It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Help please...

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Help please...

Postby Alexandra » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:27 am

Ok, exercise is my big thing....well, lack thereof
I have many health issues that make exercise difficult, the first one came when I was 7 years old - neurologist diagnosed "exertional migraines" whereby at any increase in heart rate, the blood vessels in my brain swell, causing terrible pain, nausea, vomiting, a stint in the hospital and an overall inability to function. I learned to stop moving and hence, massive weight gain (diet was also a huge problem). I can and have corrected the diet side of things but exercise continues to be a problem. Over the years I learned that anything with impact or anything that increased the heart rate quickly, such as running, especially aerobics was just out of the question and things like swimming were the only options (but getting in my togs in public at this size is something I am struggling to overcome and I'm not sure how to get the best exercise success). These days I walk (slowly) only, but still have to be really careful. Sorry for the long story - my questions are two fold:-
1) any suggestions on other types of exercise, something low impact but gives me more calories burned without making me sick (also, I don't have a great deal of $$ either so can't spend heaps on it)
2) I have noticed with my walking that I get pain in my side eg the old "stitch" thing. It is located under old scar tissue from an operation. Is it just a lack of fitness and it will go (embarrassed that I don't know that being a beginner or non exerciser) or am I doing something wrong? I thought I could have being doing something wrong like drinking too much water beforehand, tried stopping that but still getting it - any suggestions? Thanks, Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Re: Help please...

Postby mumnbub » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Have you tried palates? that is low impact but a great workout, would be worth a try. Walking is great though even if you cant speed things up. some weight training might be good, even if you only use 1kg weights it should be enough to burn the caleries without raising your heart rate too much. As for swimming, maybe go at a quieter time of day so there are less people around, I know its better to hear me say "dont worry about what others think" ect ect but the truth is I feel the same, i hate the way i look in swimmers and prefer to avoid the public eye, Maybe find a pair of boardies to wear with a swim shirt instead of the usual one piece. I would love to do more swimming but i am a single mum of a toddler so its a bit too hard to get to the pool on my own but i think you should give it more thought as swimming sounds like it would be ideal for you.
I have a scar on my right side just under my ribs and I also get a stitch feeling but the more I work the muscles in that area the better it is becoming so i hope it will eventually clear up all together.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:26 pm

Have you spoken to a doctor more recently about your exertional migraines? New medication is coming out all the time for migraines. My partner has one prescribed for him that can prevent a migraine once he feels it coming on. If you can prevent the migraines then half the battle will be won. I'm lucky as my migraines are pretty mild in comparison so sometimes a couple of aspirin is all that's needed to prevent a migraine.

I found this web page which talks about possible treatments for post-exercise migraines. Some of it could be beneficial to you, or at least worth bringing up with your doctor.

This site also has a heap of information about the condition.

If swimming doesn't bring on a migraine but walking does could it be possible that heart-rate isn't totally responsible? Unless you're swimming incredibly slowly usually your heart-rate will rise more with swimming than moderate walking (it does with me anyway, or maybe I'm just a crap swimmer!). Could a rising body temperature be partially to blame?

I second the vote for pilates. It shouldn't raise your heart-rate too much, but it will help you strengthen and tone your muscles. I also think some free weights, lunges, squats and sit-ups could help. If you build muscle you'll burn more calories at rest. That will speed up your metabolism even when you're not exercising and will help you lose more weight.

As to your second question, I often get a stitch while running. While there is still a great deal of debate as to what causes stitches, some people say it's because of the diaphragm helping you breath. It gets jostled a lot along with your organs and can pull on the ligaments. If you breath constantly on the same step it can cause a stitch.

Again the Tri Doc has some good advice on this issue:
  • Focus on the pairing of your gait and your breathing. Most runners breath every two to four steps and do so when one particular foot strikes the ground. Those who exhale when their right foot strikes tend to be most at risk of developing a side stitch. As the liver is dropping secondary to the force of the right foot hitting the ground, the diaphragm is simultaneously rising with exhalation. The result may be excess stress on the ligaments, causing more pain. By modifying your technique to exhale when the left foot strikes the ground you may be able to prevent the stitch.
  • Pacing is very important. Ensure that you start slow and warm-up appropriately prior to pushing the pace.
  • Side stitch is more common when running after eating. Allow two hours after eating to ensure that the stomach is empty before you run.
  • Deep breathing with forceful exhalation may help.
  • Ensure adequate hydration.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Alexandra » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 pm

pilates....excellent, of course! you know, now that I read that, it makes perfect sense! Thanks mumnbub, great idea, absolutely going to give that a whirl. It's also great for toning up, apparently, so that will also be a big plus! Thanks so much for your help. And Ali, thanks too! You always find so much interesting and helpful stuff. I have a very close relationship with my neurologist. We see each other every 3-6 months! I've been on every type of medication known to man. The beta blockers are problematic for me as my blood pressure can get too low and I can have dizzy fainting spells *oppps* 6 months ago I started the best medication ever...turns out it's a drug commonly used for epilepsy but it's been found to be really effective for migraine sufferers as well.

Just to clear up a point, the swimming thing is better than walking from a migraine perspective due to the low impact. There is something about my feet going bang bang bang on the ground when I walk or run that gets a headache/migraine going (it is brought on more quickly if I increase my heart rate too quickly). I will also get exertional migraine if I increase my heart rate quickly swimming too, in fact with any sport, it just happens more quickly if the impact is higher for some reason. Anyway, enough jabber about me....THANK YOU so much for your insights, suggestions and information....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Thanks for the update, Alexandra! It's great that you have such a good relationship with your neurologist. Your explanation of the difference between running and swimming on your migraines makes perfect sense. I hope the pilates works out for you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Maybe try some cycling? Thats a non-impact sport.

I understand the impact movements giving you migranes, i get the same thing except mine arent migranes they're just slight headaches. I personally think its just our brains rattling around the inside of our heads when our feet fall. Maybe some people are more sensitive to that kind of movement than others.
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Return to Exercise Talk