It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Weights

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Weights

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi all :) this is particularly directed at those who do weights :) i am looking at starting to do some weights at home but i am not really sure where to start and what to buy etc etc. any advice would be wonderful- i need to do something about these arms!!!

thanks in advance!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:16 pm

I started out buying a book and DVD called Simply Strength as I wanted to do it with household items and that's what this does, using tins of food and bottles of water. I followed their 10 min circuits on the DVD.

Later when I joined the gym I bought a 3 session pack with a personal trainer to learn some more exercises, stretches and also to make sure my technique was good. After the 3 session was up I used the free weights at the gym, doing the exercise she showed me which were pretty much what I had been doing from the DVD.

Later still I bought my own set of weights this cost me $200 but you can get a smaller set for around $50. I was fine with this as I knew I would be using it at least twice a week which I do. Also with the bigger set I got dumbells and barbells as I found I was doing different types of exercises with the two. Hot damn but the barbell weighs 6.8kgs WITHOUT any weights on it! The burn the fat feed the muscle book I have goes into weights, progressions and exercises extensively and now I use that as my guide but still do a full body workout with exercises that don't differ too much from where I started.

Enough with the essay already, I could bang on about this for ages so if you need anymore info just sing out.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mandie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Simply Strength? Can't find it on Amazon.. can ya point me in the right direction Kim? I'd like to start doing some weights at home too!
Mandie

Postby Garfield » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:57 pm

I bought a few sets of dumbells - 1kg, 2kg and 4kg ones. I had already been going to the gym and reading up on exercises to do, so I didn't bother with any more books and things, just did my own thing with them. Dumbells are probably one of the more versatile things to buy and they're not that expensive.
If you need a good program to follow, my aunty has been doing her weights based on a book called "Body for life"... I'm not sure of the author. It's a really good program and she has had some great results from the exercises in there.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby slimmindown » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:37 pm

After my visit to the physio today she has recommended using dumb bells I have 1.5 kg weights to start with, and following the exercises out of the book "strong women stay young"

I'll let you know how i go. She has also given me some exercises to do with the weights with each having 2 x repetitions of 8. Its all a bit new to me, but I'm looking forward to it.... 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Garfield » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 pm

You should be looking forward to it, slimmin... when you start seeing results you will love it.
If you have some funky music playing while you do your weights it makes it less monotonous.
[/url]
Garfield

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:59 am

thanks everyone! you have made it sound so much fun!! mick had a weight set with a bench and separate hand weights but when we moved we had no room for them so we sold them- only about 6 months ago! will have a browse about at least i know what im looking for. ive seen the vinyl coated weights are they any good??

thanks again! and sorry to be a pain!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:09 am

Mandie
You can find it on http://www.fishpond.com.au then type in simply strength in the search bar. I picked it up from angus and robertson I think.

Kate
I enjoy doing weights and do find it fun but still have to motivate myself to do them. And definitely once you are into the mind set get some great music on. I never used to at the beginning as I always lost count of the reps! :roll:
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Natalie72 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:44 pm

The vinyl ones are fine, Kate. I have a 1.5 set, a 2.5 set and a 3kg set.

I stand in front of the mirror when I do mine so I can check form. I used to be a lot fitter than this - having babies has done it to me, lol.
Natalie72

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 am

I have a home gym set up in my garage. My dad calls it the "Torture Chamber" :lol:

Girl not included :shock: (I guess that costs extra!)

Oh and it comes with a poster that shows all the excercises you can do on it :wink:
SarahC

Postby KimE » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:42 am

Brilliant Sarah that thing looks like you can do everything on and then some!

Would love a home gym but nowhere to put it so I settle for free weights. LOL you should see them big blokey looking things and not a pink dumbell in site!
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:53 am

i dont think the girl in the picture realises that you actually need to sit and use the thing instead of standing next to it?! :lol:

we had a weight bench but had to sell it when we moved as we had no room to put it here. pain in the butt to vacuum around too :S lol.
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:36 pm

LOL practical Kate I never thought of the vacuuming but yeah that would be a pain.

Did it come as is Sarah or did you have to assemble it! Imagine that, I'd have little screws and bits left over then wonder why it falls apart on me a month later.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:43 pm

The place where I bought it from delivered it and assembled it for me. No way I could have done it by myself! Not too sure what will happen if I was to move house... someone would need to figure out how to dissassemble it :?

Vaccuming is a pain. I have some cardio gear inside, and I've reverted to just using my dustbuster! I crawl around the room hunting for pieces of dirt to suck up :lol:
SarahC

Postby Garfield » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:48 pm

Lol Sarah. I'm sure all the crawling around is great exercise ;)
[/url]
Garfield

Return to Exercise Talk