It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Needing some tips on exercise...

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Needing some tips on exercise...

Postby awillia5 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:14 am

Hi All,

I'm Mandy, I have just registered. I'm feeling a bit down and am hoping you might be able to motivate me.

For the past two months I have been following the CSIRO diet (the basic level), which I really enjoy as I don't find it restrictive. My carb intake is therefore reduced, particularly later in the day, but not totally removed.

I'm 175cm tall, 79 kilos.

In terms of exercise, I have been doing on average 3 but sometimes 4 sessions of bodypump per week, and 3 sessions of RPM / spin.

I hadn't lost any kilograms at all, but I was not too worried as I felt I was getting stronger and some of my clothes seemed to feel a bit better. I figured I had put on muscle. However, I jumped on the body fat scales yesterday for the first time, and to my shock, horror and shame I have also not lost any body fat (I'm still around the 40% mark...I know...its bad!).

Am I doing too much weight training and not enough cardio?

A few years ago I lost about 10 kilograms over a 6-8 month period by doing a similar diet (e.g. around 6000 kilojoules per day), doing RPM / spin, body attack, netball, and other cardio for around 5-6 sessions a week, and 3 weight sessions - but these were NOWHERE near as intensive as pump. The weight has slowly crept back on courtesy of a bit of travel, and completing my PhD.

All I can put my current inability to shift the weight down to is that I am not doing enough cardio. But I am doing 3 good sessions of pump per week - how does this explain the retention of body fat?

I guess I am feeling really de-motivated as after 2 months I don't feel I am seeing any results. I promised myself I wouldnt get on the scales, nor do any measurements, and that I would just go by my clothes. But now having seen the results, I am keeping a track!

Sorry if I sound like a whinger etc...just need a bit of pepping up, and a poke in the right direction if I am doing the wrong thing!

Cheers,

Mandy
awillia5

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:39 am

Hi mandy

welcome to the group :) sorry i cant really help as i dont know anything about body fat percentages and retention. but im sure someone else on here can give you sme advice and tips :) keep your chin up and dont give up. it is probably something minor that you need to adjust and you will be on your way to reaching your goal. feel free to ask any questions on the forum threads. and good luck with your program :)
kate_turner2000

Postby LadyBug » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi there,

If you are wanting to lose weight then i would suggest 2-3 weight sessions and 3-4 cardio session.

2 weights and 4 cardio is optimal though.

A rest day is a good idea as well.

Also you need to mix it up every now and then... our bodies adapt to what we are doing to them and the effectivness is lost. Maybe chuck in 30 mins of xtrainer and 30 mins of fast walking/running on treadmil once a week etc.

Good luck... let us know how you go!!! :)
xoxo ~Ali

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
LadyBug

Postby KimE » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:13 pm

Hello Mandy and welcome to the forum.

However many times per week you want to do weights is fine provided you make sure your muscles are getting at least one rest day in between. Pump is a pretty intense class but your body could still get too used to it. Have you increased the load since you started? You should be progressively taking the load up. Talk to the instructor of the class to get an idea of what and when. Personally I do weights twice a week for 30 mins although I would prefer 3 times as I think 2 is a bit conservative but I never seem to make it.

As for cardio this is the real fat burner not the weights. The weights assists in fat loss in an indirect manner due to muscle using more calories to work than fat does, therefore, the more muscle you have the more energy you will burn even at rest. If you are keen on using cardio for weight loss you really want to be doing a minimum of 4 sessions per week at a minimum of 30 mins. Maybe change some of your pump classes for combat or attack instead. But again maybe discuss with the instructors of those classes. I do at least 5 sessions per week at 40 mins plus.

I have read (not sure how accurate this is) that you can't really build muscle whilst doing weight loss as you need to be increasing your energy intake to build it and weight loss is usually around decreasing your energy intake (calories). What the weights do for you during weight loss is help you to maintain the muscle you have. The reason you look more muscular is the fat that has been lost from those areas allow the muscle to show through or be more defined. Is it possible you are confusing your body by trying to do two things at once ie. build muscle and lose fat? Just a thought.

Oh dear I have gone on a bit. Anyway apart from all that I think it is fantastic that you have the motivation to exercise as much as you do. I feel you need to find the right balance that will help your body head towards the goals you have but you motivation is awesome to be doing what you are. So big pat on the back for that alone and your body will be loving everything your doing for it.

Sing out if you would like any more info.

I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby awillia5 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:37 pm

Thanks guys - I feel much better after seeing your comments. Pump is pretty intense, and KimE your comments do make sense about body confusion - perhaps this has been the problem. Maybe I'm trying too hard to build muscle before dealing with the weight loss?

I am going to step up the cardio to 5-6 good sessions per week (RPM, attack and combat) and see how that goes. I'll also keep to 2-3 pump sessions as well.

Will keep you posted on the progress!

Mandy
awillia5

Postby Garfield » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:29 pm

Welcome Mandy. You are doing really well with your exercise... I wish I had that much energy lol.
About the body confusion... the first time I lost weight I mostly did a lot of weights and not really enough cardio. Over the whole time (about 10 months) I more than tripled my upper body strength and got quite a lot stronger everywhere else as well (I was really weak to start with lol). I did manage to lose weight while doing this, but it was very slow to come off and I didn't weigh myself very often because of that. I think I only averaged losing slightly less than half a kilo per week.
This time around there have been a few weeks where I've done a lot of cardio (5 or 6 sessions per week which is a lot for me) and only about 1 weights seesion per week. Over those first few weeks I lost a kilo or more each week, but now I am stuck in a rut.
Anyway, that was long winded and probably boring for all of you... my point was that you can lose weight while gaining muscle, it just takes a lot longer than using mostly cardio.
[/url]
Garfield

Postby awillia5 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks for that - not boring at all! Good to hear more perspectives. I think the main thing that shocked me was the retention of body fat % - I thought if I was building muscle I would at least have dropped a few percent?

Anyway, will keep you all posted on the new cardio blitz!
[/url]
awillia5

Return to Exercise Talk