It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:57 am

Free Newsletter

How do you think about exercise?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you think about exercise?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:05 pm

I was thinking about this on my ride home and how the way i think about exercise has changed.

I used to hate exercise and never wanted to be seen puffing or sweating and hated the feel of being sweaty. I've managed to get around that by just getting used to the fact that EVERYONE puffs and looks terrible when they exercise and I make sure I can have a shower after I exercise to get un-ickified.

Also, I've discovered exercise has some good points (apart from the obligatory better health and quicker weight loss). You get time to yourself to think and to reflect about things which I'm pretty sure has been part of why my general mood has changed from being faily down and pessimistic to being much happier and more fun to be with.

1) what do you not like about exercise and how have you gotten around it?

2) what do you like about exercise?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Groovychic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 am

I've always been one to exercise at least a bit. I've always been a walker, mainly because I have a fear of having a heart attack if my heart isn't fit. Why I would have that fear when none of my relatives have died from a heart attack I don't know. Possibly we had that drummed into us when we were school kids or something!!! But I would take a walk for 25 mins 3 or 4 times a week and it obviously wasn't enough to keep me at a desired weight. I have since learnt to exercise better in the time I allocate. An hour is normally about the limit for me. I love the treadmill. I tried one out at bunker bay resort when we stayed there and realised that I could walk so much faster and get the sweat dripping from me and be totally exhausted at the end of the session, whereas when I was just going for the obligatory walk around the firebreak etc, I would puff slightly but rarely sweat. Even with the power walking and weights on my wrists! So I have never thought negatively about exercise. Have jumped in to do aerobics class whenever I could etc. I've always got that rush after a good exercise session. And I suppose my mum has always been a walker so I learnt from her as a kid. I'm hoping my children will follow suit when they are adults. I don't have to worry about my daughter as she is always outside on her bike or roaming around, but my son loves to sit and watch telly or play the playstation. And he tends to get a bit dumpy at times as well. The both play sport and we have the pool for summer but he needs to make a little extra effort at times I think. Might get him on the treadmill for 30 mins a day!!!! But you know what astounds me the most with the kids. The fact that they don't do morning exercises at school. When I was at school we used to do it for 20 mins each morning. Either play a game with running around or do a run around the oval or whatever. If it was wet we wouldn't do it but if the weather was good, which it mainly was, we would be out there doing it. I bought this up with the school a number of times but most teachers don't want to do it. Which I think is silly. We have the government doing all the be active campaigns yet the school's aren't really following through. Anyway that is my whinge for the month!!! And way off track about the question but anyway.

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby KimE » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 pm

I have been walking regularly for the last 3 weeks and this week started some strength training at home. So really this is a new thing for me.

Yesterday when I got back to work after my walk I was so full of energy I was bouncing off the walls and scaring everybody!! LOL I felt absolutely fantastic. So at the moment that in itself is a great motivator to keep going. I use that time to think things through and I also often wear a headset and listen to my favourite tunes so sometimes I kinda bop as I walk.

I feel as if I am doing something really good for myself that will help me to look good but feel great too. I feel like a big switch has been flipped in my head and I am finding myself actually enjoying the exercise I am doing. I have gone through small phases of exercise in my life but this feels different and whats more it is starting to become 'normal' for me. Who would have thought I would ever get to this frame of mind.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Return to Exercise Talk