It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 am

Free Newsletter

Why does it hurt so much?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Why does it hurt so much?

Postby meegs » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am sure someone can tell me the answer to this.
Why, after you have done a really good workout, do the muscles hurt so much.
I realise that they have to repair themselves - but how is this good?
You know those days when you have done so many squats and lunges that you can't even sit down on the toilet it hurts so much - how is that good???

I look forward to your replies.

xxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Re: Why does it hurt so much?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:00 am

The pain you're feeling the next day after a solid workout is caused by micro-tears in the muscle. When the body repairs the tear it builds more muscle onto it, which prepares the muscle for the next time it is used that strenuously. This is how we build muscle through working out (link). That's also why it's important to rest a day between muscle-building workouts. Your body needs that day to rebuild that muscle. If you continue to work a muscle that already has micro-tears all you do is re-tear that muscle, making it weaker in the long run and not letting your body add more muscle. Micro-tears are bad in the long run if not allowed to heal. As far as I know most repetitive strain injury is micro-tears (usually to tendons). Plantar fasciitis (my fave injury of the last two years) is caused by micro-tears to the plantar fascia running under the foot.

Micro-tears are bad if not allowed to heal, but repairing micro-tears is good!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby meegs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:50 pm

I knew that someone would have the answer.
Thanks for that.
I also am suffering from Plantar Fascilitis at the moment - but never realised it was related in the same way.

I guess that means I should rest my foot completely. (Not likely with two boys under 6!!!!)

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Meegs
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Ah, plantar fasciitis - my favourite subject!

How long have you had it? Most cases fix themselves in under 6 weeks. Have you been to a GP or podiatrist about it?

It seems there's no one cure that fixes everyone when it comes to PF. I know people who have sworn by taping their feet, but that was useless for me. Rolling the sole of your foot on a tennis ball or golf ball is supposed to be good, but it didn't fix mine. I made a pair of strassburg socks to keep my feet at a 90 degree angle while I slept. That way the plantar fascia is stretched while it repairs overnight. Otherwise when you stand up the next morning you simply re-tear the areas that repaired overnight (which I think is why it hurts most in the mornings).

The things that fixed my PF are switching to FitFlops and [ur=http://www.crocs.com.au/l]crocs[/url] for everyday walking shoes, and a special stretch which targets the plantar fascia (here is the link to the news article, click the show transcript link. Instructions on how to do the stretch are contained in the transcript).

I still have some bad days, but I got back to running 5km which I was pleased about (until I strained my back which is another story entirely!)

Good luck with your PF!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby dannyboi » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:41 am

Wow I didn't know about that micro-tear thing. So that explains the pain that happens when you apply some force to specfic areas.

So I guess it's a good thing as long as you don't overdo it. Exercising in pain is ideally avoided then, of which I can't really handle anyway.
- danny
dannyboi

Return to Exercise Talk