It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby tess88 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:35 pm

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone on here goes to Fernwood? I think this is the only womens-only gym in Perth. Before the zest one in Tuart Hill closed down I was a member of that and having women-only was great (no offence to the men out there!). If there is someone who goes to Fernwood could you tell me how much a membership is and if its worth it? thanks :D

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi Tess. I went to my local Fernwood for about a year, until it closed down :(

I paid $165 joining fee, and then it was $39.50 per month. I definitely got my money's worth as I was going there at least 6 days a week, sometimes 7 8)

The equipment that they had was really good. Lots of variety, and fairly new, not old and ricketty like some gyms! I wasn't to impressed with the audio-visual system in that gym though, it was the worst I have seen! Just a teeny telly in the corner, with no reception :shock: And, just before they closed down, they replaced all the fluoro lights in the place... it was brighter in there than in the supermarket! I was seriously considering wearing sunglasses and a visor... first thing in the morning, when it's still dark outside, that amount of light really hurts :x (That was just at my one though, most others are a lot better! :P )

Good thing though is you get a little book of vouchers that you can use at any other Fernwood that you like. I went to about 4 other Fernwoods, which was really great.

I guess just go in and get them to show you around, then consider how much use you'd get out of it :)

They also have all those personal training packages and weight loss programs, which I am sure that they will explain in great detail! :lol:

Postby tess88 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:12 pm

Ok wicked thanks for that info! They have just opened two new Fernwoods in Perth and they are the only ladies gyms unfortunately. Also They arent in the most central locations which can be a bit of a bugger! Well I think I might go to one and see how it is. I might get a personal training package too if it looks good!

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm

One other thing you may want to check out is a lot of other gyms are starting to incorporate a 'ladies only' area in the gym.

The gym I got to has this at my local branch but not necessarily all the others.

Just a thought.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Return to Exercise Talk