It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Free Newsletter

HRM's

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

HRM's

Postby Shalimar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 am

Hi all, just a quick question for those in the know :lol: .

Can anyone recommend a half decent hrm?

I am after one for around the $100 mark- less would be better of course but I would pay more for something that is more accurate. The main function I am after is the calories burnt.
I am going to pop into a local sport shop this arvo before I pick junior up and I am off to have a look at one of our main shopping centres tomorrow but would appreciate some input for any of you peeps that have/used one before i fork out for one.

Ta, Sue :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Re: HRM's

Postby court » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Check out the POLAR range. I believe they are the best ones available... i think mine was $130 and it is the cheapest model and doesnt tell you calories burnt!! So for the next one up you might be looking at more $150+ mark :)
They are available at rebel but you might be able to pick them up cheaper?
court

Postby Shalimar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks Court , I know about the Polar ones but thought they may be out of my price range, $130 is ok by me but not if it doesnt have the calories burnt, that is the main reason I want one. $150 is ok if it has the function I'm after. I'll just have to have a look around I guess.

Thanks for your input Court :D .

Shalimar

Postby wannabeslim » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 pm

try buying a polar watch on ebay. loads cheaper!
2010 goal: get to 56-8kg and keep fit & healthy!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w02nLYq/]
[/url]
wannabeslim

Postby Karnak » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:06 pm

I have the Polar F4 (it does calories) and love it. I got it for $120 on a sale at Anaconda but perhaps look at ebay and trading post for any secondhand ones ?. Perhaps even put a wanted advert up as it's surely one of those items that a lot of people would of bought on a whim
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks WBS, I had thought of ebay I just havent got around to looking yet, will head there shortly :) .

Karnak the Polar F4 is the one I looked at today,the local sports shop wanted $199 for it, if I get desperate I will pay that but I am definitely going to shop around first, even if it takes a month :lol: .

Thanks both :) .

Shalimar

Postby Shalimar » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 am

Okies a bit of an update, I have found an F4 on ebay for $140, more than what I really wanted to pay but I will pay it- Ill consider it my 'weight loss treat' but I am going to check out the rest of the local sports shops first. If I dont have any luck there then I will use the buy it now off ebay and get one from there this arvo.

I had hubby give Anaconda a ring last night but they said they no longer stock them.
I'll let you know how it pans out.

Anyone want to give me a quick rundown on how they work :oops: :lol: :wink: :D ?

Have a good one all :D .

Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:28 pm

I love mine.

First off a HRM consists of two parts, the watch and the chest strap. The chest strap sits pretty much directly under the bra line and against the skin (not sure how it's placed for guys !) and has a hard section for the front and an elasticised bit for the back. For all of 10seconds you notice it's there but due to the placement being an area that doesn't move I haven't ever noticed it. Weirdly enough the chest strap just stays in place.... at first I used to wet the underside to make it stick but I don't find I need to.

The watch takes about 2 minutes to set up - some are ridiculously complicated and require strides to be measured etc, the F4 doesn't and consists of putting in your censored, age, height and weight (all in complete english words). The F4 then gives you a minimum and maximum heart rate based upon age (you can change it) and if it doesn't annoy the crap out of you like it does me you can have the beeping turned on so it'll warn you when your pushing too hard or not pushing enough.

So - you have the watch on, the chest strap fastened and your ready to workout - all you do is press the button on the left side of the watch.... it then takes 2 seconds to sync with the chest strap and up comes your heart rate. With the F4 for every "session" it keeps track of calories burned, highest HR, lowest HR and AVG Hr and depending on which view you have on the watch (time, calories, HR etc - changed by pressing the right button) you have little bullets come up with every few minutes your working out in your target zone. It does totals for the week or set period.

So - whats the point of them ? for me as someone who likes running but is slow I use it to make sure I'm constantly pushing myself and therefore increasing my fitness levels. THe best bit however is looking down at the end of a workout and seeing that I've burnt 450calories or looking at the totals and see that I've done 6 sessions this week and that I've worked out for 6.2 hours and burnt 3400 calories. Its a constant reminder of the whole calories in v calories out fight.

There you go boys and girls -- waaay more information than you probably ever wanted :)
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:11 pm

No, no Karnak,not too much info at all. It was just what I was interested in. Thank very much for taking the time to do that :D .

I snagged one off ebay for $140 and it should be here with in a day or three. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get it.

Thanks again all :D .

Shalimar

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Talk about fast service, I bought it Friday arvo and it arrived at 9 this morning. Im off to play :lol: .

Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 pm

WOW ! Congrats at treating yourself - you so deserve it, let me know what you think ????
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks Karnak :) .
Ive had a little play and so far so good. I jumped on the wii fit and did some step with the extention step. According to the hrm I burnt 80 cals in half an hour, thats less than what I though it would be but Im glad Im not going blindly now. I was worried that I may be exercising myself into negative figures but clearly thats not the case.
Ill have another play tomorrow when I walk junior to school (around 3.5-4 kms) and see what that will burn off.

I had a go at putting the strap on with out wetting the electrodes and it wouldnt pick up my heart beat. As soon as I wet it there was no dramas. I am just a little concerned the strap may 'slip' and then ill lose my readings but so far so good.

Thanks again for your write up Karnak, it helped when I set it up 8) .

Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Glad your enjoying it. i find it rarely slips, only if im lots of getting up and down like burpees or something. Jamming it under the bra strap works. If it does move it's obvious so then you can always wiggle it.

First time i wore it I was bitterly disappointed in how few calories I actually burnt but watching it over time is interesting. I can be jogging along and come up to a hill and think.... Hmmmm if I push I this can be a 50 calorie hill. Or if I've been working out for 45 minutes and I've burnt 379cals... I'll keep working to "round it up" to 400 which I guess is kinda silly. You also learn its actually all to do with effort expended rather than time taken as the higher your heart rate the faster you burn the calories.

Anyway - enjoy... and good luck.
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 pm

I think they are heaps of fun :lol: , this morning I walked for 36 minutes and burnt off 130 cals again not a great deal and I was walking slow due to junior mucking about on his scooter so this arvos walk should be more accurate when I can go at my normal speed and maybe get the heart pumping a bit more. I spent a total of 11 minute in 'the zone' :lol: .

Another question if you dont mind Karnak. I noticed with my heart rate it can speed up and drop down really quickly, in a matter of seconds some times. Would this be normal?

Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:46 am

Ello - happy to help. Yup heart rate can go up really quickly, especially when it comes to hills, sudden fast movements etc. The fact that it also comes down quickly is really good, it's an excellent indicator of fitness levels so congrats :D
[/url]
Karnak

Next

Return to Exercise Talk