It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Exercising while sick?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercising while sick?

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:06 am

Hey guys, just after some advice here :)

Yesterday I started coming down with something, sore throat, felt a bit yuck. I did my 90mins exercise in the morning and as the day progressed I felt worse.

Well this morning I have a full on cold/flu - blocked up, sore throat, headache, aching all over etc.

Question is, would it be silly for me to take a few pain killers and hit the gym? Its pouring rain today so I can't even go for a walk! My main concerns is making everyone else sick or doing more bad than good to my body while I should maybe be resting.

I just really want to try out my new gym :oops:

I think I know the answer - rest - BUT just wanted to confirm and see if there is any possiblity that I could maybe get out there and do something?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Re: Exercising while sick?

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:37 am

I've had a bit of a look around on the internet and it says if you have a cold, but no fever then its ok, but it sounds like you may have the flu, if your achy all over so you might have a fever. Also they say if you have a cough its best not to either.

Something I found:

So how do you determine if you're too sick to exercise? Here's a good rule of thumb: If your symptoms are "above the neck" — such as runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, or sore throat — you can proceed with your workout.

However, if your symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion or tightness, hacking cough, or upset stomach — you should postpone your workout. Also, you shouldn't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches. Rarely, exercising with a fever has been associated with inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis).

As always, use common sense. If you're not feeling well but still want to exercise, reduce the intensity of your workout and listen to your body. If your symptoms worsen with exercise, stop and rest. Missing a few days of exercise isn't the end of the world.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby bferbear » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:41 am

It isn't like you are taking the first sign of tiredness as being a chance to give up and stop, you are genuinely ill. This is your bodies way of telling you to stop for a day or so and give it time to recover. You have set yourself a fairly hectic exercise schedule on top of your normal day to day life, and every now and then you need to take a break for a few days. You find you come back stronger than ever with fantastic results. My advice is no gym until at least Thursday regardless of how you feel tomorrow. Give yourself a chance to get over this little bug, and let your immune system recover, the gym will still be there in a few days.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks guys. I've decided to give it a miss today and will maybe do some pilates or something low impact at home. As well as drinking HEAPS of water and having lots of little nana naps through the day!

Fiona25

Postby nag » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:38 am

I would have a rest and when you feel a bit better maybe go to the gym and walk on the treamill to get your body ready for exersise again.
nag

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 am

nag wrote:I would have a rest and when you feel a bit better maybe go to the gym and walk on the treamill to get your body ready for exersise again.

Good thinking Nag. I think if i'm better tomorrow I will walk on the treadmill and maybe do ex bike and x trainer slowly. I'll stick to cardio, i'm too achy for weights I think.

Fiona25

Postby Mandie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:50 am

some good advice up there from Nikki - the general rule is, if you can't breathe well, don't do vigorous exercise! If you just have a cold, you can do a gentler workout than usual - just don't get too puffed because if your nose is blocked, you'll find it harder to breathe!

and if you have symptoms in your chest, or a fever, or you're achy - take the day off! you're not doing yourself any favours by running your body into the ground. wait until you're better and THEN go back to the gym. the gym is something you do when your body is in good condition, so you can handle the extra strain - you don't want to go putting strain on your body when it's busy trying to fight an infection!
Mandie

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:27 pm

Hey Fiona I hope your feeling better soon :)

Take Care
~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzOso3A/]
[/url]

***absolute_zero***

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks Tam!

Feeling much better today, the rest day did wonders for me I think. Body aches and headaches gone, just blocked up and stuffy so I can do some light exercise today - YAY!

Fiona25

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:10 pm

That's great, Fiona. I'm glad you're feeling better!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ***absolute_zero*** » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Glad your feeling better Fiona, yahooooo about the exercise :)
~~~Hugs Tam~~~

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzOso3A/]
[/url]

***absolute_zero***

Return to Exercise Talk