It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:11 am

Free Newsletter

Bike commuting

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bike commuting

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Freddy wrote:New speed record: 63.2 km/h

This however, took place when I was being hunted down by a dobermann pincher. I discovered that a dobermann pincher is (apparently) physically unable to run at speeds like that. Luckily for me, it wasn't a greyhound... ;)

I had my moment of glory :)

bah ha ha ha ha!!! I have a wonderful mental image of that now. Our dog likes to chase bikes too and the worst thing you can do is keep riding, just makes them want to chase more and unless you can accelerate REAL quick, he's on to you. Not that he bites, he just wants to chase your feet going round in circles and poke you with his nose so you fall over and he can lick your face. We're tring to et him out of that obsession obviously :mrgreen:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:42 pm

And I'm really wishing my back would hurry up and be good enough for me to get back on my bike :( I'm jealous

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:04 am

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:
Freddy wrote:New speed record: 63.2 km/h

This however, took place when I was being hunted down by a dobermann pincher. I discovered that a dobermann pincher is (apparently) physically unable to run at speeds like that. Luckily for me, it wasn't a greyhound... ;)

I had my moment of glory :)

bah ha ha ha ha!!! I have a wonderful mental image of that now. Our dog likes to chase bikes too and the worst thing you can do is keep riding, just makes them want to chase more and unless you can accelerate REAL quick, he's on to you. Not that he bites, he just wants to chase your feet going round in circles and poke you with his nose so you fall over and he can lick your face. We're tring to et him out of that obsession obviously :mrgreen:

I've talked to the owner after the dog chased me three times. Turns out he's just a runner/barker, and loves to chase me. I'm not giving him that challenge anymore, I've kept riding at 30km/h steady after the owner told me ;)

I never took a shot of my actual bike. Just some bikes I had been thinking of getting... So here's what I'm actually riding :)
(Working on some minor modifications to make it more comfortable, new stem, new dropbar... nothing too visual)

Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Nice ride Freddy! I wouldn't mind getting one of those under seat bags too - I've got panniers, but that would be good for repair kits etc.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:12 pm

I've found out that it's just doable to use a backpack each day, with only the bare essentials in it: lunch, fruit, wallet, phone, portable harddisk, agenda. I use the backpack as well to take a few towels, and some clothes to work 2 times a week. It's doable for 50km a day :)
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:05 am

First day of commuting after one day. My perineum hurts... BAD!
Freddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 am

Have you got a swanky seat on the bike... one of the ones with anatomically helpful grooves?? Might just take you a while to get the requisite saddle callouses, but particularly for cyclists of the male persuasion in a dropped position, the grooved seats are very helpful (or so I've been told).

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:04 am

That's true, but only for a part. A saddle should fit you, as if you're trying on some shoes at a shoe store. The correct width of the saddle reduces more pressure than a 'hole' in your saddle, that's what I have found out. Besides that, the handlebars are of very much influence in your riding position, and (obviously) saddle pressure. Right now my bar is too much to the front, causing my perinium to slide too much along the saddle. I adjusted the height of the saddle today, which saved me just a little bit of rubbing, but it's not enough. A new stem is already in, I'm waiting for a new handlebar right now which is already ordered. Should be here around Thursday.

I've noticed there's loads of things influencing saddle comfort, and it doesn't just include the saddle :)
Freddy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:48 am

Wow. That's a lot more complicated than I would have imagined! I hope the adjustments help make your ride more comfortable, Freddy.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:36 pm

All very true.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Freddy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 am

Been riding pretty often lately, as it's summer over here.

Ran into a little issue today though. This afternoon I had a flat tire at about km #19 of my 25km commute. Switched the tire for a spare one I always keep with me. Though, as my pump doesn't get the tire to 8 bar, it's pretty soft and really slows you down. Instead of about 30km/h average, my average speed went down to around 20km/h. Ah well... I'm getting the new tire up to the right pressure and I'll be riding again this Monday. No worries :)
Freddy

Previous

Return to Exercise Talk