It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:11 am

Free Newsletter

Pain when jogging.

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Pain when jogging.

Postby mum2james » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:51 pm

I've been jogging for a while now and lately i've been getting a sharp pain in my neck that goes down into my left shoulder. I don't think i've injured my neck/shoulder so i'm at a loss as to why it hurts.

Any ideas?

It's getting really frustrating because when I exercise I want to jog but find myself walking because it hurts. :( :x
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Re: Pain when jogging.

Postby milkyway » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:04 pm

I was expecting something about shin splints - not a pain in your neck/shoulder! That's an unusual one. It must be the jolting motion when jogging that sets it off.

I can only suggest getting a physio or osteo or other healthcare professional to check it out.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Believe it or not it could be a stitch. Most people experience stitches in their side but a lucky few of us feel it as a deep pain between the shoulder and neck instead. The current theory is that the nerve that connects to the side of the abdomen where we normally feel a stitch starts in the neck/shoulder area, so sometimes the signals get confused. Use techniques to avoid stitches to try and eliminate the problem. Try not to eat a large meal before running, and drink small amounts of water frequently rather than one huge amount of water.

Another explanation is that you could be tensing your shoulders and neck while you run. Don't hunch your shoulders up while you run, and try to keep your arms a little looser. That may help.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mum2james » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Excellent advice. Thank you. :)
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby Ally147 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I totally agree with EWQ... I used to get a pain in my neck and shoulders when jogging for an extended period of time but i make sure i stand up straighter now.. its all about posture...

EWQ u really are a person of knowledge... u should be doing my degree at uni haha
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIbKc5e/]
[/url]
Ally147

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Haha. I'm busy enough doing my own post-grad degree at the moment without taking on anyone else's studies! :lol:

What are you studying, Ally?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Exercise Science & Rehabilitation
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIbKc5e/]
[/url]
Ally147

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Wow! That sounds really, really interesting! I'm definitely going to have to pick your brains over a few topics that's for sure. :wink:

What sort of rehabilitation do you focus on? Is it for sporting injuries, or is it for recovery from more serious physical injuries? And what area do you want to end up working in when you finish your degree? I think I read in another thread that you want to become a PT. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions! It just sounds like a very fascinating course to be studying. :)
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Exercise Talk