It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 am

Free Newsletter

walking vs gym

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

walking vs gym

Postby holly80 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:06 pm

do you think you can achieve your goal weight with just walking 3o- 40 min ever day? i ask this coz i am thinking about joining the gym but would much prefer walking

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Re: walking vs gym

Postby Mandie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:17 pm

As long as you stick to a healthy diet, 30-40 minutes of walking daily should be sufficient. Walking is a great all round exercise that is great for cardio, and weight loss. You can step it up to jogging or running, or just power walk, to keep it challenging. You could even get some little wrist or ankle weights to make it harder and improve toning. You definitely can lose weight with this method, if you keep at it :)
Mandie

Postby Rosie Peters » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Holly

Walking is great, but I'd be going for a bit longer than 30minutes if you can find the time. If you can set aside 45 min to 1 hour you will see a better result more quickly and get more toned and fit. You can always cut the time back once you get to your goal weight maintenance rather than weight loss program.

It is useful to have a gym membership not just to mix up walking with some resistance training but also for those days (too frequent where I live) where it rains and makes outdoors walking unpalatable. This year, we had rain almost every day for 3 months :| and I still managed to walk 3 times a week on the dreaded treadmill and do my weights the other 3 days.

If you are a mesomorph body shape, you can really take your pick of exercise, though a 1/2 and 1/2 balance of cardio and resistance training is ideal. If you are an endomorph, more brisk walking and less weights will work best for you. If you want to read up on body types, I've got some info on my website that could help you with exercise and diet options. 8)
Rosie Peters

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:40 pm

I lost my first 10 or so kg's by walking with a bit of jogging before I got my bike, so yes, it can be done. It is a relatively low level cardio exercise, but you can spice it up by doing a bit of interval walking (so walk really fast for, say, 100m, then normal for 300m, then repeat). It's better than sitting on your bum watching tv and if you don't want to do the gym thing for one reason or another, it's a viable alternative that's cheap, easy and accessible.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby musclecar » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:53 pm

Walking is great in my opinion. I did a night of gym work with a mate and I intend to join up once I get some cash, I enjoy doing weights however the thing is with walking its good because you can zone out a bit and chill to some music. I've been walking roughly every night since April. Started off doing 40mins and been building up, tonight I was out for 2 hours and 15mins :lol:

Also time yourself through little areas between streets or whateveer, I do that to keep it interesting. Oh and a large mp3 player is a must, mine is only 500mb and starting to get a little small as repeats are starting happen a lot.

Cheers.
musclecar

Postby soniabaggs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi Holly,

I've been given one piece of advice from my personal trainer which has made a world of difference with my short term and long term weight management. I had been hovering between 65 and 70kg for years and couldn't understand why :( . I had been going to the gym 4 to 5 days per week religiously and not changing. It was quite depressing and made me angry.

I searched around for a personal trainer that could help me with my issue and found a trainer called Nick at PEP in Windsor Melbourne. Nick quickly told me that no matter how much exercise I do I could always consume more calories in a day than I could consume and that the secret to my weight management success was actually in the modification of my eating plan.

Thee month into my training with Nick and I'm at my goal weight (55kg) :lol: and I'm stoked (as you can imagine)!

Anyway I'm sure they could offer you any advice if you want to ask questions. Here is their website http://www.pepup.com.au.

Good luck
soniabaggs

Return to Exercise Talk