It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Free Newsletter

How much work at the gym?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

How much work at the gym?

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:21 am

Just out of curiosity, do you go to the gym for a certain amount of time or calories when you do cardio work outs? I'm trying to work how long i should be going for.
Tarz

Re: How much work at the gym?

Postby loveat116 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:32 am

I usually go for about 40 minutes, and burn about 300-400 calories. If im doing cardio.

If I am doing weights i do 3 of all the machiens, about 30 minutes.

I used to go for 60 minutes + and burn off like 700 cal +. But its pointless to do that much cardio.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby big_love » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:53 am

loveat116 wrote:I usually go for about 40 minutes, and burn about 300-400 calories. If im doing cardio.

I used to go for 60 minutes + and burn off like 700 cal +. But its pointless to do that much cardio.

How come its pointless?
140/117/85
big_love

Postby loveat116 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:21 pm

big_love wrote:
loveat116 wrote:I usually go for about 40 minutes, and burn about 300-400 calories. If im doing cardio.

How come its pointless?

Because I have come to realise that diet is around 80% of weightloss, exercise is 20%. I only started really losing weight when I completly dropped the cardio, started doing weights and really changing my diet.

Doing 60 minutes of intense cardio everyday is a bit silly, considering that is wastes away muscle... i was better off just walking/running a few days a week and doing weight training every other day.

loveat116

Postby big_love » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm

thats cool I just didn't really know why....I do cardio stuff, but I do fit ball and when Im walking I use weights and resistance bands..do think thats ok?
140/117/85
big_love

Postby loveat116 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm

big_love wrote:thats cool I just didn't really know why....I do cardio stuff, but I do fit ball and when Im walking I use weights and resistance bands..do think thats ok?

Its different for everyone! I just find cardio borrrrriinnnggg... so i'd prefer to not eat that cadbury creme egg and not work my ass off for 20 minutes!

I've also been told my a few people (my doctor, read some case studies) that cardio workouts don't benefit weight loss as much as people think. But you should do it still! For fitness and health

loveat116

Postby talia11 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am

Well from my experience (and advice from my hubby, which I take as gospel as he was a Physical Training Instructor in the Army for 10 years) Exercise is WAY more important than 20%.....and cardio is a huge part of FAT loss.....you should be aining for anything over 25 - 30 min 3 times a week, getting heart rate up (the way to work this out is 220 minus your age - that should be your max heart rate unless you are very well conditioned - 60% of your max heart rate is good for fat burning).
Weights alone will not make you lose weight - it will in fact increase your muscle and make you weight more which is why it is essential to do cardio as well.
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby loveat116 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 am

talia11 wrote:Well from my experience (and advice from my hubby, which I take as gospel as he was a Physical Training Instructor in the Army for 10 years) Exercise is WAY more important than 20%.....and cardio is a huge part of FAT loss.....you should be aining for anything over 25 - 30 min 3 times a week, getting heart rate up (the way to work this out is 220 minus your age - that should be your max heart rate unless you are very well conditioned - 60% of your max heart rate is good for fat burning).
Weights alone will not make you lose weight - it will in fact increase your muscle and make you weight more which is why it is essential to do cardio as well.

Exercise is important, i don't disagree with you there. But you HAVE to have the right diet to lose fat, you need to be eating the right amount and the right kind of foods to lose fat, or your cardio will be pointless!

When I was getting down to my goal weight I found that once I started doing resistance training (low weights, high reps) i broke my plateau and got down to my goal weight. The only exericise I was doing was one session of HIIT. BUT i am a very active person anyway, so i dont really have scheduled exercise.

You probably WONT gain weight when doing resistance training, because you will need to be in a calorie surplus (eating more than you put out) to gain muscle. I think at first it is possible to gain muscle if your body is not used to it though. Why is adding muscle bad anyway? Muscle is what really controls your metabolism, if you have more muscle you will burn calories faster!! So you will keep losing weight.

AND when you do HIIT or Weight Training you keep burning calories after your workout has finished, this is called EPOC. So... with all this info thats why i think weight training is more important than cardio. But hey! Whatever works for you. I just think if you are doing heaps of cardio, you should keep your protein up to repair all the muscle lost in the process.

loveat116

Return to Exercise Talk