It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Bike commuting

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Bike commuting

Postby Freddy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:54 am

I'm quite new to bike commuting. I've had two chances before to getting used to the bike commuting lifestyle, but threw them both away. Both chances were this year, after second half of the year, so very recent. Still I want to try again. I've been watching too many "Made" episodes on MTV I guess. I think I can become a great bike commuter. I believe I can do 9000km a year by just commuting. It's 50km round trip each day, 5 days a week.

Who else here is a bike commuter?
Freddy

Re: Bike commuting

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:08 pm

me! 38km return. Love it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 am

I only did 25km today. While on my way to work, I threw up three times at the bottom of the monster bridge I have to get over to get to work. Annoying and humiliating when doing that at 24km, just before getting to work. You just feel everyone looking at you, while you spit out some leftovers from the muesli and milk combo that just came up... Weird thing is that I never had this before, first time after 4 weeks of non-commuting and my body just shuts down apparently. Also weird that I already started feeling a bit freaky in the stomach at 9km...

Ah well, I feel good now. Was picked up by the wife after my course, so tomorrow morning I have to go to work by train. Tomorrow afternoon I'll get back home by bike.
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 pm

I find if I ride straight after breakky the same happens to me, I've vomited a couple of times and felt queasy a heap more. Something about the position you're in while riding maybe? Anyway, I found for a long time the solution was to have breaky after I got to work/uni, but recently I've been needing a little food before I leave to boost the energy - I was just dragging myself there and slowing down markedly. So now what I so is have a small bowl of cereal, walk th dog for 30 min which seems to settle my stomach, then get on my bike and everything seems to be ok then.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:48 am

I took the bike back home this afternoon. Was a nice experience, went up the bridge quite fast, felt like I just kept ringing my bell for the people in front of me to make some room ;) Anyway, no uncomfortable feelings today, felt healthy all day long.

Took a shower when I got home, and just couldn't resist hopping on the scales. Lost .3kg today, but still ate my regular lunch and such :) I'm looking forward to hopping on the scale tomorrow morning, when it's another official daily weigh in for me.
Freddy

Postby musclecar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Wow good work man!
Sounds like you are really burning up those Kms!

I've suddenly felt really weak riding home this last week, I'm not sure if I'm sick or what. Where before it was a real challenge effort now it feels completely power zapping. Im trying to work it out, its all up hill on my way home.

Anyway goodluck with the riding man :D
musclecar

Postby Freddy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:50 pm

I did another 25km to work this morning. Had to start at 7 AM this morning, so I had to leave home early. Around the time I left, 5:15AM, I already felt a bit sick. I haven't thrown up at all this morning, but I don't feel good... I think it might have something to do with a flue that's going around the office. It's either that or I'm intolerant for one of the drugs I'm taking.
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:02 pm

It finally struck me, I don't have to do 50km a day to be able to work out... I can do just 25 just fine! How? Monday morning I ride to work, Tuesday afternoon I ride back home, Wednesday morning I ride to work, Thursday afternoon I ride back home. Et Cetera... So, I can do 25km a day just fine. Unfortunately I do have to buy me a train ticket each day, but in a month it will have saved me €40, making a clean €480 a year.

I'm happy, my wife's happy (because she's kind of cheap ;) ) and the boss is happy.
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I set a new high speed record this morning: 55km/h :D
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 am

Next week should be great. Weather will be improving nicely, about +5C with a little wind.
Should be pretty doable, on the lady below:

Freddy

Postby mumnbub » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:36 am

I recon if i had a bike i would be out riding every day- but cant do that until my son learns to ride and thats still a while away.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Karnak » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:02 pm

You can get a baby capsule thing for the bike. I run past people that have them on their bikes and the kids always seem happy.

Congrats freddy on keeping up the bike riding commute. In -5c temperature and I'm thinking it'd be quite dark too - it would take a lot of commitment, you should be really proud of yourself. :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby mumnbub » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm

If i had the confidance and balance to ride with one of those capsuls i would but i am toooooo scared i would fall over and hurt him.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Freddy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:43 am

I'd be afraid to ride the bike with my kid on it as well. Not something I'd want to do.

Though, I hardly use any lights on the bike. On the front I have a 1-LED light, that is pretty bright though, and on the rear a 3-LED light. Both make me nicely visible so I feel quite secure. I'm thinking of getting a blinking bracelet around my arm though, to make sure I'm just that little bit more secure.
I'm not really sure I have the commitment to go with this for the whole year, but looking at the fact that we will be moving this year, it does boost my confidence on that. My travelling distance will be at least 20km less each day! That makes only 150km a week which is very doable. This week I've already done 100km.

Since I'm not feeling too great I won't be riding the bike tomorrow, and Friday (when I have to work till 10PM). But this Saturday will be a riding day again :)

I've calculated that I need to ride 125km a week to get to my goal this year: 6000km. I'll be fine :) Hope to go riding during holidays as well, but for fun instead of work :)
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:10 am

Finally... My wife's convinced. If I cough up the money myself, I am allowed to get a decent new road bike.

Here's the one I've got in mind:

Freddy

Next

Return to Exercise Talk