It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby curvygirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Does anyone go to curves and does it actually work. I have seen a few peolpe loose weight while going to curves but I wonder if it is because they change their eating patterns and not so much the curves exercises.
I would love to hear about your experiences :D
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011

Postby Shalimar » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:24 pm

I'd be interested in this also as I have been thinking about joining up later.
Also if anyone has some info. on pricing that would be good too :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.

Postby ali76 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm

My mum who's 62 and had never been to a gym before, joined about 6-9 months ago and LOVES it!!

She never had much weight to lose but joined to help motivated a bigger, over weight friend. The friend now never goes and mum goes almost every day! She hasn't lost much weight, but like i said before, she didn't need to but her strength, fitness and confidence has sky-rocketed and her shape has definatey changed.

I don't think it would be something I'd enjoy as I like to go to the gym and have lots of variety with things like classes, but she loves it!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby jessica86 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 pm

i dont think it matters what gym you join up with, you have to be prepared to stick to a program and make the effort to go

<3 jess

Postby Purpledog21 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:38 pm

i use to be a member of curves for a year and it did nothing for me but i joined a normal gym and it has done wonders for me. Curves ive found if you just want to maintain weight or lose a little its good. i like the gym i goto now more as you can up your weights on machines but with curves it is more about how many things you can do on machines and nothing else they have no classes or other things besides whats in the curcuit. but its all what you enjoy. the price i use to pay was about 50direct debit.

Postby kristal » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 pm

I really enjoyed Curves - the concept, the time frame, the social side of it etc. I didn't lose much weight on it, because I wasn't really trying. I would go once a week and that really wouldn't help anything (you have to go 3-4 times a week).

However, my mum, my mother-in-law and my aunty all go to the same Curves and they all absolutely love it. My mother-in-law is as skinny as a rake but at the age of 67, it is great for her to keep moving, keep physical. My mum lost 51cms from all over he body by going and my Aunt has lost a heckload of weight.

So you have to be in the right frame of mind, yes, you have to also have an eating plan to go with it to get full benefit and you have to go religiously.

It was alot of fun though - probably more fun than the Fitness First I go to now.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs

Postby Julia68 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I've just done the three day free trial at Contours and I'm joining them. I've done the big gyms and I get quite overwhelmed by them and stop going. I liked the fact there were more real women there that I could relate to. I think the social side of it will help me more and make me try. I think turning up to an exercise class when you can at least chat to someone will make me want to go again. I got quite lonely at the last big gym - I enjoyed the cardio classes but I never spoke to anyone - even when I was at my most disciplined and going about 7 hours per week.

Postby Shea » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:16 am

Hi ladies,
I have experience with both curves and "normal" gyms. If you are the kind of person who if they weren't a member of curves would do nothing at all... then Curves is great... so much better than sitting on the couch; but you have to use the membership at least 3 times per week! The chances of burning lots of fat in 30min on hydraulic equipment... not high... diet plays a big part.
You also must consider that exercise must altered every 6 weeks to keep getting results. Curves has advanced programs but they can only take you so far.
I have seen so many women not get results at curves and a couple that shine above the rest and get great results. As with any exercise program it mut be regular, consistent and you have to work hard when you are there.
Good luck in your decisions,
P.S. Ask if the staff have formal fitness qualifications if you are to join any gym (i.e. cert III or IV in fitness; trained "the curves way" is not a fitness qualification though some curves have qualified fitness staff members).
My Britney concert countdown

Overall goal

SW: 105.7 29/6
GW: 70
CW: 104.3 2/7
G1: 85

Return to Exercise Talk