It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Free Newsletter

gym's

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

gym's

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:54 am

hey guys. does anyone else feel weird when they go to their gym? when i go in i feel like people are staring at me. and when i get in there i dont know what to do. usually i just end up going on the treadmil (which i dont really like that much) and the exercise bike.(and i recently brought one) it was only a cheap one from kmart.
i also brought a couple of fitness dvd's. one is fat burner and the other is gym ball workout. i have tried the fat burner one. i got about 5 mins into it and couldnt keep up. i was exhausted! lol
anyway back to the original topic. do you guys all feel comfortable at your gyms? and when you are there what things do you do?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Hi tanya

i have a workout dvd too and i have just bought another one. they are harder than you think they would be huh! it gets better as you do them more often though.

as for the gym thing, i dont go to the gym- not since i was at school anyway! but if you arent sure what to do, maybe paying for a one off lesson with a personal trainer? they have them at the gym and they can show you how to use the other equipment safely and effectively. it would probably be a worthwhile investment. no point paying for the gym fees if you arent going to use your time there in a fun manner!!!

good luck and im sure the other members on here can give you advice!
kate_turner2000

Postby LadyBug » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:31 pm

When i was at my heaviest i did feel awkward going to the gym and did feel that people were looking at me.
So i would go during the day or an hour before they closed, it was quiter then.

Doing group exercise sessions are good, like a step class etc... because you can put yourself at the back and feel more comfortable.

These are things that i used to do... and sometimes still do!

Most importantly, i would keep telling myself that if i wanted this bad enough then it doesnt matter... because in time i will feel comfortable in my own skin... and i need to be here (gym) to do it!

Enough of my rambling now :oops:

xxx
xoxo ~Ali

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
LadyBug

Postby LadyBug » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Oh also.... at my gym they do up a program for free if you want it... that way you know where you are heading etc... and they re do it every 6 weeks.

Your gym should offer this service as well. It really is the best thing and then you are doing a good work out each and every time :)
xoxo ~Ali

[/url]
LadyBug

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:37 pm

thanks for your replies guys.
ladybug your right about if i want it bad enough then i will put up with it. i am to scared to do any classes. im scared i'll faint or something. i guess theres no reason why i cant stop for a few mins to get my breath back tho.
do you guys have any problems with energy? especially when it is hot i feel like all my energy has been zapped out of me.
[/url]

tanya

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:39 pm

oh that is a good idea to ladybug. when i go tonight i will ask if they run any thing for free to get to know the place a bit more.
[/url]

tanya

Postby LadyBug » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:43 pm

hey tanya.

When i was at my heaviest energy was a problem, but the more i pushed myself the better i got... i think it was a fitness and motivation issue though.

The classes are so good and i wish i had started them sooner. You can stop whenever you want... you can go at whatever intensity you want.

And when you finish, you feel a million bucks :D
xoxo ~Ali

[/url]
LadyBug

Postby KimE » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi tanya

You've got plenty of good advice there.

I did feel a bit awkward at first especially in the stretching area as they all seemed to know what to do. I did two things to help with this. Bought a stretching book lol. Also I bought a 3 session pack with a personal trainer they had discounted with the membership. That was really helpful and she showed me all the machines and the weight machines and got me started on some exercises.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mandie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:32 pm

Yep, I still feel awkward at the gym sometimes. It helps that a lot of older people and bigger people go to my gym, rather than trendy slim "gym bunnies"...

In classes, most instructors are great at giving high impact and low impact options.. the key is to keep moving! So if you need to stop and grab a drink, just walk on the spot as you go..

Also, maybe talk to the instructor before the class, say you haven't really done much exercise in the past and don't have a lot of cardiovascular fitness, they can usually reassure you and tell you its okay to take a break if you need it, and maybe show you some lower intensity options..

In the end, remember WHY you are doing this - you are becoming a fitter, healthier you! And everytime you leave the gym after a workout, you are one step closer to that goal.. And with each class, your fitness will increase, and you'll be closer to the day that you can do it without having extra breaks!

Stay motivated, keep it up, I know you can do it.. :D
Mandie

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:41 pm

you guys are so inspiring.
thanks heaps for al your ideas and tips.
another question. would it be good to learn how to use weights. i dont use them now because i dont know how. but you can injure yourself if they arnt used properly cant you?
are weights a good way to loose weight?
[/url]

tanya

Postby Mandie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:50 pm

YES!

Doing weights won't improve your fitness, so cardiovascular exercise is still ESSENTIAL, but doing some weights sessions 3-4 times a week is great for toning of your muscles, and helping to burn fat.

I'd recommend asking for a program from your gym - most do an assessment and go through a program with you for free, and can follow you up in 6 weeks. It's important not to just go and use EVERY machine, and also for someone to check your form and make sure you are doing it appropriately. Good luck!

I love my weights sessions, I feel so strong and powerful afterwards :D
Mandie

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:58 pm

cool thanks mandie. youve been a huge help. im going to ask them about it when i go in there tonight. i will let you know what they say. i hope it wont cost me much money. not now anyway. ive got birthdays coming up and my sisters engaement party.
[/url]

tanya

Postby Garfield » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Good luck with it Tanya.
The first gym I went to was in a small town and so there were never a lot of people. It really helped me to see women of all ages and sizes there, so I never felt too bad.
Now I live in the city and the university gym I go to is huge and intimidating (by comparison to what I'm used to lol). I signed up for a program to be made up for me (cost me $50) and they showed me how to use a lot of the machines then.
You can injure yourself if you don't use the weights properly, sure... that's why it's best to get advise off someone who knows what they're doing. Also start out with a light weight for a few sessions until you get used to it.
Have fun :D
[/url]
Garfield

Postby markymark » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:48 am

Hi Tanya,

I was like you once.

I was so embarrased to goto a gym that I joined a gym 30 mins away from home just so I could go with my cousin. The reasons why I avoided gyms was;

* I had a self-image problem, thought i was too skinny and people would look at me
* I had this idea that burly blokes would hog machines

After going with him for about 2 months with him on a regular basis, it all went out the window, and I have been floating around 2 other gyms before finally sticking with one thats just down the road!

I think the confidence within myself grew, not because my cousin was with me, but because going to the gym itself made me feel better about myself, and I could see results happening!

So in the end I tossed all my preconceptions out the window, and this has permutated into other facets of my life;

* I had a self-image problem, thought i was too skinny and people would look at me
+ We all start somewhere, and at the time, I think my lack of self confidence put me into a highly self concious mode and made me think of things that probably didnt even exist.

* I had this idea that burly blokes would hog machines
+ Not true, i've found people at gyms of all sizes are actually nice. Just be polite and you'll get treated the same way.
markymark

Postby bbella » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:52 pm

well at my gym we have a ladies only area, so if some ladies dont feel comfortable they can excerise there. this is Goodlife @ Hyperdome .

however, there are lots of 'not skinny' people who work out there and everyone seems to be comfortable. i was a bit embarssed, as i am a size 16-18, but after i saw other people who are also 'not skinny' i felt comfortable as i wasnt the only one.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wUYMqW8/]
[/url]
Starting weight-95kgs[31.7BMI]
Wk1-93.5
Wk2-92.5
Wk3-91.5
Wk4-90.5
Wk5-88.5
Wk6+7-89.5
Wk 8 - 88.5
bbella

Return to Exercise Talk