It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Earphones Vs Headphones

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Earphones Vs Headphones

Postby Dave » Thu May 22, 2008 9:35 am

Headphones Vs Earphones...for Exercise & Running!!!

EARPHONES SUCK!!!
good run this morning...swapped the Earphones for a light set of Headphones & wow what an overall improvement! I use to run for years without using tapes/radio & now mp3 players, but since picking up the habit a few years ago, I can't do without it when I run. Well I do make a point to run a few times without them just to keep the nuro path ways happy.

As an avid mp3 user while running, I know to well the pitfalls of "Earphones" & after a quick search it seems I am not alone.

Earphones shorting out!!!!! arrrggghhhhhhhhhhh :evil:
If you sweat anything like me you will of course be familiar with one of the the ear pieces cutting out and you find yourself constantly adjusting it to get it working again. Well it's a simply case of "shorting out" & it's a real pain in the ass when I go running...even with some of the more expensive so called sweat resistant ones...

Earphones Getting tangled
Ouch......How it hurts when your arm brushes the speaker cord and reefs the ear buds out of the ears... :( ouch ouch & ouch...anoying as well when it completely comes out of the jack and you have to brake pace to make adjustments :evil:

Ears Swelling.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
This one really sucks big time if your just starting out and even for the more experienced after prolonged use and high intensity runs!!!! The ears simply swell & discomfort abounds...It's just another sign that were not suppose to shove things down our ears!!!

Too Much Blocked Sound!!!!!
Usually associated with the bud type (newer techy versions)...We are running and want to allow traffic noise to flow in. some ear buds now seem to be getting more and more like industrial noise blockers that can be shoves all the way into the ear canal...LOL anything to look groovy!!!!!!hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa...seriously, it's a problem if your running with this type of earphone...your life I guess...anyway such buds agrivate many of the other problems I have already mentioned.

Falling Out...!
If there not wedged in.....they fall out...everyone knows that one!

Air flow!
Your ears need to breath and all though bud designers and other fancy models coming out now are seemingly trying to sell on this....let me put it this way...Once again....anything you have to shove inside your ear in not going to help...It's like some sales rep shoving a full size home stereo down your throat and stepping back to scratch his head and wonder how they can make you breath. Without notice he drives a stake through the system a few times and you stagger back suddenly wheezing as air comes rushing out the tiny holes he just made. Suddenly the shop breaks out is applause as you've just undergone the new promotional campaign to sell the next buddy ear flow technology with better BASS response. The money each customer has, the more of them they buy :lol:

In case you haven't noticed I'm a pretty cynical guy and I no longer like earphones...As soon as I made the jump to headphones I haven't looked back. I'll tell you how I think they beat earphone hands down, but the other annoying thing that gets my goat is how people would rather shove something uncomfortable in there ear just because having a set of light weight headphones looks tooooo 80s............It's ironic as it's Usually these people who wear the latest and tightest sports clothes when they drop their kids off, do their shopping or even attend a seniors day out in all the latest tyco night glo. It's not just the young that are stupidly following the retailers...

OK Headphones!..........For those who are practically minded and not toooo self concious, headphones can be a God send for the runner. I am using a....wait for it...Wait for it......$10:00 set Philips SBC HLI 40 available from BIGW and they work well enough!!!!!! That's right only $10:00, so for those out there now telling themselves, Oh but I paid $299:00 for my earphones...well I paid $10:00 for my headphones SO!!!!...........
Getting the right fit!!!!
Basically they are an Ultra light weight set with a strip of wire for a headband...With headphones light weight is the key...Although the faom pads dont quite cover all of my ear (almost do) they fit snug and are COMFY!!!! To enhance the fit and sound I simply pull my light weight/breathable running cap down "Over the top" of the headphones thus securing the phones snuggly into position. Not only does this improve sound and fit, but it's also quite warm in the winter mornings..........
SWEAT!
OK now we got a good fit but what about sweat...no problem...I only just finished a 10k run a few hours ago and the phones are dry already. One would think that if the foam warms you ears up that it would make the sweating problem worse...but NO...the foam allows air warm air to escape and let your ear breath...these phone even have that BS air flow tech...lol...but I think its the foam pads themselves that primarily contribute to better air flow over ear buds...+...the pads will absorb the excess sweat instead of it running back into your ears and shorting out your buds. More over you can easily ajust the headphone in comparison to the ear bus to control the amount of breath-ability.
SOUND
LOL...$10:00 what can I say...Obviously you get what you pay for...but compared to cheap earphones they are indeed worth every CENT!...after you have tried the concept of ultralight headphone and a lightweight cap...you'll never go back to earphones again...for better sound just do a search and you,ll come up with a few...just avoid the earphone types though...

Summary:
So with no problems with ear buds falling out, or having the inner ear swell due to overheating and suffercation, no short circuits & pure bliss with comfort and most importantly I could hear decearn cars coming from the sides as well as from behind without compromise to sound quality!

