It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:02 am

Free Newsletter

Exercise Bike

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercise Bike

Postby Maraver » Wed May 18, 2005 7:43 am

Does anyone else have one that gathers dust in the corner
I was riding mine regularly till someone said oh its not weight bearing so its not good for you
Is that rubbish, because I was enjoying doing it and thought I was doing something good
Pam
Maraver

Postby buffmumof2 » Sun May 29, 2005 1:52 pm

Yes its rubbish that just because a bike is not weight bearing its no good, I exercise bike is a great way to exercise especially if used regularly. You just need to make sure you push your intensity at different levels through the session and try to go further/longer/faster each time even if its a little.

There are plenty of weight bearing exercises you can do at home to compliment your workout on the bike.

Leeanne
buffmumof2

Exercise Bike

Postby Scott » Mon May 30, 2005 2:07 pm

I have an exercise bike, it's a spin cycle like the ones they use in the spinning classes.

Although exercise bikes are great and can help you burn calories, they can be a bit boring, especially compared to regular bike riding which seems to make time fly.

I've found that watching TV while on my exercise bike helps, but what helps more is breaking my workouts up into different sections.

For example, if I want to ride for 40 minutes, I'll ride easy for 5 minutes to warm up and then increase my speed until my heart rate reaches the zone I want to be in (I wear my heart rate monitor while I'm riding).

After every four minutes at a steady pace I'll speed up for a minute and then go back to my steady pace for another four minutes.

By the time I've done this a few times (6 to be exact!) and had a 5 minute cool-down my workouts over!

Exercise bikes aren't weight bearing but riding one has many advantages over other weight bearing exercises like jogging. Exercise bikes can be ridden any time of day and are very easy on your joints (especially the knees, etc).

I love my exercise bike and having written the above am motivated to ride it tonight while I'm watching TV.

Thanks for the reminder! :D
Scott

Postby buffmumof2 » Mon May 30, 2005 2:29 pm

Another thing your could try if you get board on the exercise bike is do a 10 min ride then get off and do some squats/crunches etc
then do another 10 min then get off and do some other floor exercise then back on for another 10 min.
This really distracts you from the bordom and helps your pulse go up and down.

Leeanne
buffmumof2

Postby emma21 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:00 pm

What distance do you guys think is a reasonable distance to cover in about 30 mins on the exercise bike?

Last night I rode 7km in about 15mins but I will increase that daily..

Emma :P
emma21

Postby Maraver » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:55 pm

Thats really good Emma, I am doing 7.5 k's in about 20 mins and increasing 0.5k's daily
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Maraver » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:18 pm

I did 8k's today
getting tiring now though
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby emma21 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:50 pm

I didnt do any km's today :o

My bum is still a bit sore from the last couple of days. I have to get used to riding my bike again. Plus we had people over nearly all day.

Emma :D
emma21

Return to Exercise Talk