It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:48 am

Free Newsletter

Clothing during the cold(er) time of year

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Clothing during the cold(er) time of year

Postby Freddy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:25 am

So today I figured out that I actually don't have any discipline at all. A while ago I started commuting to work by bike, but that stopped quickly when the weather got worse. I said I'd hit the road when the weather got better. How foolish of me... The weather isn't getting better, I just didn't want to face the facts that 1) summer is over and 2) I use any excuse to not have to do any workout at all.

So I want to start over again. I want to get back on the bike, back on the road. But temperatures are dropping... I need something to keep the upper body warm, and I am not sure on what to buy. The lower body isn't a problem, I have cycling shorts and I have the long leg tights as well for winter or colder weather.

I'm a bit worried that I might use wrong clothing and get sick instead of get fitter.

Anyone have an idea on what to buy for bike commuting during winter (and spring and autumn)?
Freddy

Re: Clothing during the cold(er) time of year

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:51 am

I ride all year round. I live in Tasmania and it's usually below 10-15 degrees C on average during the day, usually about 0 with frost and fog when I leave home. We don't get snow though. I will ride in light showers but not proper rain, and if it is VERY windy (usually in spring here) then I might give it a miss if it is gusty and especially if it's a cross wind. Tail or head winds are ok, so long as they're not confused and coming from all angles.

So what I wear in winter:
:arrow: Trackies tucked into fluffy wool blend socks (they don't make my feet sweat and stink as much :wink: ). My legs get cold sometimes, but usually you warm up after a bit and wearing thermals underneath gets uncomfortable and hard to remove once you're warm.
:arrow: t-shirt or long sleeve cotton t-shirt (on REALLY cold mornings a thermal top), a zip up cotton/elastane second layer. This USUALLY does me for anything above about 8 degrees.
:arrow: Under about 5 degrees or if it's foggy I will put on my wind stopping jacket until warm up (like a spray jacket - it's actually my old footy umpiring jacket - elasticised sleeve cuffs are a must, otherwise they get caught on your handlebars and brakes.) A note with waterproof stuff though - generally I tend to find you get wetter with sweat because it can't evaporate than rain, unless it's a real downpour. I take it off once I'm warm.
:arrow: I also wear cycling gloves - full finger for winter and half for summer. Not only helps with wind chill but also if they are proper bike gloves they protect the nerve in your palm AND in the event of a crash they will save your palms from having all the skin ripped off. IMHO gloves are essential. On REALLY cold days I will put another pair of normal gloves over the top until I've warmed up.
:arrow: On the really cold days, like 0 and under with heavy frost, I wear a neck warmer (double thickness polar fleece tube that I put press studs on for easy removal).
:arrow: I also wear a head band/ear warmer (from the bike shop so it's thin material that doesn't interfere with the helmet) all year round because my ears feel the cold :oops:
:arrow: And because at out latitude it is generally dark when I leave and come home in winter, I also wear a reflector vest over the top and I have flashy lights on my bike. I've still had some near misses though
Hope that helps!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:03 pm

I've already been scouting for a bright yellow (near reflective ;)) rainjacket, and found one. Just have to wait now for the boss to pay out again ;) Same goes for a windstopper, I just need one. The Netherlands is all about nasty headwinds and rain, so I think I will need both badly.
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Sounds good. If you can possibly afford it, try and get a good quality high tech raincoat that's breathable (like gortex) because otherwise it can be like wearing a plastic bag in a sauna!!!

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 pm

True, but wearing a plastic bag in a sauna might be good for weight loss ;)
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Hey, are you thinking what I'm thinking? There could be money in this idea!!!! :P :lol:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:48 am

I think we should check out this theory. I'll wear a cut open garbage bag to work tomorrow, since I'm going to be commuting by bike tomorrow ;)

No, seriously. The idea's been done. And I'm ashamed to have actually bought one of those sauna suits in the past. I sweated like hell, but didn't lose a gram. So I chucked it out into the garbage and never thought of it again. Good riddance :)

So tomorrow I will be commuting by bike, with a normal cotton t-shirt and a cotton fieldjacket on. I've got some plans to trade up to a nice windbreaker for the chillier days, but that's got to wait for some new money to arrive in my wallet.
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:04 am

When I read some of the flyers in my mailbox I was very happy, winter cycling clothes for low prices at one of our local walmart-ish stores! So this afternoon I got back home and hopped by the store, what do you think? Sold out... Nothing left, only one jacket, sized S!! I'm not a size S, otherwise I wouldn't be here on the forums, everyone understands. So, pants... 1xS, 2xM, that's it. WTF!!? Only thing I could find was a set of gloves that fit me, nice and warm. That's a pro, but what a daybreaker can that be...
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:17 am

That sucks! And of course once you can't have it you want it even more. :roll:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby musclecar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:10 pm

During the winter in the morning it was fairly brisk outside. Im talking thick frost on the ground so not overly cold compared to other places.

I wore jeans and a thick polar jumper with zip up neck, kept me warm but more importantly I didn't catch a chill.

I will say riding in shorts or tight hugging pants on a bike is preferable though.
musclecar

Postby Freddy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:50 am

I just ordered a cycling jacket, not a winter jacket though. Since I have a couple of thermal shirts and ski turtlenecks I should be fine for the next two months :)

And a helmet obviously. A real cyclist needs a helmet, I feel a bit silly without it ;)
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You mean you ride without a helmet?????!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know far too much about brain injuries and the damage caused at even minor head trauma to even contemplate doing that.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:16 am

Hardly anybody rides with a helmet here. We have bike paths next to every road, so you don't even ride with the cars on the same road. I ride only 20-25km/h.
But still, I don't feel safe enough and want to feel safer, and want to make sure I dont get cold, so I thought I'd order something extra; the helmet.
Freddy

Return to Exercise Talk