It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:38 am

Free Newsletter

Elliptical Bike/Cross trainer

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Elliptical Bike/Cross trainer

Postby lizzy85 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Well I'm just so happy right now because i just assembled my Elliptical Bike/Cross Trainer. I am so excited about using it! I had a little go on it and am impressed with how much it gets my whole body moving. I intend on waking up tomorrow morning and giving it a good 30 minute workout! Has anyone else got one? And if so has it helped you?
Liz

SW: 85.2
CW: 81.5
Mini Goal: 80 Reward: Pedicure
GW: 62
lizzy85

Re: Elliptical Bike/Cross trainer

Postby Freddy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:48 am

I've been doing loads of km's on those at the gym, but I just cancelled my membership. They're great exercise, I used to burn around 600cal in 50 minutes. Great feeling afterwards.

However, I do a 1 hour bike ride (25km) each day now :) Either from home to work, or the other way around.
Freddy

Postby lizzy85 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:56 am

Wow! 50mins. :o I woke up this morning and hopped straight on my cross trainer. I got to 7mins and it was killing me. I pushed my self to make it to 10mins!! My aim is to add a couple of minutes each day... maybe one day i can make it to 50mins!!
Liz

lizzy85

Postby Freddy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:31 pm

I've found that everyone has an exercise machine that works best for that very person. My brother in law couldn't do 20 minutes on the cross trainer, but he went crazy on the running machine, which was bad for me. Besides, it takes some getting used to, your body needs to acclimate to the fact that you're no longer a couch potato. It took me three weeks to get used to the exercise, and then I was able to do any time I wanted on the cross trainer. If I wanted, I could have done 2 hours, but I get pretty bored after 30 minutes.

Though, it's a great workout. I've found that my arms got thinner as well. My legs didn't get sore (they do get sore by my bike commuting) so that was a good thing.

Does your cross trainer have a sloping function? Sloping function is great, it makes you workout one particular muscle in your legs, depending on the slope you set it to :D
Freddy

Postby lizzy85 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 pm

No my machine doesn't have a slope setting. But thanks for the info and advice. I will keep you updated :D
Liz

lizzy85

Postby Rosie Peters » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:55 pm

When I first started at the gym, I couldn't even drag myself onto the cross trainer (too uncoordinated and self conscious). I used to do 5 min on exercise bike and watch the clock.

My current machine of choice is the treadmill and I do 50min at a fast walk on max hill setting - it feels amazing when I stop. It's just a matter of building up your endurance. Believe me, if I can, you can!

It's a great idea to build up slowly, but don't push yourself too hard at first, cause you could get fed up or exhausted.

Music is a great distraction for the long long minutes on the cardio machines.

I really quite like the cross trainer now that I've got better endurance and balance and it works everything that wobbles, but I do prefer the treadmill cause I can read a mag while I walk. :D
Rosie Peters

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:26 am

I've been gymming for about 5 weeks now and got the courage to try the cross trainer for the first time last week - it really works a whole different set of muscles to the treadmill and bike. Unfortunately, it felt very unnatural to me and with short legs and arms I did struggle a bit with it, but I will persevere this week and try to do 10 minutes (in conjunction with my other exercise) and I can slowly build from there.

BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby lizzy85 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:37 am

Well I did 15 mins on the cross trainer this morning and i'm pleased with that. I'm going to build on it slowly, my aim is to reach 30 mins within a fortnight.
It's a great workout, im really feeling different muscle groups being used and i'm working up a sweat :lol:
Liz

lizzy85

Postby lizzy85 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Woo hoo!! Did 20 mins on the cross trainer today! :D
Liz

lizzy85

Postby Ophir » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Love the x-trainer. I generally do 10 mins on intervals when im at the gym as part of my routine. The only annoying thing i find is that my feet start to go numb and can get very painful.
Ophir

Postby Freddy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 am

Ophir wrote:Love the x-trainer. I generally do 10 mins on intervals when im at the gym as part of my routine. The only annoying thing i find is that my feet start to go numb and can get very painful.

I think your shoes might be laced too tight. Have a look at that. I know by loosening mine, I got rid of the numb feet problem instantly. And besides that it might as well be caused by 'a bit' of overweight. Too much weight on untrained feet can be painful and indeed numbing.
Freddy

Postby Ophir » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 am

Interesting about the laces. It doesnt seem to happen on other machines though - i also do 15 mins on the stepper and 10 mins on a treadmill. I have been using the x-trainer consistantly since January (except for the 2 month break while i was o/s and moving) and its been happening since then.

If i move my feet around in my shoes a bit it seems to go away.
Ophir

Postby Freddy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 am

Ophir wrote:Interesting about the laces. It doesnt seem to happen on other machines though - i also do 15 mins on the stepper and 10 mins on a treadmill. I have been using the x-trainer consistantly since January (except for the 2 month break while i was o/s and moving) and its been happening since then.

If i move my feet around in my shoes a bit it seems to go away.

Weird :?
Freddy

Postby Annie.J » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 pm

i love the cross trainer!
i do 30 minutes of it on the hill mode, it seems like a pretty good workout. however i should start considering increasing my time on it :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNrFX3J/]
Annie.J

Postby Ophir » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:38 am

Good work :) I started with 15 mins yesterday on interval mode. Well i always do it on interval mode, but added the extra 5 mins yesterday - felt good afterwards as well :)
Ophir

Next

Return to Exercise Talk