It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 am

Free Newsletter

Too much motivation...??

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Too much motivation...??

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Guys, I have a little problem with exercise...and you might think I'm a bit silly :oops:

I know my motivation levels go up and down a lot, but so far this year, I've been to the gym after work every night and at least once, sometimes twice on the weekend.

Rather than making excuses to not exercise, i seem to be making excuses not to be doing other things (like seeing my friends, doing extra work - and I need the money, etc!) so that I CAN go to the gym. Do I make sense? :shock:

For example, I work one Saturday a month to help my sister out at her shop but I don't want to go tomorrow because when I work there, I start at 6am and by the time I get home, I'd have missed all the classes at the gym.

I know I could do other exercise to make up for it, but I love the classes at the gym.... :roll:

WTF....?!?!?!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: Too much motivation...??

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:37 pm

I know where you're coming from. I was gutted when people recommended I should miss my work-out this morning to let my quadriceps heal properly! And the times I've had to stop running because of my PF have been a nightmare. However it's important to know there is such thing as exercise addiction. When it starts to affect the rest of your life that's when you know you have a problem. And it sounds like it's beginning to affect the rest of your life.

I think you need to address this issue. Exercise is meant to be a stress-reliever, not a stress-causer! You don't want to fret about missed classes to the point where you're missing the other good things in life. You don't want to become a two-dimensional gym-bunny at the expense of everything else after all!

If it helps remind yourself that rest plays an important part of a fitness routine as well. You don't need to (and really shouldn't) exercise every day of the week. Your muscles need time to repair and rebuild, especially if you're exercising the same muscle groups every day.

The cure? Take tomorrow off. Force yourself to take a day off each week. Give yourself permission to live life a little. If you find yourself fretting about the gym treat it like any other craving, distract yourself, remind yourself that the gym will always be there and one day is not going to ruin your fitness program, and remind yourself that a day off doesn't matter because you're going back tomorrow anyway. If it makes you feel better I'm forcing myself to rest today. No big long walks, no running, no gym. Pure rest because it's what my muscles, and my mind, desperately need.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:22 am

You sound like me Ali!

Running high on motivation is GREAT but as EWQ said, don't let it run your whole life. You can always formulate a circuit at home and do it in the morning or at night. I know its not as motivating as working out with other people though! Here is part of my routine if you're interested.

100 skips (skipping rope)

Bend legs in a squat positon and turn your waist (not hips) with arms bent out infront for 30 secs (like billy blanks does if you've ever seen his bootcamp vids)

30 squats

1 min star jumps

1 min jogging on spot while punching jab cross

15 mens pushups

10 kicks to the side (10 each leg, each side)

100 stomach pulses. Once again, a BB thing, you lay on your back and go up to the height level of a crunch and go up and back but its only a pulse not a full crunch.

Put your feet under a lounge and do 20 full sit ups and 10 to each side

More jogging/twists etc then repeat all of that 2-3 times.

All up the above is approx 10 minutes, so to repeat that 2 or 3 times you've just done 20-30 mins and believe me, you will work up a bit sweat - well at least I do!!!

I put music max on or my fave CD and set a timer on my watch and just go for it. Add any other exercises in that you want or equipment that you have. I have a leg magic so I throw in 100-150 reps of that for every 10mins of home circuit that I do.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby electrongirl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:23 am

you can give some of it to me!!!!!!!!!!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ali76 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks guys!

You'd be very proud of me....I hadn't eaten very much on Friday so didn't have a lot of energy (wasn't feeling well) and I worked really hard at the gym on Thursday night and was still a little sore so I went straight home from work and had a rest night (seems weird saying you'd be proud of me for resting...?! :shock: ).

I was all dressed and ready for the gym on Saturday morning when something came up and I didn't have time to get there....so, I stopped with the excuses and got on the cross trainer and did 7.5kms...yah!

Fiona - I love your personal circuit!! I think I might try and get that going while I watch the Biggest Loser!

From now on, I'll go to the gym when I can and enjoy it while I'm there, but I'm not going to feel guilty if my body - or life tells me to rest! Exercise is not the enemy!! :twisted: :lol:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Good on you, Ali! Exercise is important but so is rest. I guess it all comes down to a healthy balance so you don't feel guilty about either of them!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Exercise Talk