It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:28 am

Free Newsletter

Flippers V no flippers

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Flippers V no flippers

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:19 am

Hey everyone, just wondering whether or not you use flippers when you swim? I'm not using them right now and doing 30laps of a 25mtr pool which last time took me 25mins, but I had just been to the gym.

I'm aiming to do 40-50 today with no gym.

Just wondering if its better for you to use flippers or is it cheating? I mean, I could do more with flippers but i'm guessing I wouldn't be working as hard, is that right?

Should I get some or just keep going without?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:03 am

I would like to know about this too! My partner wanted to buy some for the pool but I said it was cheating. But now that I think about it some more... if you cant do the laps as well without them (we are just getting back into this) and if the flippers make you balance better etc and you keep on going.... isnt it better anyway?

Is it better to do 30 laps with flippers or 5 without?
Gal Friday

Postby Karnak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:48 pm

IMHO and as an avid swimmer.

Flippers would be cheating to a degree as because they increase your speed and help propel you faster through the water thus you don't have to work as hard keeping your own buoyancy and making your own momentum. Also in a 25m pool you would really be reducing the amount of actually swimming your doing as it would be pushoff- a few strokes, turn and push off etc.

However : With flippers if your doing nice "open" leg movements it would actually make it a harder workout on your legs as the flippers would create resistance. Also if you have sore legs they can take the strain off to some degree.
Karnak

Postby Karnak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Just had a bit of perspective and want to see if my ticker thing is working.

If your swimming thats great, its a healthy amazing form of exercise. If flippers make it more fun for you then use them - from a big picture perspective it wouldn't be a huge calorie difference between with flippers and without them. The important thing is moving and having fun.

That said I'm leaving work and driving straight to the pool - its 41deg here !!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks Karnak :)

I will continue to stay flipper free :D

Unfortunately I don't have access to a pool larger than 25mtrs, but do consciously give myself minimal push off at either end of the pool.

I did 40 laps today, the most i've done :D Will hopefully get to 50 laps next week...maybe :P
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Return to Exercise Talk