week for just some people he knows, and invited us. I am too afraid to go. I dont need to have my brother in laws and my partner's friends see me collapse on teh ground do I??? Would love to have the guts to go though!
Gal Friday

Postby jodie259 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm

The latest "womens health" magazine has an offer for 8 free sessions with "step into life"... so I registered.

I'm waiting for them to call me so we can arrange a time.

I'm really interested in doing this exercise... although the idea of extreme weather (heat or rain) puts me off. And I'm hoping (praying) they do session after 5pm or on the weekends as I have a baby & a toddler and it would be so hard to take them with me and leave the baby in a pram in the park while I work out.

Just a question for Karnak... they do a fitball programme... but do you have to take your own fitball to the class or do they provide one? and how many people are in each class?
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby Mandie » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Oooh let me know how it goes! I was thinking of trying the step into life thing(I got the womens health mag too) but I'm a bit of a wuss!
Mandie

Postby Karnak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:34 pm

I really can't speak highly enough of Step Into Life. Its changed my life and probably given me 20 years of living.

Fitball : I lurvvve fitball. I do a SITL fitball class every Friday morning and its great. When I started I used one of the trainers balls for a few weeks and then got my own. Just let the trainer know you don't have one.

Class size varies. My fitball had 3 of us on Friday morning, but then our cardio had about 15 on the saturday morning. It varies with classes and different SITL's.

You mentioned being out in the weather. I still have a copy of the email I first sent to my trainer (before I had been to any class) stating the same thing. In reality it really doesn't rain that much in Melbourne anymore, if it starts raining during class its actually a welcome relief (oooh refreshing) and during all sessions you will sweat and feel exhausted (its exercise afterall) so you tend not to notice the heat (humidity you do though). The trainers are excellent though with the heat. On a 38deg day last week I we worked out in the shade where we had a slight breeze and the trainer brought a big bag of ice for our water bottles, what with extended rest breaks it felt no different.

Bottom line though is the people that SITL attracts. Not sure how they do it but everyone is so unpretentious, supportive and friendly. Theres no lycra bunnies, its the tracky dak and grubby white t-shirt brigade - whether they are superfit or beginners. Everyone's needs and fitness levels are taken into account and catered for but its a team thing and you work as a team. YOu pant together, you whinge together, you take your heart rates together and you leap over kerbs together. Its fun with friends getting fit.

Hmmm boy I can crap on. but hey kinda passionate about how supportive SITL has been for me.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Mandie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:36 pm

that sounds awesome.. i'm really tempted to take the plunge..

but not sure! will think about it more...
Mandie

Return to Exercise Talk