It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Am I doing enough?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I doing enough?

Postby mandymoo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Hi all

Over the past four weeks I have really kick started my weight loss.

Here is what I am doing:-

- 900 - 1200 calories daily
- 10 - 15g of fat
- cut down sugar etc...
- taking daily vitamin b complex and accidopholus
- taking xenical with each meal
- drinking 2L or more of water
- exercising 5 days a week (either 30 mins on bike or treadmill at brisk pace and on thursdays a 1 and a half hour session of yoga)

Now over 4 weeks I have lost about 5kg... But what I want to know is if I am doing enough? Is this enough exercise??? I find it so hard to get into... !!!

Just need some advice because this week I haven't lost anything... And I get antsy when that happens!

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Mandy
mandymoo

Postby Dolly » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi Amanda, the plan you have sounds wonderful except I'd up the Fat consumption to 20g per day as your body needs fat to function properly (hairloss being one of the problems)
Eating starchy carbohydrates such as bread, rice, pasta and potato can sometimes slow weight loss down. It's all a matter of trial and error to find what works best for you.
Dolly

Postby mandymoo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:50 am

Well alot of the time it is near 20g. I do try to steer clear of most white carbs.

For brekkie I usually eat porridge with skim milk or wholemeal toast with vegemite (no butter).

Lunch is usually sushi, salad or salad and tuna roll on wholemeal.

I have my dinners delivered by lite n easy.

So you think the exercise is fine?
mandymoo

Postby Dolly » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:15 pm

I think that amount of exercise is perfect for weight loss. Once you reach your goal you could probably cut it down to 3 or 4 times per week. But that's just my opinion.

I use to belong to eDiets.com and a lot of the women there chose walking as their number 1 exercise, unfortunately too much walking (but I do mean too much) leads to warn out knee joints, serveral of the women had total knee replacement surgery :shock: because they wore their knee joint out. Swimming, bike riding (as you already do) and an eliptical trainer have much less impact on the poor ol' knee joint.
Dolly

Postby Dolly » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Here's a link to our forums home page. It'll have heaps of information on the amount of exercise
that's best to burn up thse kilojoules for maximum weight loss - Exercise Link
Dolly

Postby mandymoo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:24 pm

:shock: wow... thats incredible! My knees do get sore sometimes but I am hoping yoga will give me more strength.
mandymoo

Postby Dolly » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Good choice, yoga is one of the worlds best exercises in my books :wink:
Dolly

Postby mandymoo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:02 pm

I know, I'm loving it! Signed up for a beginners course for 6 weeks and just completed my 3rd week. It's only once a week but it is making such a difference. The muscles in my back feel stronger and my posture is really improving. I especially like the mediatation or as I call it 'nap' at the end of the class! :wink: LOL!
mandymoo

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:36 am

I think losing 4kg in 5 weeks is a good rate anyway. if you lose weight too quickly you are more likely to put it back on because your body thinks it's starving and goes into starvation, keep anything that goes in mode.

I aim for about 1kg per week.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby mandymoo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:35 am

Yeh I aim for that too but I get ANGRY when it doesn'thappen. My partnerkeeps telling me not to worry, that it is all muscle and my shape has changed ALOT. But those damn scales have me hook line and sinker! :evil:
mandymoo

Postby Angel » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:06 am

Perhaps try taking your measurements as well as weighing yourself.

I find it disheartening when I've put in heaps of efforts and the scales either don't budge or budge only a little but if I also take my measurements I find that I've lost a few cms here and there so that keeps me motivated for the next week . . . . worth a try :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby KimE » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi Mandy

Looks like everyone has given great advice. I also keep a food diary so I can see exactly what I am doing and if I am going off track.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby mandymoo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

I really should keep my mesurements - I used to when I was with SureSlim and it was really good to see the progress.

I TRIED keeping a food diary but I always forget to write my stuff down! Oh well, I keep my calorie count in my head most of the time.

I have had a damn cold for the past week but I soldiered on with my exercise. Now the cold has progressed into a full blown head cold and I feel to weak to exercise tonight. Hopefully I am better tomorrow or I will go on a major guilt trip!!!
mandymoo

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:47 pm

if you have a cold, stick to gentle exercise, just to keep yourself in the routine of it, even just a walk down to the end of the block (if you live in the city) and back. Or maybe 20 pushups and 20 situps in blocks of 5 during ad breaks.

Be sure to up your fluid intake to keep hydrated while your nose threatens to drain every last drop and a vege soup with plenty of garlic is good to boost the immune system and easy to make while you're sick (but maybe not your social life).

just quickly fry some diced onion and crushed garlic and ginger and/or chilli if you like, add as much stock or water as you want soup (I often just add water with 1/2 a stock cube then season to taste later) and add whatever you have in your fridge/pantry. Carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato....if you have soup mix (split peas, lentils etc), put this in first and simmer for a while until softening. Then put in the hard vegies and cook until beginning to cook, Then you could put in some spinach if you felt like it, celery, whatever you have. Add a tin of crushed tomatoes if that takes your fancy. Simmer until cooked and season to taste.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby mandymoo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Thanks for that advice! My water intake is pretty good - over 2L a day.

I feel a whole lot better today. I do walk to and from work which is about a ten min walk each way so I'm not technically doing nothing, but I feel like it! I feels o drained though - another early night then back into it tomorrow and hit a gym class. Maybe a boxing class.

I'm going to start the whole soup diet next week which I am looking forward to! Thanks for the recipe too! :D
mandymoo

Next

Return to Exercise Talk