It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:05 am

Free Newsletter

HOW MUCH EXERCISE IS ENOUGH??

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

HOW MUCH EXERCISE IS ENOUGH??

Postby anthony88 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 pm

hi guys,, just started my weight loss journey at 138Kg (yuck)... how much exercise should i be aiming to do a day?? ive started with halfa on the treadmill??
thanks
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Re: HOW MUCH EXERCISE IS ENOUGH??

Postby bferbear » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Key thing for you to remember to start with is work within your own personal limits. I found that 10 mins on the bike, 10mins on the treadmill and 5 mins on the rower were all I was capable of doing at first. After 3 months my morning cardio session is now 20 mins bike, 10 mins rower and 30 mins treadmill. I gradually increased my time on each station each week to what I felt capable of doing.

Are you going to a gym or using a treadmill at home? If at a gym the staff there should design a program for you to follow that will help you lose weight, providing of course that you stick to it without taking shortcuts like I used to.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby anthony88 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 am

i have just purchased a treadmil at home.. but within the next month or two im also going to join the gym.. my plan is to go to the gym 4 days a week and when i cant get to the gym spend extra time on the treadmil at home.. thanks heaps for your help.. :D :D
[/url]

anthony88

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:20 pm

To start with, 30mins a day should be plenty. BUT you should be able to feel it, work up a sweat, get your heart rate up etc.

Just make gradual changes so that you don't get injured. Eg, 30min walk each day one week, the next week make it 35 and maybe 3 days add in some squats/star jumps etc for 5 mins each time.

Your body will let you know if you are or aren't doing enough :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby anthony88 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:22 am

thanks fiona your really helping me with this all..
[/url]

anthony88

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 am

You're more than welcome Anthony, thats what this forum is all about :D I'm loving how keen you are too, I reckon you will do great!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Bel Diamante » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm doing roughly 45mins a day at the gym, doing an intensive cardio workout. But my trainer showed me an article today saying that to have weightloss we should be doing 90mins per day. 30mins per day is ok for those of normal weight to maintain where they are at.

I figure, I didn't exercise much before, and I'm definately doing s*** loads more than what I did before, Its better than nothing.
xx Nic xx
Current Measurements
Start Bust: 133cm Now: 130cm
Start Waist: 127cm Now: 125cm
Start Hips: 148cm Now: 144cm
Bel Diamante

Postby leeni.s2 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 pm

another question about the amount of exercise you should be doing..

some days (like today) i really dont have time to do any exercise.. i had to get up at 5.30 to get ready for work, i went to work, got home at 1.30, had to do some errands, i managed to fit in like 10 minutes of skipping and 50 sit ups, then i had to have a shower, now im online to quickly check my uni emails, print off some lecture notes and i am off now to uni now. i wont be home til about 10.30-11 tonight and i am pretty buggered after uni so ill prob go to sleep because i have to get up early again for work tomorrow morning.

my question is:
is that exercise even worth it?
i read somewhere on this forum, that 10 minutes of exercise wasnt good for you.. i cant remember why..
im on the km program which says that you can still lose weight without exercise, but i figured if i can fit 10 minutes in every now and then during the day, then its worth it.
is it?

start date; 15 feb 08
first mini goal: 88kg ; much needed haircut. - accomplished
second mini goal: 80kg ; not sure yet
leeni.s2

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 pm

leeni.s2 wrote:another question about the amount of exercise you should be doing..

some days (like today) i really dont have time to do any exercise.. i had to get up at 5.30 to get ready for work, i went to work, got home at 1.30, had to do some errands, i managed to fit in like 10 minutes of skipping and 50 sit ups, then i had to have a shower, now im online to quickly check my uni emails, print off some lecture notes and i am off now to uni now. i wont be home til about 10.30-11 tonight and i am pretty buggered after uni so ill prob go to sleep because i have to get up early again for work tomorrow morning.

my question is:
is that exercise even worth it?
i read somewhere on this forum, that 10 minutes of exercise wasnt good for you.. i cant remember why..
im on the km program which says that you can still lose weight without exercise, but i figured if i can fit 10 minutes in every now and then during the day, then its worth it.
is it?

10 minutes exercise is worth it.

Remember weight loss is about less energy in vs energy out. You achieve this by reducing calories and increasing exercise.

Any exercise is better than none. Even doing 3x10minute session a day is great.

So yes it does count and is worth it.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Return to Exercise Talk