It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

rower vs elliptical trainer

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

rower vs elliptical trainer

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:09 pm

Well i have decided to buy a new piece of gym equipment for home, i had decided on an elliptical trainer but was shopping around when a guy in orbit fitness convinced me to try out a rower. What a workout!
so now i cant decide which one i want to buy? the cross trainer is $1000 and the rower is $2000 buy the guy said ill burn double the calories and tone up alot more on the rower than i would on the cross trainer
any advice on what to get would be much appreciated :)

Postby bferbear » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:14 pm

My own personal preference would be for the rower. I cannot use the elliptical trainer to save my life. I am totally uncoordinated on it and cannot get into a rhythm. My PT is the same, he reckons he hates the things.

The fact that the rower enables you to fit a greater level of exercise into a shorter period of time would just be a bonus.

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm

i was thinking the burning my cals in a shorter period was a massive bonus, im so short on time as it is!
im trying to convince myself that spending double what i wanted to is worth it because it means i wont have to buy weights cause the rower tones almost all the muscles in your body! and i can do weights and cardio at the same time
its also got a great feature on it where u have a pace boat racing next to u on the screen, so if i want to beat a time i have to try and beat the little boat racing next to me haha
it looks fun!
and u can connect them to a usb and race people all over the world which could be fun

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:26 pm

I didn't know rowers were so effective! I think I may have to save up for one now. I currently have a (cheap) elliptical trainer and I love it, but if you find you really enjoyed your test run on the rower I say buy it. I think the best choice is the one you're most likely to stick to in the long run.

Postby Beetle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:36 pm

You'll find it a lot easier to get your heart rate up on a rowing machine than you will on an elliptical. Rowing is a great all over body workout. Is it a concept II machine you are looking at? They are quite often around second hand for a good price, so maybe this is something you could consider? I'm a rower so am a little biased on this topic, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:23 pm

My old PT told me that the rower was the best all round machine to use. But the trouble is, I get bored of it after about 2 mins... I mean, what kind of program can you do on it? Go faster? Go slower? Go uphill? :P

So if you think you'd definitely use it, go for it, but think about what else you could do with that $1k!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby ellecee » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Its a personal choice I guess, and like mentioned previously.... which one would you enjoy most and stick to in the long run?
Later this year we are going to buy another piece of equipment and it would also be the same 2 choices. Will probably go with the rower ourselves (Concept II, as Beetle mentioned). Hubby used to row for Surf Lifesaving.
The one you're looking at sounds great.
Good luck and let us know what you decide upon.
LC :)
SW: 142.4 - Nov '07
CW: 119.2
GW: 75.0

4th mini goal: 115kg - Pandora Charm
~ I am one workout stronger than yesterday ~

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm a bit partial to the cross trainer.. the rower doesn't get my heart rate up, and if you're not careful with your technique it's easy to strain your back. I like the cross trainer because of the different programs and find it has a lot more variety.

But if you find it gives you a better work out, by all means go for the rower!! It's all about what works for you!
Too bad you can't afford both hey!! :lol: :lol:

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:18 pm

it was a concept II i was looking at, maybe ill buy the cross trainer now and save up for the rower, can be my treat for when i hit 80kgs cause thats when im going to really think about toning up

Postby Sarrah » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 pm

I recently hired a x-trainer and LOVE it! I feel like it is a total body workout, I found I burn heaps more calories on this rather than the good ole 'dreadmill'.
hello.curves - my blog

Re: rower vs elliptical trainer

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:28 pm

I have a rowing machine, I used to use it quite a lot but it got boring and it doesn't burn as many cals as my exercise bike.
I used to get really sore knees on the rowing machine, but its a great bit of equipment but If you want to burn calories I would
suggest an exercise bike or an elliptical trainer.

~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

Return to Exercise Talk