It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Possible injury?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Possible injury?

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 am

Since Monday, I have noticed bad pain around my ankles when I do anything more than walking. So jogging, running, skipping, stepping etc absolutely canes the front of my foot just below where an anklet sock would fit. The pain is at the back too, but mainly at the front.

Monday I didn't listen and worked hard, Tuesday didn't listen, Wednesday was the day I FINALLY listened and my body was like "about time woman :evil: " So from Wed-Fri I have just done things like walking, swimming, pilates, upper body weights, sit ups, push ups etc.

Well, this morning - Saturday I still cannot jog/run/skip without really bad pain. I strapped the area and it made very little difference. I've tried massaging with muscle and joint repair products but still no good.

Should I go see someone or give it a few more days of light exercise?

My weigh in is tomorrow and I wanted to go hardcore today damnit!!! Also, there is a cardio combat class that i'm dying to try on Monday! I know my body comes first and I must pay attention though.

Any ideas?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby sassi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:53 am

hi fiona, have you been icing it after you exercise? you can get anit-inflams over the counter at the chemist as well but i reckon if it's giving you trouble - i'd go & see someone - maybe straight to the physio?
sassi

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 am

Nope sassi, I haven't been icing it, didn't even think to do so :oops: but I will now, thanks! Going to take it easy over the w/e with upper body weights, walking, horse riding and will ice, massage etc and hopefully it will be ok for Monday.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby ellecee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Fiona,
Sry to hear about your injury.
I would get some anti-inflammatory gel or tabs and as sass said, to ice it as often as you can as well. Best to play safe and see a physio I'd say too.
Hope you're over it quickly and gl on your weigh in :)
SW: 142.4 - Nov '07
CW: 119.2
GW: 75.0

4th mini goal: 115kg - Pandora Charm
~ I am one workout stronger than yesterday ~
ellecee

Postby Sas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:21 am

I would def get it checked out hun.

A few years ago I had bad pains in the side of my feet and just kept pushing it (which was so stupid of me cause I should know better from working in the fitness industry). One day I was playing hockey and pushed off on my right foot and felt something snap. I had broken a bone in my foot. Turned out the pains I was feeling were stress fractures in my feet. So listen to someone who was silly! lol

A good rule is that if it doesn't ease as you warm up and get into exercise it means that it is probably not a muscular problem so should def be checked out.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby SarahC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:36 am

I had something similar happen last year. I was out running and my foot just got really sore. It lasted for a few months and hurt even when I was just walking. Then it went away for a few weeks and came back again! Was so annoying!! I went to a doctor and had xrays done... waste of time that was. Only thing that fixed it, unfortunately, was that I had to take a break from running for a while. Still feel nervous about running now, but so far so good (touch wood!)

So yeah, try and keep the pressure off it as much as possible. Stick to other high intensity stuff that doesn't put pressure on your foot.

Hope it gets better soon!!
SarahC

Return to Exercise Talk