It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:40 am

Free Newsletter

I got a new toy

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

I got a new toy

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm

It's a ring that goes on your finger - it's a heart rate monitor, as well as a stopwatch and clock.

Get this though. I thought I was working pretty hard at the gym, all the machines basically on max. Wore the heart rate monitor to the gym and.....
Stepper, level 14, which is as high as it would go - 110 bpm
Treadmill, 15% incline and 7.3km/hr - 90 bpm
Cross trainer - 90 bpm

How slack is that!!!

But then, lying in bed last night, I got down to just 55 bpm.

Am I just not working all that hard. Or do I have a very slow heart??? :? :shock:
SarahC

Re: I got a new toy

Postby warriorcat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi Sarah, I don't really know much about Heart Rates etc, what's "normal" and what's the aim for exercising? Was your gismo expensive? I was thinking of getting something like that because i don't trust the silly machine on my cruddy XTrainer. lol!

From recollection when i was last at the gym (like in a past life) when i was on the cross trainer they said to stay above 65 and on the exercise bike stay above 80. I don't know what they were referring to but i assume it's the BPM. Sorry i'm not much use! :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:02 pm

I can't remember how much it was, but it wasn't expensive. Maybe around $30 :?

I don't trust the pulse readers on the machines either. This morning my cross trainer was telling me 170, when the pulse ring said 90 :shock: Stupid :roll:

I think it's because my resting heart rate is so low, that it's hard to get my heart rate high. Either that, or I am incredibly lazy.... :?
SarahC

Postby jessica86 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:22 am

i take my own pulse when im training hard lol. i did buy a heart rate montior i just havent figured out how to use it yet. your resting heart rate is on the low side of normal, which could explain why ur having trouble getting it up, but hey having a low RHR is something alot of people would love to have!

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby carinna » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:02 am

Maybe it's not getting an accurate reading because it's on your finger. I'm really not sure.
*Check out my BEFORE and AFTER pics*:
http://www.carinna.wordpress.com
**Comments are always welcome!**
carinna

Postby Jisgone » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:59 am

i did alot of research on heart rate monitors before i bought mine and most places say not to bother with them unless they have the strap that goes around your chest and communicates with your watch
apparantly the ones that are just a watch arent accurate because they cant pick up a strong heart beat, so i dont know how a ring would manage to pick up your heart rate - ive never seen a doctor grab my finger to get my pulse!
i got a polar one off ebay and i love it to bits :)
Jisgone

Postby Strawberry » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:17 pm

i don't think ur lazy - i think ur pushing urself 2 hard. ur going @ an endurance rate, u should lower it to 65-70% for fat burning zone. that's what i've been told anyway.
Strawberry

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks guys. Yep it is a bit innacurate, but then again so are the grip things on the machines! Also I have realllyyy tiny fingers so it would make it even harder for the thing to read. Lucky it wasn't expensive lol. I mostly got it for the stopwatch function (for some reason my whiz-bang new mobile phone does not have a countdown timer :roll: ) to time out my 15 minute "escalating density" weight sessions, so it hasn't been a complete waste :P
SarahC

Return to Exercise Talk