It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Free Newsletter

toning up

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

toning up

Postby matchbox » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 pm

went for a swim in the pool today (no boardies) and took some (pretty dodgy looking) bikini shots. i was standing in front of the mirror (as you do) and even though i am 62kg i think i have a fair bit of body fat - i am a size 12. i would love to get to a size 10 and i'm thinking that weight training would probably help with this. at the moment i am only really doing cardio, although i do own a set of 3kg dumbells at home. i have a membership with the gym but hardly ever go :roll: pretty much cos im lazy and can't be bothered and always make up excuses. i think that i *do* have potential to get a flatter stomach and smaller thighs and just more toned in general - but i don't know how to go about it. i don't like doing weights at the gym much (although i know i should) pretty much cos of all the guys there - not many of the girls do weights. ther's always these big, muscly guys who just look at u like 'WTF is she doing!' well at least i think that's what they're doing. i get pretty intimidated.

i really want to tone up i'm just not sure how to go about it.

any suggestions?
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: toning up

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:24 pm

How about pilates? You can either join a class or get some DVDs to do at home. It's very good for toning, especially the tummy area.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Hey Lexi have you tried the billy blanks Boot camp ?? Its fantastic for toning and cadio.

Cheers
~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzOso3A/]
[/url]

***absolute_zero***

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 pm

In my personal experience, the best way to tone is to use weights.

I rarely use free weights, I use the machines at the gym. This is what I do and I am getting really good results. This is a whole body workout. If your dont like doing free weights try the machines, hardly any of the guys use them at my gym, they stay down in the free weight area. The machines are suited to any one of any strength. I never liked weight training but now I am addicted! I am sooo much stronger and I can now do 4 consecutive chin ups!

3 Sets of 6 Assisted Chin Ups
3 Sets of 6 Assisted Dips
3 Sets of 6 Assisted Pull Ups

3 Sets of 10 Hip Adduction
3 Sets of 10 Hip Abduction (targets inner thighs)

3 Sets of 10 Lat Pull Downs
3 Sets of 10 Cable Rows

3 Sets of 10 Chest Press

3 Sets of 10 Leg Press
3 Sets of 10 Leg Extension

5 Sets of 10 Crunches (on a sit up bench)'

3 Sets of 10 Bicep Curls with a Barbell

i always use a weight that pushes me, and try to increase it every fortnight or so. If you have machines at your gym, you should just test them out and get used to them, even make a circuit of your own?

Weight training is a great way to tone muscles, dont worry your not going to add bulk. 1. your a woman and its soooo hard to do without steroids. 2. Your in a calorie defecit.
Sometimes I like to mix it up and add in more crunches or push ups.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Fireball » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:23 am

4 chin ups? That is very cool. 8) My shoulders would dislocate if I tried that. :lol:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:13 am

I don't think you have to do lots of weights to tone up. I'm really starting to tone up and do hardly any weights. I just do lots of different exercise - fitness circuit, billy blanks, home cardio, horse riding, swimming, walking, running etc. Martial arts classes of some sort would be great, and I agree about billy blanks workouts, cardio and toning all the way with him, but he doesn't call it boot camp for nothin :lol:
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Jane85 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I've just started doing body pump classes at the gym, to help with toning and have found them really good. The instructors go through different muscle groups and show you how to use the bar/weights properly...you could adapt some of that for at home i would say.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEuhBwI/]
[/url]
Jane85

Postby Kimmie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:29 am

And pump is usually 90% girls, too (at the gyms I've been to, anyway). It's good for muscular endurance.
Kimmie

Postby LillyPilly » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:40 am

Fiona25 wrote:I don't think you have to do lots of weights to tone up. I'm really starting to tone up and do hardly any weights. I just do lots of different exercise - fitness circuit, billy blanks, home cardio, horse riding, swimming, walking, running etc. Martial arts classes of some sort would be great, and I agree about billy blanks workouts, cardio and toning all the way with him, but he doesn't call it boot camp for nothin :lol:

Fiona25 when you say fitness circuit, what do you mean by this?
LillyPilly

Return to Exercise Talk