It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 am

Free Newsletter

Sports watch

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Sports watch

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a sports watch that has a timer, counts kilometres and calories or kilojoules.

Just wondering if there is such a watch?

If so, which brand do you recommend?

Bella
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi Bella, here's something I posted on another topic about Heart Rate monitors that may help - I reckon one of the Garmin products would be suitable, but not sure about the calorie counting - might have to check the specs...

I've got an old (about 7 or 8 years) Polar heart rate monitor, but it has a strap. Is it accurate? I believe it used to be, but recently I went running with it and it told me my heart rate was just under 200 :shock: I didn't keel over and die, it was back down to about 88bpm about 10 seconds later... so methinks it's time for a new one. When I bought it, it was about $200 at the time. I reckon you'd be able to get a basic Polar HRM with a stopwatch for under $100 these days.

I will get a Garmin Forerunner 305 in the near future - it's got gps so you can accurately measure the distance you run/walk as well as km splits etc and it's a heart rate monitor (strapless, I believe). You can download all the info into a program on your computer and analyse your progress (or lack of!) The trouble is, they're about $350 :( But it will be good to have the gps in case I ever get los (again!) out bush :oops:

However, there are other, cheaper products by Garmin or Polar that are also recommended. The important thing to consider is getting a warranty for it in case something goes wrong with it.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks Sandra :D ( I just asked Em for your name :oops: :D )

That's some interesting info you've given me.

Yike's a GPS system lol I'm useless at using GPS. My dad bought one for my car cos my map reading skills are shall we say...hopeless :lol: and I have trouble setting where I want to go, it always connects me to the net :x :oops:

Can you get these watches from sports shops?
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:10 pm

You'll find lots of good topics about various kinds of sports watches, gps watches and heart rate monitors here:

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/in ... owforum=40

I'm sure you'll find a discussion to suit what you're looking for :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Hey Bella Hon :)

A heart rate monitor sounds like what you're after. Polar make excellent ones - http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/

Also, do a search on ebay and see what comes up :)

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for that link Sandra.

Em I will have to look at that site too.

I'm getting one this weekend cos I want to start recording my times, distance and cals burnt on my 3 weekly runs :D

I'll be sure to check out ebay too. Bound to be cheaper than RPP.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey babe

Check http://www.oodirect.com.au too :) Cheaper prices!

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Exercise Talk