It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:13 am

Free Newsletter

Yoga & Pilates.

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Yoga & Pilates.

Postby LillyPilly » Thu May 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Does anyone do yoga and Pilates?

I would like your opinion?

Good results, a good form of exercise etc?

Re: Yoga & Pilates.

Postby LillyPilly » Thu May 01, 2008 6:51 pm

I just finished a Pilates workout.

My opinion:
It got me breathing heavier
I was sweating
Uses stomach muscles
Need flexibility

Postby ali76 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi LillyPilly!

I've not done much pilates but I've done a fair bit of yoga. I think it's the same with most things, you only get out what you put in.

I love yoga as even though it's stretching, sometimes uncomfrtable and can make you very sweaty, it's also quite relaxing! It gets you really in touch with your body...

Did you enjoy the Pilates?

SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby ~Rose~ » Sat May 03, 2008 10:36 am

I do Pilates and absolutely love it, not only does it get me sweating, it works wonders for my lower back pain, flattens my tummy and helps stop mentrual pain at ttom, just to mention a few benefits for me lolz :D
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

Postby soniabaggs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Yep, pilates rocks. Especially if you don't want big muscles but want to have a flatter stomach and muscles like a dancer.

I train at a studio in Windsor, Melbourne with Jono - hot!!!

Check out their website

Postby Karnak » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:58 am

I do both.

Yoga I find great for stretching, balance, flexibility and posture. I also find it relaxing and a great option after a tough cardio session or long run.

Pilates - not quite the tranqility of Yoga but still good for all of the above. its closer to a defined "workout" and you sweat more. A great focus on abs and "core" and you notice it a lot more the next day.

Postby Zoe! » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 pm

I do Bikram Yoga (heated yoga).

The first time I did it, I walked into the room and thought, there is no way I am going to get through this. But after I did it I felt so relaxed, like a melting relaxed feeling. It was amazing.

Then I did the 30 day bikram challenge and noticed a lot of definition in my body from that and I noticed I am a lot more relaxed and I can think clearer, just everything feels better. Plus it has helped heaps with my dance classes.

I am a real winter person, I hate the heat and struggle through Summer and Bikram oddly enough still made me feel amazing even though it is done in a 37 degree room.

The only time the heat and everything bothers me is when I am in a packed class and someone tries to squeeze next to me, especially men. And they sweat on my mat and make all these aggressive noises when you shouldnt be pushing yourself hard enough to be breathing heavily. You are supposed to push yourself as hard as you can with a calm breath. I go in the morning so there is a smaller class. I have a real personal space issue... and some people are just so inconsiderate...
What you do today can improve all your tomorrows

Postby Tarz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 am

I had no idea what Bikram yoga was before and have seen signs for it all over the place.

I still want to try them properly both yoga & pilates, i have bought a mat but can never get to the classes.

Return to Exercise Talk