It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Building up to running...

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Building up to running...

Postby bigboomba » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:53 pm

I just got given a manual treadmill, and I was sitting here staring at it, wondering how soon it will be before I should try running?
I am the kind of person who thought people should only run if being chased, like by a dinosaur or something, but I remember back to my just out of high school days, where I used to jog every day. It was fun. I felt great doing it, and it made me feel like I was doing something good for myself.

I plan on using the treadmill for at least 30 minutes everyday, but I am REALLY unfit. My boobs are HUGE and I am worried about doing damage to my back because of them. I'm also worried that I will do damage to myself because of my weight.

How slow should I take it?
SW:109.7kg
CW:104.9kg
1st mini goal: Double digits by September 4th!

UGW:55kg
WLTD:4.8kg

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wt50NLQ/
bigboomba

Re: Building up to running...

Postby HappyGirl83 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi!

I started doing the C25K program, google it and see what you think. Basically it is a 9 week build up to running 5km for beginners. Good fun!

As for the boob issue I know how you feel! First thing I would do is make sure you get fitted for a good supportive sports bra. I sometimes wear 2 at once :oops: I have to keep the girls strapped in!
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Ditto to the boob issue. I find that racer back bras are better than normal bras for support, plus the straps don't fall down while you are running! My favourite brand for sports bras are Berlei racer-backs, but I don't know what size they go up to.

The C25K program that HG has recommended is great from what I've heard. It's a good way to ease into running. Maybe try brisk walking on the treadmill until you get fitted for a good sports bra. That way you won't be damaging the connective tissues of your breasts, you can start building up your fitness before starting C25K and it gets you in the habit of daily exercise.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ExerciseYPotential » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 am

Walking at a comfortable pace is the best place to start. From there you can build up the time or speed until you are confident enough to do some intervals of jogging and walking (say 10 seconds jogging and 50 seconds walking). Depending on your current health and fitness levels, you should be able to run for >5mins or so within the first month.

30mins/day may be unrealistic if you haven't been doing any sort of exercise for a while, but listen to your body, it will tell you if you are overdoing it. If you're not getting any major adverse affects then it should be okay to push yourself slightly further each time (ensuring you get adequate rest in between exercise sessions).

Good luck!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links to commercial sites are not permitted according to the forum rules.
ExerciseYPotential

Return to Exercise Talk