It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:42 am

Free Newsletter

Please help this Gym Idiot!

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Please help this Gym Idiot!

Postby Booties » Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 pm

Ok so i joined a gym. I get 1 free PT session and a goal/program session, but they will not happen till next Thursday. Hubby and I are going to the gym every night cept Friday. So we are starting tomorrow night.

Should I do cardio first? second? or both first and last?

Also how many reps are usually good on those weight machines, which i havent used before, and do i start on 1kg? or do i start a little higher.

How long should I go on the treadmill, should i do fast speed or slow? (i have a treadmill at home but i do random stuff and dont want to look stupid at the gym)

Should I do cardio and weights every night? or alternate?

I am 80kgs and 175cm tall. I use to do lots of sport and athletics.

Please guide me :p

Ta Rach

** I will be 70 kgs by Christmas 2009 **

RACHEL CAN DOOOO IT!!!
Booties

Re: Please help this Gym Idiot!

Postby milkyway » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Hey Rach - good on you for getting that gym membership. You got a great deal. I'd love to have a 24hr gym :) No excuses!

Only reporting here what I've learnt my gym instructors...

If you're doing weights, start with about 10 mins of cardio for a warm up - your choice of machines... sometimes it's easiest to take whatever's available.

When doing weights, don't exercise the same muscles 2 days in a row - so focus on upper body & back or your legs and abs. Give your muscles a chance to repair between work outs.

As far as weights go - do whatever weight you find comfortable... but not too comfortable. Start out with 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Once you can comfortably get through 3 x 15 sets, up the weights next time and drop back to 3 x 10 reps to start with, or whatever you can handle.

As far as the tready and speeds go - once again, whatever you're comfortable with :) Don't get caught up worrying about what others think. If you're not sure of anything, just ask someone.

I don't think it matters whether you do cardio or weights first, but definitely do some cardio to warm up. And stretch afterwards. I should listen to my own advice :roll: I never stretch enough.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Booties » Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 pm

i was told once, that stretching doesnt do anything unless you have warmed up first. A PT told me that :p

I think i will do 20-30mins on treadmill and then um rower or should i do only one of those. I want to work on hmmm my back and upper body tomorrow night i think, and then do legs and abs the next day and so forth :p but i will finish with cardio as well 20-30 on treadmill/rower. so i will do about 30 on weights too. Good luck to me :p and 3 sets of 15 I will start on :) with weights at....1kg....maybe

** I will be 70 kgs by Christmas 2009 **

RACHEL CAN DOOOO IT!!!
Booties

Postby herewegoagain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm

actually, you really shouldnt do cardio on the days you lift weights. it becomes counter productive.

try and stick to an alternating cardio - weight day

sure 10 light mins of cardio warmup is good before lifting weights...it gets the mind and blood pumping, but light means light, just warm, NO SWEAT.

cardio expells energy, you NEED this energy and lack of fatigue to lift heavier (or more) weights. doesnt matter if your bulking or cutting (meaning heavier weights less reps or lighter weights more reps), the same thing applies

so try and alternate the days, cardio one day, weights the next, cardio the day after then weights the next etc......

it also gives your muscles time to repair........on their days off

regards,
herewegoagain

Postby Tarz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm

herewegoagain wrote:sure 10 light mins of cardio warmup is good before lifting weights...it gets the mind and blood pumping, but light means light, just warm, NO SWEAT.

cardio expells energy, you NEED this energy and lack of fatigue to lift heavier (or more) weights. doesnt matter if your bulking or cutting (meaning heavier weights less reps or lighter weights more reps), the same thing applies

Every PT i have spoken to has said differently to this.

I have been told each time that you are better to throw cardio in with the strength to help burn more calories. I'm not saying an hour of running followed by strength But enough to get your blood pumping and sweat starting.

My schedule at the gym (which my pt approved of) is:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10 minutes warm up, 20 min cardio the 30 minutes on strength machine
Tuesday, Thursday and Sat 1 hour cardio
with stretching before and after all workouts. You do have to leave a day between using muscles to let them recover so you can do all over strength then skip the next day or do upper half one day, then lower half the next and alternate everyday.

As for what weights to set the mchines to Milkyway is right, have it comfortable but not to comfortable. My PT said if your not starting to have some difficulty towards the end you should be going up a weight. I do 2 sets of 12 reps of each and strecth between each set for about 30 seconds.

Don't focus to much on the strength until you have had your pt session, that way they can show you how to use them properly.
Tarz

Postby herewegoagain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Tarz wrote:
herewegoagain wrote:sure 10 light mins of cardio warmup is good before lifting weights...it gets the mind and blood pumping, but light means light, just warm, NO SWEAT.

Every PT i have spoken to has said differently to this.

I have been told each time that you are better to throw cardio in with the strength to help burn more calories. I'm not saying an hour of running followed by strength But enough to get your blood pumping and sweat starting.

My schedule at the gym (which my pt approved of) is:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10 minutes warm up, 20 min cardio the 30 minutes on strength machine
Tuesday, Thursday and Sat 1 hour cardio
with stretching before and after all workouts. You do have to leave a day between using muscles to let them recover so you can do all over strength then skip the next day or do upper half one day, then lower half the next and alternate everyday.

As for what weights to set the mchines to Milkyway is right, have it comfortable but not to comfortable. My PT said if your not starting to have some difficulty towards the end you should be going up a weight. I do 2 sets of 12 reps of each and strecth between each set for about 30 seconds.

Don't focus to much on the strength until you have had your pt session, that way they can show you how to use them properly.

hi there,

there are pros and cons to both......I have also been told both,

dont get me wrong, their is NOTHING WRONG with doing cardio and lifting in the same session...... and yes with the metabolism up and running when you start to lift, then yes lifting weights after cardio will continue to burn cals.

BUT.

It will ultimately effect your gains to some degree. Now depending on biological structure, this degree could actually be alot.

If gaining muscle mass is a priority, then cardio and weights (expecially pre weight session) may not give you the results as quick, for the simple reason of muscle, fatigue prior to your session starting.

I have personally tried it, I have had friends that have also experimented with it.

There is heaps of literature on both sides of the coin, and neither is ultimately RIGHT or WRONG (as they are both excercise) and they both are benificial to us all (me expecially :P)

bottom line for me and the way it had clearly been explained to me,

is....most of us dont really enjoy lifting weights, our time is also limited, so in what time we allocate to lifting weights, make sure you dont lift in a fasted state (empty stomach), make sure you are fresh and are close tpo 100% capacity, best is to lift to failure, refuel post workout ASAP and rest. These factors will maximise gains in shorter time.....

running for 1/2 hour with a elevated heart rate prior to lifting, will not allow you to damage your muscles as much in that session. Along with the physical fatigue, also comes the mental fatigue whilst 1/2 way through a gruling weights session.

as I said, it isnt wrong to do both at the same time, but most people like to see muscle gains or what we all like to call RESULTS, in the shortest time possible, if thats the case then maximising every lift and every rep for the limied time we all spend in the weights room is a must to make substaintial gains in shorter times.....

Either way, I cant really talk as im chubby as can be now :P

regards,
herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:35 pm

sorry forgot to add, this also applies in reverse.....

fatigue when lifting weights occurs moreso.........

then to step onto a treadmill for 30 mins after,

it makes it a whole lot harder to keep your heart rate elevated an (at optimum burning rates, normally around 80-85%) of your HRmax,

making your cardio session also less effective.............
herewegoagain

Return to Exercise Talk