It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:55 pm

Free Newsletter

hurts my stomach?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

hurts my stomach?

Postby faTTi » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:33 pm

I usually walk on my treadmill set on 0% incline. I can jog for 2-3 minutes straight before I get too puffed and have to go back to walking, thats pretty unfit hey lol :oops: But when I first started I could only jog for 1 minute so I'm getting slowly fitter :D I can walk on flat 0% incline for however long I want I don't get puffed too much.

So anyway, my question is I read on another site that walking on an incline is better for weightloss than jogging on flat. So i whacked it on 15% incline, thats as high as it goes, and 4km/hr and I walked like that for only 4 mins and I was huffing and puffing and had to stop before I died lol.

And now my stomach muscles are killing me, soo painful. I had no idea the treadmill worked abs? Should I keep doing it and increase the time slowly, my stomach is my worst area...but I don't want to damage anything.

First Mini Goal: 100kg

faTTi

Re: hurts my stomach?

Postby Pandora » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:31 pm

hey faTTi! good work on the fitness increase - you rule! the tum is my trouble spot too! i didn't know walking/jogging helped the tummy. mum walks constantly as her only fitness practice, she has tiny lil legs and a belly like me! i have read that you should tense the tummy when walking etc to strengthen the muscles, but i'm not too sure. hopefully some of the more knowledgeable ladies and gents have an answer!

good luck :D
pan
Pandora

Postby star » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 am

I would believe this. When I walk I often touch my stomach, and my muscles there feel firmer. Would depend on your posture while you're walking. If it hurts, just don't overdo it. I'm no expert on this though so double check.
star

Postby Ally147 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Great work on the fitness increase.

Can i suggest that maybe you slowly increase the incline? Your stomach muscles probably hurt so much because they were used to no incline and then it was put on the highest it can go. When we walk our waist performs a kind of twisting motion which is in the oblique muscle region of the abdominals. The extra incline just made you work harder hence being so sore. Don't give up on it, just slowly progress to the highest incline. Use the progressive overload principle. Start somewhere comfortable, when its getting too easy for you and you don't feel challenged, put the speed and incline up, that way you will continue to see results rather than hit a plateau and stay there!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIbKc5e/]
[/url]
Ally147

Postby liz1984 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:48 pm

And also you are having to work your core muscles more to be able to stand upright.

I hate treadmills......i cant walk on them for 30mins, even 10mins unless something is really wrong with my mind in that it will let me somehow get to like 10-15mins lol.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8oQwGD/]
[/url]
liz1984

Return to Exercise Talk