It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Is walking really enough?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Is walking really enough?

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm developing a chin splint on my left leg *Ouch*

Yesterday I did a 5k run and took it really slow as I didn't want to aggravate it. Anyway this morning before I had my training session with my PT I decided to go for another run for the cardio aspect of my work out (I find the cardio machines really boring at the gym).

When I started out everything felt fine, like I could continue running. But then I started to worry about aggravating my chin splint more. I've heard that you should rest up so the chin splints don't get worse. So I decided to walk briskly.

I walked for an hour and I didn't even build up a sweat nor was I puffed. I over took quite a few people who were also walking briskly. I'm thinking was this enough of a cardio work out to be effective for weight loss?

I feel like I haven't done enough cardio wise (even though my PT session had me working up a sweat) so I might go do an aerobics class tonight. This is my thought though: am I doing to much exercise and burning up to much calories?

Most days during my lunch break I walk for 20-30 minutes (no sweating either which is good, as I wouldn't want colleagues to think I have bad hygiene :lol: )

Is the hour and 20-30 minute walk I have and will complete today adequate enough. I've read comments that when starting out walking is fine but as your fitness progresses its not so hence not burning up enough energy.

The point is: is the brisk 1 hour walk enough of a cardio work out even though I wasn't sweating and could have carried on a conversation with ease and no puffing?

Is another hours exercise session tonight to much?

I don't want my body to start getting comfortable with 3 hours of exercise a day, hence having to increase it week by week to keep losing.

I have jumbled thoughts going round and round my head :roll:.

I hope this post makes sense :lol:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Postby oostevens » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:10 pm

wat exactly is a shin splint? i have heard people talk of them before

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I think it's just like a sprain in the shin muscles, not really sure though. A lot of people had them when I was in the navy... from all the marching!

As for walking, you would still be burning calories as you are doing it. I think, as you get fitter, the walking has less effect because your body learns how to do the excercise more efficiently and hence burne less calories. So you need to go for longer, or walk faster, even run. If you don't think you're working hard enough, maybe chat to the PT at the gym to see what excercises they recommend that might be higher in intensity, without aggravating your shins :) It might mean having to go on the cardio machines... in that case, maybe bring some music, or get a magazine to look at (look, not read, because if you're working hard enough, you won't be able to read!)

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:19 pm

(I think its cute you put chin instead of shin hehehe)

some info I found:

Shin splints describes a variety of generalized pain that occurs in the front of the lower leg along the tibia (shin bone). Shin Splints are considered a cumulative stress injury because they often occur after repeated stress or jarring of the bones, muscles and joints without proper conditioning or recovery between workouts. The pain of shin splints is typically located on the outer front portion of the lower leg (anterior shin splints) or pain on the back inside of the lower leg (posterior medial shin splints.
The pain of shin splints is caused by trauma to either the muscles or bones of the lower leg.

Muscle trauma (exertional compartment syndrome) is often related to overtraining or excessive running on hard surfaces. Repeated use makes the muscles swell and puts pressure on the fascia that covers the muscles in the lower leg leading to pressure and pain.

Bone trauma to the lower leg can result in stress fractures. Constant pounding the leg bones may cause microscopic cracks and fractures in the tibia and fibula (lower leg bones). Rest is needed to repair these cracks, but without adequate recover, these cracks continue to grow and become a fracture. The result is acute pain and a long recovery.

Beginning runners are at increased risk of shin splints and stress fractures because they are not used to the high impact running has on the muscles and joints of the lower leg and foot. Running on hard surfaces (especially with worn, poorly cushioned footwear) increases stress on the muscles, joints and bones and is another cause of shin splints. Excessive pronation or other biomechanical problems can increase the risk of developing shin splints.

