It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:40 am

Free Newsletter

Weight gain after starting exercise

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight gain after starting exercise

Postby grace08 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I started exercising about 6 weeks ago just to tone up and lose a bit of weight however I tried on a dress that fit me 2 months ago and it was tight around my hips!! I was so upset! I've been really careful not to eat more just because I'm exercising as I was warned about that and i just feel so frustrated that I've been putting in the exercise (which i really love) and now its having negative effects!! Any advice? I do a pump class once a week, tennis once a week, then 2 sessions in the gym where I combine cardio and weights. Thanks so much in advance for your advice:)

Re: Weight gain after starting exercise

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Couple of things that you might want to consider.
1) If you have a lot of fat to lose and your metabolism is not so crash hot, your new regime may have sparked it into a bit of a weird zone where it's rebelling a bit and putting a bit on, thinking times are hard and it needs to store everything it gets.
2) if your exercise is focusing on your lower body (squats, lunges etc) then you may be changing your lower body shape, perking up your bum and making your thighs more muscular than they were so that your old clothes will sit differently and may no longer fit if they were figure hugging.
3) without a food/exercise diary it would be hard to tell, but it is possible that the increase in exercise has made you hungrier and you've overcompensated and are eating more now than you used to, outweighing the exercise you've done and possibly putting you further over with your energy intake.

Welcome to the forum! :D
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Exercise Talk