It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Free Newsletter

weight on scales

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

weight on scales

Postby everly » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:57 am

I feel like its pointless weighing myself on my scales as they fluctuate so much, in the morning i will be one weight, at lunch another and then dinner different again, its never one consistent weight, its usually only 500 grams to 1 kg difference, but its hard to see if im actually losing any weight. does anyone else have this? :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wc9Jld2/]
[/url]
everly

Re: weight on scales

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Yes. It's only natural as your body consumes food and water then passes it out again.

There are two ways to avoid these fluctuations as much as possible if you want to keep weighing yourself. You can weigh yourself at the same time each day, for instance before breakfast so that there isn't much food in your system to influence the reading. Even then, fluid retention, constipation or dehydration can make your weight fluctuate from day to day. You can avoid these fluctuations by only weighing yourself once per week. However that still won't avoid all fluctuations! You'll retain water more in hot weather, and women retain water the week before TTOTM. Weighing yourself once per month would avoid most fluctuations, however it would also miss any gradual weight gain so it might not suit some people. Make sure you wear exactly the same clothes (or lack thereof) when you weigh yourself. Clothing can contribute over a kilo to the scales so different outfits will alter your reading!

When I'm weighing myself I tend to weigh every day at the same time (before breakfast) and just note trends rather than take each day as gospel. If you're 76 kilos give or take a hundred grams for most of the week except for one day where you're suddenly 77.5 kilos it's almost guaranteed that one day is simply an aberration and your weight will go back to normal the following day. If, however, your weight is steadily increasing by 100g every couple of days then it should be taken as a warning sign!

A better way for measuring weight loss is to use a measuring tape or simply judge by how loose your clothes are getting. This has the added advantage of not being confused by muscle gain. Muscle is denser than fat so you could lose fat, gain muscle, be a little smaller yet still weigh the same!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby everly » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:23 pm

thankyou very much for that usefull information! :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wc9Jld2/]
[/url]
everly

Postby grant lofthouse » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 pm

dont worry about the scales they are so inaccurate because they take your overally weight without considering height, muscle mass, food, water etc, etc.

I dont ever weigh my clients. We do girth meaurements, how clothes are fitting and pictures.

hope I helped

Grant
Last edited by Jisgone on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Link removed from signature. Please refer to forum rules.
grant lofthouse

Return to Exercise Talk