Other causes of shin splints include:

Improper stretching
Lack of warm-up
Training too hard
Increasing mileage too quickly
Running or jumping on hard surfaces
Muscle imbalance between the posterior and anterior leg
Worn out shoes that do not have enough support
Running on a tilted or slanted surface
Other biomechanical issues

Pain located on the medial (inside) part of the lower leg
Pain is often worse with running or other weight bearing exercise
Pain increases after running on hard surfaces
An aching pain may linger after stopping activity
Pain increases with activity
Pain increases with running, jumping, hill climbing, or downhill running
Calf muscles may be tight and inflexible
Treating Shin Splints
Rest is the best treatment for shin splints. For immediate relief use the R.I.C.E. treatment method for controlling pain and inflammation. Returning to activity must be done gradually with non-weight bearing activity (cycling, swimming) to your workouts until pain-free.

Strengthening and stretching exercises are helpful. The ankle injury rehab program can also be used for shin splint rehab.

Tape your shins to reduce stress
Wear proper footwear
Replace shoes as needed.
Returning to activity must be done gradually or you risk re-injury. Change your routine and cut your exercise time and intensity so that you have no discomfort before, during or after exercise.

If your shin pain continues after three or more weeks, you should consider seeing you physician for a proper diagnosis.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:21 pm

In answer to your question, I think maybe you shouldn't push yourself too hard while you have an injury, give it time to heal.

Maybe you could do some swimming or something low impact for a while?
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Karnak » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Your heart rate can also help let you know if walking is doing much for you. Take your resting (take for 6 seconds and then just add a zero - its quicker and about as accurate as you need). Then whilst doing your brisk walk take it again. if its higher - its doing something. Online somewhere there will be a whole lot of stuff about optimum % rates etc.

As for shin splints perhaps try running on grass. A few people I workout with have this issue and they tend to run on grass. Most ovals have nice soft cushy couche grass(sp?) that will really cushion the impact and also make it twice as hard to run as there is very little rebound.

Re: Is walking really enough?

Postby Helena08 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:33 pm

Yes walking is definitely enough!!!!!

Try to do 30mins - 1 hour a day, eat well and youll be fine :)

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:28 pm

I think it really depends on your goals, babe. For people like you and I who are used to more intensive exercise eg running, cycling, high impact aerobics classes, it's not enough. I just don't get a workout from walking - I wish I did!!! If I go for a walk then it's an added bonus to my exercise, but I generally don't use it as exercise.
That being said, you need to look after your shins so they don't get worse, so maybe just watch your food intake a little more? Once you get your heart rate monitor you can work out exactly how many kilojoules you're burning :)

Em xoxo

Postby shelbel » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Hey Em just on what you said there about ppl being used to more intense workouts, do you think someone who didnt do intense workout and just stuck to walking their whole journey, do u reckon it would be enough??

*Shel looks for an easy way out of exercise*
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:13 pm

shelbel wrote:Hey Em just on what you said there about ppl being used to more intense workouts, do you think someone who didnt do intense workout and just stuck to walking their whole journey, do u reckon it would be enough??

*Shel looks for an easy way out of exercise*

Hey Shel
That's a tough question!!! For someone just wanting to maintain their fitness, walking would be enough. If you wanted to increase it, it probably wouldn't. But you can up the intensity with walking like trying walking up hills (outside) or increasing the incline if you're on a treadmill. As for weight loss, I found that after a few months of just walking, I really needed to increase the exercise intensity to start losing serious weight again. But everyone is different, some people can get away with just walking for the whole of their weight loss!
I just never feel 'satisfied' if I'm not dripping with sweat and breathing heavily after/during a workout!

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:11 pm

Calories burnt are calories burnt, no matter how you do it!

When I walk briskly, I burn around 400 calories an hour. To do an hour every day would be great for weight loss! Low impact cardio has its advantages, you are less likely to injure yourself and lose muscle because it is not high intensity.

The downside is that you dont experience any of that 'afterburn' or EPOC like with weight training or HIIT. Although, weight training is not as intense as a 5km run, but you keep burning calories for possibly hours after a workout.

It all depends on what you enjoy. If you went for an hour walk each day it would definatly contribute to weight loss, but it would be my preferred choice of exercise to maintain, as I like more high impact stuff.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Postby erinjb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Do you have somewhere where you can walk up hill?

I run mostly, but I find a good 20-30 minute slog up the side of a mountain gets my heart going just as much!

Return to Exercise Talk