It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Free Newsletter

A strange thing happened today...

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

A strange thing happened today...

Postby KimE » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:39 pm

Well I walked up to the gym to do my usual jump on the cross trainer for 20 mins. Now I do the hills option on the cross trainer specifically kilimanjaro which is a graduated incline to a peak and then graduated decline within the time limit set. I have recently moved up to level 9 (there is 20 in total). When I move to a new level I slowly build up the rpms each time I go getting my body used to the new level. So it could be 5-6 visits before moving up a level. Anyway I moved up to level 9 last week and kept it at around 58-60rpms the next time I would be going 60-62 but the day after I didn't do hills and did the straight but at level 10. Yesterday I jumped on and did Level 9 hills again and forgot where I was and started keeping it up around 68-70 rpms. Realised afterwards I had probably pushed it a little far. So today I wander in thinking hills, level 9 around 62 rpm. The workout stated and I couldn't do it....had to drop it right down to level 1. I don't know what the heck is going on. Having been puzzling it out ever since and have come up with a few things it could be:

- I am getting sick and the body is telling trying to slow me down
- I haven't really been doing levels at all and it's been level 1 the whole time (unlikely)
- the machine was newly calibrated thereby restoring higher settings (possibly)
- I overworked myself the day before and muscles are protesting
- I have over trained and need a break
- it's all in my head and I am being a big woosy girl!

Any suggestions/experiences happy to listen.

I like the cross trainer. :(

Anyway if you got through all that thanks for reading.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:49 pm

hi kim
sorry i dont have any experience with gym equipment since p.e. at school! lol. but i'd be interested in finding out what other people think because it sounds a bit odd. how are you feeling in yourself at the moment???

sorry i couldnt help!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:27 pm

I am very tired, gonna have an early night. It's that time of month too so who knows what the bod gets up to with us gals. My hubby says my hair is limp (gee thanks for noticing, honey :lol: ) and that I may be running myself down a bit.

I do notice things about my body a lot quicker now than I once did and it just isn't quite as it usually is.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:10 pm

sorry to hear that Kim, but I can't help you there...hope someone can offer you some useful advice though..It could just be that you are run down, particulary seen as it is "that time" . HOpe you find an answer soon!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Is it the same machine that you have been using the whole time? On that machine, when you adjust the level, can you notice the change? It could be that the machine had a problem with the resistance levels, and they have just had it fixed... maybe check with the gym staff to see if the machine has been serviced recently? Also, try a different one (assuming there's more than one) and see if it's the same.

Other than that, the fact that you're getting sick and it's that time of the month sounds like a pretty good explanation. I have times when I feel as though I could take on the world, and other times when I don't think I could manage even two minutes! It's all pretty normal :)
SarahC

Postby Garfield » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:31 pm

Some days I just feel exhausted and can barely manage half the workout I would usually do. I'm not sure how to explain it either, although it's usally if I've had less than 4 hours of sleep the night before or am sick. Other times there seems to be no reason for it...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for your responses all.

Yes, there are other machines there but most of the time I use the same one as it is near the window so I can sticky beak whilst working out! I had wondered if they had it calibrated it recently but didn’t ask anyone about it. Also I do feel the difference when I add the resistance as there is a moment after programming the setting that the resistance kicks in.

Thinking back though I did have an interrupted night of sleep with some nasty tummy pain that kept me awake for 1 ½ hrs during the night. I just haven’t had this happen before where my muscles were not going to co-operate, well not with the intensity anyway.

Have decided to take it back a bit and walk today instead although I should also do some weights tonight. See how I feel when I get home. A few good nights sleep and I am sure I will be as right as rain.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:26 pm

I choose the big woosy girl option! LOL

Nah

I often find that if I really decide to go hard, the next day I struggle. Also I find that by the end of the week it's tough. Then monday it's a breeze again - it's like I'm draining a reserve of energy.

Sometimes life's just like that. I hear even seasoned athletes have "lead legs" days.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:21 pm

:lol: yeah woosy girl was my first thought.

I think I had been pushing it too hard. Looking back I had been doing high intensity (heart rate at 90-95%) on a regular basis and it was time to take it back. Re-evaluated and varied up my exercise a bit more adding some stretching, yoga and pilates stuff along with walking and cross trainer only a couple days a week, so far so good.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby TamaraP » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:47 pm

I normally have the same prob, but on a treadmill.
I find the first two days are a breeze but come third I am breathless.

I asked a person at the gym once and they said its best to let your body recover every so often.

So I normally do, two days on one day off. It worked when I was at the gym and so far at home it is working.

HTH
Tamara

TamaraP

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Thanks Tamara. Yeah I cut back the intensity for a couple of weeks and didn't go on the cross trainer much during that time. Feeling better now and am trying not to be so obsessed with the calorie burn and change machines regularly. Even started cycling...Crikey I usually hate that but it wasn't too bad and the perv factor was great as it was up front facing the free weights ....oh yeah, pump it boys pump it! :lol: I know I'm a lost cause...
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Exercise Talk