It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Free Newsletter

I dont get me understand, please.

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

I dont get me understand, please.

Postby sansarella » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:23 pm

My husband has cycled on the wind trainer 4 days this week, equalled to 4 hours. He said his calories burnt were lower today than the previous day. So the fitter you get the lower your calorie burn.

Then you'd have to increase your time to get fitter to burn more calories. Ultimately to burn what you use to burn you have to double your work. Does not seem efficient to me. A bit like a tolerance has built.

If I burnt 370 cals on a bike in 45 mins, if I get extremely fit I would have a lower heart rate and probably only burn 200 cals for the same time. Seems unfair. I dont really want to have to spend my whole day exercising to burn cals I use to burn in half that time. Sorry I'm talking in circles. Hope you know my meaning and thankyou.

Re: I dont get me understand, please.

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:04 pm

You should exercise harder to up your cals not longer. If you work harder you will get your heart rate up and burn more cals.
It is unlikely that you have become noticeably more efficient in 4 days, it is more likely that you were just not going as fast or as hard.

Re: I dont get me understand, please.

Postby ExerciseYPotential » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:16 pm

There are a few things that you can change to create variety or work harder/easier to use different amounts of energy:

F = Frequency (How many exercise sessions per week)
I = Intensity (How hard you are working)
T = Time (How long you are exercising)
T = Type (What type of exercise you are doing - cardio/resistance/interval etc.)

In the future, when you are smaller and have less energy needs you won't require to burn the same amount through exercise if you adjust your energy consumption to match the needs (or be slightly lower than) the energy your using.

Return to Exercise Talk