It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 am

Free Newsletter

Can someone please advise

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Can someone please advise

Postby help6363 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:00 am

Hello :D

I just want to mix and match my exercise....RPM is getting a bit boring. Hence, I want to do RPM and jog on the treadmill but I was just wondering what do I do? I mean, do I start off jogging 1 minute and then walking one minute? Does that make sense?

I hired two personal trainers to show me how to build up to jog 30 minutes on the treadmill. However, they both refused. The first one claimed that jogging causes injuries and my hips are too big to jog.

The second one said I should teach myself. She only wanted to yoga type stuff with me.

Is there something wrong with jogging? I mean, I think it's kinda wierd they said no to my fittest goals! So am I missing something, is jogging bad?

Thanks!

Have a great day

Cheers

Michelle
help6363

Re: Can someone please advise

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:52 pm

WHAT!!!

Michelle, I am absolutely shocked at the reactions of the trainers :shock:. I can't believe they refused to show you or give you a running plan, considering that was the reason you hired them in the first place. IMO I don't think you need a PT to get you started jogging on the tready. The treadmills at the fitness first I go to has an interval program or you can program it yourself, is this similar to the one at your gym, which you could use? To start with I would definitely suggest intervals of walking and running. Start out slowly and gradually increase your running. For instance you could do 1 minute jogging at a speed you are comfortable with (8 is a nice slow speed) and then 2 minutes of fast walking and keep alternating for 20-30 minutes. Do this 3 times a week and then gradually increase your running time. As you will be running on a treadmill, the chances of injury are lessor than outdoor running as the tready helps propel your body forward and has spring in the rotator belt thing, which lessons impact. One thing you have to be weary of is developing shin splints. Girl you can so do this!

To stop the gym becoming boring do a variety of different classes ( you probably already do this) and just mix and match from your ordinary routine.

Have you got a couple of flights of stairs you can run up and down? My trainer makes me do this - what a work out.

AND NO- there is nothing wrong with Jogging! :twisted: to the trainers to even imply that. Every form of exercise has a risk of injury not just running :twisted: silly trainers.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby la1982 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi

I use the podcasts/MP3 of the Couch to 5km program and highly recommend it! - in 9 weeks it will allow you to work up to jogging for 30 mins non stop with just 3 sessions per week.

Here is the program - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Scroll down the page and it lists what you are required to do for each session

The MP3/Podcasts are found here if you wanted to use these to follow along with
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html

Sorry I am a bit rushed for time but have a look and see if this looks like what you are after maybe it might help!
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby help6363 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm

A HUGE THANK YOU for the replies! :D

Thanks for the advice.....it has been really helpful :D
help6363

Return to Exercise Talk