It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Free Newsletter

using weights

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

using weights

Postby lee » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:16 am

Using heavy weights on legs like 120kgs will that shape your legs or make them bigger?Also doing alot of cardio.
lee

Postby Serena » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:55 am

120kg seems an awful lot to be lifting. The trainer who wrote my gym program told me that men bulk up lifting heavier weights but women just don't have the testosterone levels to build that much muscle and would have to be aiming deliberately for bulk with their diet and such. Does that help you any?
Serena

Postby Dolly » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:52 pm

Lee, leg curls and leg extensions will generally build body mass with heavy weights.
If you just want to shape your legs, then you'll have to use high repititions with very low weights.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby lee » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:48 pm

DOLLY wrote:Lee, leg curls and leg extensions will generally build body mass with heavy weights.
If you just want to shape your legs, then you'll have to use high repititions with very low weights.

Dolly
Thanks Dolly for your reply now all I have to is try and tell my gym instructor that I dont want to do them. Because every time i question her she said the exercise is for shape and not for building but every one i speak to says the same as you
lee

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:40 am

Glad I could help Lee.
My 21 year old son Rick has a beautifully muscled body and works out at the gym 5 days per week.
I thought it would be best to ask him and that was what he said.
Good luck with getting through to your gym instructor, maybe he/she knows some new technique that we don't understand fully yet.

Dolly
Dolly

Return to Exercise Talk