It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Free Newsletter

Exercise 4 us Larger People!!

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercise 4 us Larger People!!

Postby anthony88 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:48 am

hey guys,

just wondering what kind of exercise, us larger people do?

i have lost 17kg+ and all i have been doin is going on the treadmil every day, but i want to do work on toning aswell..
and being 120kg its a bit hard to do push ups and sits up at the moment....
what exercises do u larger people do??

my closest gym is around 40 minutes away and while im really considering gettin a membership, its going to be hard to fit the time in to go to the gym plus the 40 mintues there and back.....

i was thinking about buyin a home gym set off ebay, im mostly need to work alot on my stomach and top half of my chest, as this is where i carry most of my weight??? do u think a home gym set would be the way to go???

i really want to try and do a bit of toning exercise now to help prevent alot of loose skin.. what do use think???? thanks for your help, i appriate it
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Re: Exercise 4 us Larger People!!

Postby Karnak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 am

Toning is great for firming bits up and pulling bits in and a lot of the stuff can be done inside the house.

First off why can't you do situps and pushups at 120kg ? I did them at 188kg. Sure it wasn't elegant and I think I did 2 situps at first but after a few months and at 150kg I could beat most people at situps (I'm still crap at pushups but I hate them).

So -

Fitballs are great to do situps on as they help support you and you can do different levels of difficulty on them (sitting up a little to flat out).
Pushups - start on a bench / table / even wall and do the motions, then slowly lower yourself as you get stronger and better at supporting yourself.
Stepups - great for thighs and bum
Lunges - great for bum, thighs and tummy - get someone to show you how to do them properly
Squats - Great for bum, legs, waist - get someone to show you how to do them properly.
Leg lifts - lay flat on back and lift legs (keep together and straight) - sounds easy but its bloody hard but brilliant for the lower abs.

Handweights - theres 101 activities to do holding a bottle of water in each hand (or check out garage sales for cheap weights), hire a DVD or look on you tube or fit descriptions of exercises.

My suggestion would be to plan yourself a home routine WITHOUT equipment, if you stick to it for a couple of weeks then consider spending the money. After a couple of weeks if you spend 30 or so minutes a few times a week even without equipment you'll notice a change.

Good luck
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby anthony88 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:03 pm

i dont know why i cant do sit ups.. as i try to come up my lefts lift up in the air and i cant get all the way upp. and i just tried it then and my backs killing me///

but thanks i will give some of the other suggestions a go

mabe a fit ball would be good...
so wat different exercies can u do on a bit ball// can u explain to me how to do them exactly???
thanks
[/url]

anthony88

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 pm

The only way to see your muscles is by losing the fat covering them, unfortunately, but if you're wanting to draw in your more flabby areas and start feeling your muscles, then sucking in as you do aerobic exercises or dancing (or rebounding) is helpful, also using very light weights and generally tensing, holding and releasing the muscles you can while you exercise.

I'd still stick to focusing on fat loss at the moment, and perhaps invest in a rebounder, which helps bring a bit of tone to your muscles when you work out on it. Their general weight limit is around 300lbs, or roughly 136kg. It's fantastic for lymphatic flow, too :)

I found out about the rebounders benefits about a week ago and im thrilled with it, so i think it would definately be worth a go.

If you have any questions then I'm happy to answer what I can :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Oh! also, don't be too disheartened if when you lose your weight initially your skin is loose. I originally was 101-102kg then dropped to 80kg and stayed around the same weight for about a year and my skin tightened up a fair bit. Skin really needs to adjust, have you considered taking a break to maintain for a couple of months every time you lose 10-15kg?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby Mandie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Oh, along with everyone elses tips - when I was a bit bigger (bit under 140kg), I used to struggle with sit ups too. Try hooking your feet under a couch or getting someone to stand on your feet, and then sit up - much easier!
Mandie

Postby anthony88 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 pm

ok thanks guys i will give that a goo.. um how did u go with loose skin mandi?? well i havnt budged much with my weight in the last 2 months, as i havnt had the time and energy to keep going, but i havent put on any weight which is good i guess..
so do u guys think loosing 10kg then maintaing it for a month, then to loose another 10kg is the way to go??

and whats a rebounder??
[/url]

anthony88

Postby Mandie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't have any loose skin - I lost the weight fairly gradually (went from about 140 to about 110 in 8 months) - about 3-4kg per month. I exercised and ate well..

Having said that, I'm still at 118 now (have maintained between 110 and 120 or so for 3 years now) so it's not like i've lost LOADS - but i honestly believe loose skin will not be an issue if you lose weight slowly (1/2-1kg per month) and continue to exercise.

Good luck!
Mandie

Postby anthony88 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 am

1/2 a kg to 1kg a week or month?????
[/url]

anthony88

Postby Mandie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 am

I meant 1/2-1kg per week, but 1-2kg per month is fine too :)
Mandie

Postby Shalimar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:10 am

I'm a walker, it's the only exercise I do, I could walk for miles no problems but I don't push myself, it's not in my nature :wink:

However, I am looking at joining a gym next year.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby teddybear17 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi, my hubby and I do a lot of walking around shopping centres here in Melbourne, and I go and use toning beds, depending on which suburb you are in, there are various places around. The one I use has nine different beds, and a vibro machine. Each bed moves a different part of your body, and it is relaxing as well. You lose cms there, only weight as well if you watch what you eat. There are people our size there, and also small people, all women.
PM me if you would like to know more. :D

This is my first major goal.
Next one is to get under 80kgs.
Finally, somewhere around 60kgs.
teddybear17

Postby anthony88 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:33 am

yeah i want to know more........what exactly is a toning bed? i have never herd of one?? mabe post a photo if u can find one lol.. im so confused (ha)
[/url]

anthony88

Postby whit3tig3y » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:31 am

Cocoa butter is GREAT for keeping your skin firm. Women use it when they fall pregnant to avoid stretch marks as it gives the skin more elasticity, helps it stretch (or contract which is what we want) much easier. I use it every day and it smells purdy.

If your struggling with sit ups, a friend of mine gave me a GREAT sit up that isn't too hard and get sthe same effect, without damaging your back. Lay on the floor and put a pillow under your lower back (where it naturally curves just above the bum) and lift your legs and try to bring your knee's to your chest. I've found that if you try to do a normal situp with your feet tucked under things, it tends to work your your legs more than your middle as your partly using your legs to be able to propell yourself upwards. It also hurts your feet and back :P

Also, if a gentle exercise that can help with overall toning and flexibility is yoga. I have a wii fit and do yoga on that, and you lean sideways and down and back etc and by the end of it i can feel the muscles in my mid section! And you can certainly feel them stretching as you do it!

Hope you find something that works for you :)
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby anthony88 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:12 pm

AWESOME thanks for that!!!!!
[/url]

anthony88

Return to Exercise Talk