It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Free Newsletter

X trainer questions

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

X trainer questions

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:25 pm

I recently bought a new but budget brand X trainer off ebay. I love having it at home and popping on doing a few mins here and there, it all counts right :P

Anyway, it seems to be MUCH harder than the ones at the gym! It has a resistance setting and even on the lowest setting it is bloody hard! The ones at the gym I can go on for 20 mins without working up much of a sweat and usually move on due to boredom, but the one I have after a few mins my legs are burning, my heart rate is up and i'm sweating! The most I can do in 1 hit is 10mins and thats me about to die! I usually do a few sets of 5 mins and sometimes even several sets of 2 minutes.

The other thing is the little computer on it has to be wrong because it tells me i've burnt 500 calories in 10 minutes - yeah right :roll: !!! It tells me i've gone about 2km in 10mins, does that sound right?

I find them all to be so different. The x trainer at my gym tells me that after 20mins i've burnt about 100 calories, gone a distance of about 1.2kms and then another (very fancy) at the gym at the appartment we stayed at on holidays told me that after 20mins i'd burnt just over 100 calories but went a distance of about 7kms. Which one would be right? So confusing!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Re: X trainer questions

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:53 pm

ANYONE?!? C'mon SarahC, I know you're the gym expert girl ;) :D
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm not much of a help but I know when I walk at a fairly brisk pace, I go 3.5km in around 25 minutes so 7 kms in 20 minutes on a x trainer sounds about right? On calorie king that equates to about 200 cals for you?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby bron34 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:48 pm

Fiona25 wrote:I recently bought a new but budget brand X trainer off ebay. I love having it at home and popping on doing a few mins here and there, it all counts right :P

Anyway, it seems to be MUCH harder than the ones at the gym! It has a resistance setting and even on the lowest setting it is bloody hard! The ones at the gym I can go on for 20 mins without working up much of a sweat and usually move on due to boredom, but the one I have after a few mins my legs are burning, my heart rate is up and i'm sweating! The most I can do in 1 hit is 10mins and thats me about to die! I usually do a few sets of 5 mins and sometimes even several sets of 2 minutes.

OMG mine is exactly the same! I thought i must be super unfit or something but i experience the same thing as you, can only do 10 minutes and my legs are completely like jelly afterwards. Oh well as long as we're giving it a go hey! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wf54RaC/]
[/url]
bron34

Postby loveat116 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:02 pm

I wouldnt bother with distance on a Xtrainer... its not very accurate.

BUT you should be burning around 200 cal on 80% heart rate (for someone our size) for 20 minutes.

Maybe just forget what the calorie thingo says, and just aim to go 20 minutes at a really hard pace!!!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Return to Exercise Talk