It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:33 am

Free Newsletter

What is the best way to loose fat from hips and thighs?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

What is the best way to loose fat from hips and thighs?

Postby megz2010 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey Everyone,
Just wondering if I could get some tips on what the best exercise machine (or just the best way at home) to help loose fat from the hips and thighs. I am very much a pear shape so need to try extra hard to loose fat off those areas?
Thanks!
Current Weight - 100kg
First Goal - 95kgs
Second Goal - 90kgs
Third Goal - 85kgs
Fourth Goal - 80kgs

Bring on the challange I am so ready!!!
megz2010

Re: What is the best way to loose fat from hips and thighs?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi Megz!
Good news: fat on the hips and thighs is the healthier kind, fat tummies is more risky for your health
Bad news: targeted fat loss isn't really all that possible in my opinion - you gotta get it off all over (which basically requires cardio, cardio and more cardio, plus a good diet). What you CAN do is tone the muscles in that area which will make things appear better and less wobbly so to speak. More muscle mass will also increase your basal metabolism helping you burn more while you're not doing anything.

Things to do for that area: squats, lunges, cycling, running (both of which are also good cardio), the most awful exercise in the world, known as the Jane Fonda. Basically be on all fours, raise one leg up sideways (like a dog cocking it's leg to take a pee) keeping your back/pelvis flat then rotate your leg around, knee still bent (like you're trying to knee yourself in the head) keeping your leg up (imagine there's a small child sitting next to you and you have to get your leg over its head), then rotate your leg back the other way. Repeat for a number of reps, then leg down. Change sides. Do as many sets of these as you can possibly manage (my boot camp instructor likes to make us do pyramids of these up to say 10 or 20 if she's feeling particularly evil - start at one rep, then 2, then 3 etc, then you count down from 20, 19, 18 etc. If you do this you will be saying what I said "Jane Fonda must die!!!!!")
Leg raises - standing and keeping hips/pelvis level (i.e. don't twist your back to get your leg higher - that's cheating), lift your leg straight up behind you like a ballet dancer, you should feel this in your bum.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby TerryMoran » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

I can really feel for you. Weight loss nowadays has become a major concern for any individual.The key to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight isn't about short-term dietary changes. It's about a lifestyle that includes healthy eating, regular physical activity, and balancing the number of calories you consume with the number of calories your body uses.
The best way to reduce fat from your thighs and hips is by diet control. If you are overweight and most of this weight is concentrated in your thighs, buttocks and hips then you must take up a weight loss diet with low fat food items. A sensible diet plan should contain lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grain carbohydrates which are low in fat and have moderate amount of proteins. The best plan is to start your day with a bowl of cereal - say corn flakes. You should avoid sugar filled cereals. Do not add any preservative since it will only add to the fat in your body. Try having a healthy lunch filled with at least one salad. You must avoid too much coffee and instead fill yourself with fresh fruit juices minus the sugar. You can occasionally indulge in your favorite food items but remember to moderate.
Some exercise like cardio which put the entire body muscles to use is the best exercises for reducing your thighs and hips. The best cardio exercises that will help burn fat from the thighs and hips are aerobics, skipping , swimming , brisk walking and pedaling. Finding ways to be more active every day, such as walking up a flight of stairs rather than taking the elevator, or walking somewhere rather than driving, can help a person burn calories without much effort.
Weight loss success comes to those who are determined and persistent with an "I can" attitude and the ability to take responsibility for their own welfare and health.
I really hope you get what you need. Good Luck....
Regards
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed - please do not post advertising links
TerryMoran

Postby cheekymeeny64 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

Hey there,
I totally understand where your coming from, as I too am pear shaped. 2 years ago, i lost a couple of kilos and realised that most of the fat i was losing was coming from the lower section of the body. but of course i lost a lot of weight from the upper section also. I guess i sometimes get confused because i do have a fairly large bust area along with thighs and buttocks, so i start to wonder if im hourglass shaped. I walked up hills constantly, did step ups, push ups, squats, lunges, walking, running, and other forms of weight training. Ill tell you that the most effective way of losing the lower section is by walking up hills and really just walking as much as you can. I did 1 hour everyday for about 8 weeks and lost probably 6-8 kilos. Iv gained most of it again because im currently in my last year of school which of course means exams. I got stressed and then the weight started to creep up again. But i have the whole 3 months after that and i can start to lose weight again. If you would like a pear shaped friend along on your journey, then just keep posting and ill make sure to reply :D
good luck, i promise you the fat in that section will come off in no time!
cheekymeeny64

Postby Castillo8886 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 pm

To lose any kind of fats from the body we need to do some kind of aerobics exercises which are being essential for us and for losing fats form hips and thighs we need to use exercises like
1, Run up hills
2, Lunges and Squats
3, Cardio exercises
Castillo8886

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi there, I agree with some of the other responses that it is very difficult to spot reduce. I do believe that the best way to lose fat from anywhere in your body is through interval training. This is a combination of cardio and strength training which turns your body into a fat burning machine. Of course nutrition is very important, but I find that interval training is much more beneficial than long lower intensity cardio sessions. Some people think that weight training will bulk you up, but if you use light enough weights it will just increase your metabolism and tone your whole body giving it a smaller appearance. I recommend doing high intensity cardio bursts that get your heart rate up to around 80% of full capacity and then having an active recovery interval with light weights. If you do this 3-5 days a week for about 45 minutes each time, I am sure you will see fat loss results.
I personally do exercise dvds at home, which i find a lot more fun cause it means I don't have to stick to boring gym equipment and its like having a personal trainer without paying for it. There are so many awesome dvds out there nowadays, which are based on interval trainig. The Firm has some really good ones.
Hope that helps:)
Linda Wooldridge

Return to Exercise Talk