It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:46 am

Free Newsletter

Bike commuting

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bike commuting

Postby musclecar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Great work man!

That looks like an awesome bike for long distances 8)

Cheers
musclecar

Postby Gordz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm

what new technology is in biked these days? excuse my ignorance, but if a new model is released.. why is it better than the last?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Freddy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:00 pm

It's newer ;)

Just kidding. Shimano has developed several new groups over the years. When in the 80's, Shimano 600 was pretty much top of the line, it has been replaced by the Ultegra and the Dura Ace groups. Right now they've got about 6 or 7 groups for road bikes, which varies from comfort to competition. So the variety has become much greater than it used to be.
Besides that, when you ride a bike from the 80's, it's about time you switched to a new bike. Mine's near wearing out. Chainrings don't have teeth anymore, but they have little shark fins. The spring in my rear derailleur has worn out, so the chain has come off twice over the past week already.

Mostly, new technology by Shimano means an improvement :)
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 am

Discussed this a bit more with my wife, and decided that I should go more with quality than with 'just a bike'.

At work we've been discussing the possibilities of the company financing cyclists. Had a short discussion with the head of the financial department, who is a cyclist as well. When I mentioned the fact that I need a new bike, and was interested in the type of bike he's riding, he told me he would love the company to finance cyclists a bit. Though it seems there are some things the tax services want you to do, like ride the bike to work 3 days/week on average.

Anyway, it's a near win for me. The financial department guy is trying to see if he can put a quick cycling plan together, so I might be able to buy a bike with about €100 in my advance. Besides that I have already earned around €90 outside of work (which I've agreed on with my wife, that this is MY money). That makes about 600-190= €410 for a brand new road bike, which is one of the best deals ever made :D

So below is the bike I'm looking at right now, instead of the budget one I mentioned earlier:

Freddy

Postby Gordz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 am

wowwwww... this one has thin bits AND fat bits!!! lol. Can you take it to the skatepark though? I can't see why these cost so much more than a mountain bike.... are they aircraft grade light aluminium or something?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Freddy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:21 pm

€600 For a road bike is a steal. These are the lower end road bikes from Giant. The better version will cost at least double.

Though, they're made of light aluminum, have a Shimano Sora 27spd group, wheels made by AlexRims and a few other high grade components that (apparently) cost a few euro's. This bike is about 3x the price of the one I posted before, which was only €220. This is because the bike I posted before is heavier, has a much cheaper Shimano 2200 group on it, and obviously nobody will have ever heard of the brand Marlin if you ask around for it. Giant however, has built up a reputation of high quality, lightweight, super sweet road bikes.
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:06 am

I recently found a second hand Giant OCR². Love the design, and love the Shimano parts on it.

This Monday I will be dropping by the seller to have a look, and maybe even take the bike with me right away. I think that I will take it with me immediately though. Looking at the parts and the brands on the bike, I guess the €225 the owner is asking is a good deal.

After that I'll still need some pedals (because they're not included) and a pair of cycling shoes...

I'm so excited :oops:
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 am

And today the shoes and pedals are being sent to me.

So I hope that this Thursday I will be able to ride fully geared up :D
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:40 pm

So I'm pretty thrilled :)

I have 1 new bike, a new pair of cycling shoes, and a new pair of pedals.

I have a late shift today, and will be riding the bike to work. I'm pretty keen on seeing how it works out.
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Riding the bike in the dark was big fun. I had a pair of lights on the bike, so I could still see a little in the darker places. Overall my roads are pretty well lit, so I can see about everything :)

Besides, new speed record set: 61.5km/h
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:27 am

Just had two days of hell and several obstacles to overcome.

I've learned (just because we were out of money, and couldn't even afford a train ticket) that wind speeds of 4 Bft or 5 Bft are able to ride the bike in. Though, it's less fun. I had to do it, because I just had to, not because I wanted to.

Last week I fell off my bike, smashed my knee into the pavement. Bit bruised and bleeding I got home, cleaned up the knee and found myself ready to go after three days again.

Last Saturday I had to lay floorboards in my brother in law's new appartment. I had fun, but the day after my thighs were trashed. And we were out of money. I had to ride the bike to work, while my legs were already trashed.

So now I've ridden 2 days of 4/5 Bft wind speeds, pooring rain and soaking wet clothes.

I've learned that I don't like riding my bike. Not at all. I LOVE it. It makes me feel stronger than ever. My legs may hurt, but still I ride 50km a day and I love every minute of it. Though I might feel bad when I am actually riding, afterwards I feel awesome. People have given me more respect than ever for the past few days, and I really appreciate that. It actually makes me feel stronger.

Conclusion: I don't like cycling. I LOVE it!
Freddy

Postby court » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:33 am

Hey Freddy!
I am about to get a bike to commute myself! I am only around 10kms from my gym and 1km from my work and i dont drive - at the moment i WALK - it hink a bike would be a great idea for me! As a newbie to it can you advise what to look for ina bike? I was going to grab a cheap one! But i think you may steer me in another direction!
I think it is great what you have been doing :) :P
Oh and i wont be riding on the road! Eek! footpaths and back streets ALL THE WAY!

Court x
court

Postby Freddy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Do you like to sit upright a bit more than bent over? If so, you should look for a hybrid, or maybe an MTB. If you like to ride at insane speeds and like to sit bent over a bit more, you might like a road bike or a cyclocross bike (which is like a road bike, but with slightly wider off road tires for more ground control).

It's more up to you actually. You have to find out what you like to ride, and what your riding style is. What I can tell you, if you get hooked.... get rid of your gym pass. You don't need that anymore then ;)
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 am

New speed record: 63.2 km/h

This however, took place when I was being hunted down by a dobermann pincher. I discovered that a dobermann pincher is (apparently) physically unable to run at speeds like that. Luckily for me, it wasn't a greyhound... ;)

I had my moment of glory :)
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:48 pm

I had to show it some time... So here's my second wife.

Freddy

PreviousNext

Return to Exercise Talk