*The big Tip is to get a light weight breathable running cap and pull it down over the head band to get that extra snug fit with the ear pads...you could use a headband, but then you get all self conscious again so just let the sweat run into your eyes instead...hahahha...narrr the cap works well for me...you can adjust the tightness with the strap at the back...I just hang both the cap and phones up when finished...

For $10:00 bucks you cant loose and you dont have to buy online...just go to BIGW...I even got my NIKE racing cap from an OPP shop for $1:00...go figure. My mp3 player is nothing than a humble 128mb one...so I still have room for improvements :)

I hope this has given someone a clue and made there running more enjoyable...I may even polish this up and post it where it needs to be...
Later guys...Have a good one :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Re: Earphones Vs Headphones

Postby SarahC » Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for that Dave. I've also been getting pretty peeved at my earphones. I've been listening to recorded training calls, and trying to hear the muffled voices over the blaring music at the gym...... :evil: I have also fallen asleep on many occasions with them in my ear after lying in bed listening to hypnosis tracks :oops: Woke up with pretty sore ears!

Definitely investigating headphones in the near future.
SarahC

Postby Dave » Thu May 22, 2008 5:12 pm

LOL, had to have a little giggle at falling asleep part, as I could imagine...I am suseptable to such things myself. I guess I came down hard on the old ear plugs, but I aint going back. I can see image is a big thing in the gym and one does not want to walk around with a set of dj head phones on, but with running an ultralight set really in more benificial...as for Meditating, I have always used headphones for the very reason you mentioned, and switching between a high end bulky but comfy set, to a lighter set, with slimmer ear pads, so as to roll on my side or when I fall of the pearch, listening to such files; does the trick for me.

My hat is a pretty slick looking hat & headphone sleek as well with techy looking ear pads...so I'd probably not look so nerdy in a gym...Theres a few tricks as to how you run the speaker cord so as not to get it cought up wen exercising...running it behind your neck I find best for working out in a gym, but each to there own...I run with it down my shirt and out my hip pocket...Headphones also seem to have there cords run straighter...but I'm probably just bias now:)........

I have downloaded so demo running coach mps and will most likely buy some of those files...I am using one from brain-sync and it's awsome!!!! I also listen to a lot of high & tottal focus tracts as well...
Hope it works out well for ya
Later :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby erinjb » Tue May 27, 2008 1:58 pm

:? I've never had any issues with my earphones.....
erinjb

Postby carinna » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:54 am

I still use the ones that came with my ipod. They're pretty sturdy and they do the job. But you bring up a good point. Next time I'll try buying headphones to give this a try. Although that might take a while coz my headphones are still in pretty good shape.
*Check out my BEFORE and AFTER pics*:
http://www.carinna.wordpress.com
**Comments are always welcome!**
carinna

Postby musclecar » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:01 pm

I use my earphones when i ride and walk and they sseem to do the job. I will agree they can get tangled and bloody frustrating. For instance I have a shoulder bag and when it slides around I push it back it takes the earphones with it :lol:

I ride on bike paths otherwise I wouldnt ride with them in if I was on the road.
musclecar

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:28 am

When I ride the bike I either listen to the radio on my cellphone, using the stock Nokia headset (1 earplug + mic), or I listen to my mp3 player using only one earplug. I mostly ride the bike for commuting purposes and I wouldn't want to get hit by a car that I could have heard coming around a corner or something. I want to stay aware of the near environment. And still, one earplug works fine for that purpose.

When I go running or go commuting by mass transit (train/bus/tube et cetera) I use a simple headphone with a neckband. It's lots less likely to drop from the ears with the movements you make than using earphones.

So I actually use both of them.
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I sooooooo want a radio for my bike! I refuse to wear either head or earphones, even one, on my bike. Just not worth the risk. I know you can get wind up radios - my dad gave us one for christmas. I wonder if somehow I could hook it up to the crank and have it strapped to the handlebars....... I'd really look dorky then, with my trackies tucked into my socks and my high vis vest, panniers and a thumping great radio on my handlebars LOL. But I love my local radio and it would be nice to listen to something on my rid to uni.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:I sooooooo want a radio for my bike! I refuse to wear either head or earphones, even one, on my bike. Just not worth the risk. I know you can get wind up radios - my dad gave us one for christmas. I wonder if somehow I could hook it up to the crank and have it strapped to the handlebars....... I'd really look dorky then, with my trackies tucked into my socks and my high vis vest, panniers and a thumping great radio on my handlebars LOL. But I love my local radio and it would be nice to listen to something on my rid to uni.

If you have a look around other forums about bike commuting, you would be stunned how many people actually have a radio of some sort mounted on their bikes. You wouldn't be the first... Definitely not!
Freddy

Return to Exercise Talk