It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Free Newsletter

Yep, another question from me, this time about running

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Yep, another question from me, this time about running

Postby Shalimar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi all, this question is for the joggers/runners out there.

This morning I made a decision that as on next weekend Im slowly going to get myself started on jogging/running.
I figure now I have an hrm on the way and im a lot more confident that I wont make a total tool of myself out there im prepared to give it a bash, I just need the bottoms of my trackie dacks taken up as I will be tripping over them and Ill be set to go :lol: .

Anyway my question is what kind of warm ups do you do? The exercise I have done thus far really doesnt call for warming up but I think I should probably start if Im going to start running.
I thought I could just start with a briskish walk and build up into a slow jog and then take it from there. So if you could let me know if im on the right track (no pun intended) or not and also what do you do for warm ups and how long that would be great.

Thanks, Sue.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Re: Yep, another question from me, this time about running

Postby fi_112 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Yeah just start with a power walk for 5 mins then you're usually quite warm. Try doing interval running - jog for 2 mins, sprint for 30 secs, and repeat, as it's best for calorie burning and u get ur workout in a shorter time :)
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Shalimar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks for that Fi, that was pretty much along the lines of which I was thinking. Im really looking forward to it, hopefully it wont be raining :? :lol: .

Shalimar

Postby fi_112 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Good luck! It's more of a mental thing for me like... Fi keep running, keep running ... what are you doing walking?!?!?!
hahaha :)
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Shalimar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:14 pm

I just thought Id give it a bash to up the intensity of things and sometimes when Im walking junior to school I feel like breaking into a run so I thought what the heck Ill go somewhere quiet and give it a go. I'll either like it or I wont. If I do good, if I dont, no harm done :lol: .

Shalimar

Postby smilenjoy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:53 am

One of my workmates is a marathon runner and is very passionate about it. she suggested that if I would like to begin runnng, do 2-3 min running then 2-3 walking and repeat.

Would be worthwhile reading this as well http://www.coolrunning.com.au/runningguide/wiki/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Having a read, I might give it a go as well :)
smilenjoy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 am

A tip I found useful was slow running. If interval running (walk a bit then run a bit) doesn't work for you then this might be helpful. Run slow. As slowly as possible. Seriously, run slowly enough that the power-walkers can overtake you. Concentrate on buildling distance first, then worry about speed later. Back when I was running this was the way I built up to 5km runs. Maybe it suited me because of my exercise induced asthma, because I was never pushing myself too hard. If you don't enjoy interval running then it's worth a try!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:45 am

Thank you Smilenjoy and EWQ, great tips both :D .

I am asthmatic as well so I will definitely take it easy and build up slowly.

Thank you both again, a lot :) .

Shalimar

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Adidas has a good running plan also its interactive I think the site is adiRun or something like that, ive also heard that the couch to 5k running program is good- it think its on the cool runnings site that someone suggested earlier.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Shalimar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for that otd, ill check them out when I have 5 minutes.
Thanks again :) .

Shalimar

Postby Runner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 pm

When I run I warm up by briskly walking for 5mins. Its the warm down that I spend more time on. Brisk walking for 5mins till breathing is back til normal, then i spend at least 10min doing stretches. I look forward to the warm down stretch, Its like a reward for my running efforts. And you can feel your muscells building and just how much more flexi you are getting.
Runner

Postby Karnak » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Gotta look after the whole leg. Start off by walking brisky for a few minutes to get the blood pumping then do a mix of the following :

while slow jogging.....
Side stepping (switch sides)
high knees (walk/jog slowly with bending your leg up high)
heel flicks
grapevine - both sides (probably the most important one)

the warmup should take about 5-10 minutes - 5 minutes if it's afternoon and not too cold, 10minutes if your straight out of bed or if its freezing cold.
then just start off slow.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Thank you both Runner and Karnak :) .

Im intending to get out early before the track gets to busy, if I make a fool of myself I want to do it while no one else is around :lol: .

I just have to remember to warm up and then take it slow. I didnt even think about warming down :? .

What is a/the grapevine Karnak?

Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:58 am

I attempted to type out how/what the grapevine is but then i remembered you tube and sure enough : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYJaLIE2V-Y theres a clip on it. Really the good thing about warming up with the grapevine is that it it incorporates the crossing of the legs to the front and back which helps (at least I find it) warm up the hips a little.

In regards to warming down - its IMHO very very important. Not just does it help with recovery (stretching muscles, circulation, lactic acids etc) but I see it as an injury prevention too - so if at all possible get someone to show you how to properly stretch your muscles and what muscles to stretch. A fitness friend, one single aerobics class, health centre (ex ballet dancers are brilliant when it comes to stretches) etc - can all do this in about 5 minutes for you but it's really something that needs to be properly explained and demostrated rather than just watched and talked about so you know what your supposed to feel and where.

Good luck with everything and I hope you end up loving running as much as I do :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 am

Thanks for all that info again Karnak, you have me really looking forward to it.

Ill let you know how it goes after I have recovered on Saturday :lol: :? .

Shalimar

Next

Return to Exercise Talk